Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:49:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Buy 740 games for $5+ and help Black Lives Matter

Started by Mister Six, June 06, 2020, 11:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairman Yang

I've really been enjoying Helium Rain, it's a bare bones space sim - you just float around trading cargo and mining rocks - but it's really relaxing and the spaceship are super cute.

Sin Agog

Another recommend: Underhero.  It's like the Mario RPG of this collection.

Mister Six

Six hours left, if you don't already have it!

Sin Agog

I don't think it's going to reach its goal. :S

Mister Six

Welp, it ended up making $8,174,605.62. Not bad, but who the hell was paying in cents?!

Finished A Mortician's Tale, and found it to be rather sweet. Think of it as a rather short visual novel rather than a game, per se, and you might like it. The voice of the author is a bit cringily obvious in places (mostly in the emails from your pal and in the funeral newsletter) but the details about death and funeral rites are interesting.

Am now in love with A Short Hike. It's like being one of the animals in Animal Crossing - ie. pissing about and having a laugh and chatting with people instead of working off your debt to a cunt raccoon so you can fill your house up with worthless tat.

Sin Agog

I felt like I was being a right braggadocious alpha avian going straight to the main climb after the other guy said it was too intense for him- so's I made a point of only carrying on the climb when he was out of sight. That's how nice this game was.  Except for that shell cunt.  Even if he did make a nice necklace gift out of it, he was still the biggest cunt on the island.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Cloud on June 17, 2020, 12:36:28 AM
Humble's at it now https://www.humblebundle.com/fight-for-racial-justice-bundle
I'll be getting this, Baba is You is one I was probably gonna get anyways. Oddly seems less appealing though... loads of small games I can play in an hour or two vs the horror of having an up-to-date Football Manager game at my fingertips.

What's good in this one RE: multiplayer?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Cloud on June 17, 2020, 12:36:28 AM
Humble's at it now https://www.humblebundle.com/fight-for-racial-justice-bundle
Humblebundle seem desperate to get you to subscribe these days, and the traditional bundles don't seem to me to be as good as they were. But I like games and I like racial justice, so let's check it out.

I ain't got no deep cuts for that one.

Spelunky is the best game ever made.
Sonic and Sega all Star Racing is a great kart racer, up there with the good mario karts.
FTL is a fun but hard roguelite.
Titan Quest is a much praised ARPG, but I didn't care for it, found it really bland and far too easy. Worth a try though as the porridge might be just right for you, there's often very little in it when it comes to which ones grab you and which don't.

Mister Six

Ugh, I hate Steam. Games look decent though, and there's now a bunch of books on racism and black history too, which is a good idea.

I think you can download DRM versions for a lot of the games, if you prefer.
Why you not keen on steam? I like it myself, the positives outweigh the negatives for me, but I'm well over the wall and into the garden at this point so I'm a bit blind.

I think the PC being an open platform is it's main strength and I totally get that it's a bit of a monopoly. Is that your main issue? Things are different now but there was a point where unless you were minecraft, if your game didn't get on steam, it may as well have not existed.

Kryton

Quote from: Mister Six on June 18, 2020, 04:31:48 AM
Ugh, I hate Steam. Games look decent though, and there's now a bunch of books on racism and black history too, which is a good idea.

Curious, but why? It's better than any alternative. Where do you buy your games?

Mister Six

Well I don't do much PC gaming, but when I do buy PC games, it's usually through GOG.com.

As for why - I hate having to load a pissy little client to play the games I want to play. GOG lets you just load direct from the folder, and while it has its own download client, it's smaller, less obtrusive, and optional.

The stranglehold Steam has on everything isn't great either.

peanutbutter

It's crazy how shit the steam app is for how dominant of a company they are, especially on mac.
Then Epic came around and someone managed to put out an even worse application.

Played Wide Ocean Big Jacket last night, can imagine it pissing off some people but I liked it a lot. Trying and failing to install the Itch app right now, didn't even know they had one before but it'd be handy to have just to dabble in these and start following a few developers if nothing else.

oustropique

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 17, 2020, 01:38:59 AM
What's good in this one RE: multiplayer?

Getting massively into Elite: Dangerous at the moment. If you like space, being able to do literally whatever you want and don't mind the learning curve, it's great. A lot more forgiving and willing to guide you now than it was at launch (it will dock and launch your ship for you, which is/was legitimately the most difficult part of the game for me) but it's still helpful to have various goto websites like eddb, coriolis.io and the Wiki open. Very easy to start a private friend group and cut about on your own. No DLC through here, though, and it's just gone off a Steam sale.

As for the bundle in general, there's some popular stuff in here already mentioned that if you haven't played you should. Spelunky, Bioshock, FTL, Kerbal Space Program, Overgrowth and the first Sonic kart racer. Probably preaching to the choir there. They've given away all the Jackbox games for five quid more than this before, and NBA is microtransactions ahoy these days. A mixed bag. Some of these games were either in the itch.io bundle (Plunge, All You Can Eat) or, absent from it despite their developers being involved (StarCrossed). There are a few generic platformers that don't do it for me.

Games that stick out to me at a glance are Neo Cab (I loved Night Call), GoNNER BLüEBERRY EDiTION and Crowntakers.

Kryton

Quote from: Mister Six on June 18, 2020, 01:30:12 PM
Well I don't do much PC gaming, but when I do buy PC games, it's usually through GOG.com.

As for why - I hate having to load a pissy little client to play the games I want to play. GOG lets you just load direct from the folder, and while it has its own download client, it's smaller, less obtrusive, and optional.

The stranglehold Steam has on everything isn't great either.

I don't personally have issues with the client (especially compared to EA's [or was it Ubisoft?] attempt and one or two others like erm... Epic being a dodgy company) but I agree on the monopoly thing.

Mister Six

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 17, 2020, 01:38:59 AM
I'll be getting this, Baba is You is one I was probably gonna get anyways. Oddly seems less appealing though... loads of small games I can play in an hour or two vs the horror of having an up-to-date Football Manager game at my fingertips.

Yeah, I feel the same. There's a thrill about a grab-bag of games I've never seen, even if they're small and indie, that isn't replicated by the promise of old, well known titles like Spelunky and - for whatever reason - playing System Shock 1 in 4k.

Mister Six

Went and got the Humble Bundle, and it looks like under the Steam key section, there are separate bittorrent downloads for some of the games. Does anyone know if these are DRM-free, or at least Steam-free versions? If so, I might gift some of these keys. Currently at work so can't experiment.

Zetetic

Mister Six

MojoJojo

The Steam Bundle just reminds me of how much stuff I've got sitting unplayed in my steam library. There's some stuff in there I'm interested in (e.g. Kerbel Space Program) but they're all massive time sinks when I've still probably got at least another month in Spiderman to go.

The books interest me. Including the out of place one on the Rust programming language.

peanutbutter

Finally making a go at some of these I hadn't already played

GNOG was really fun for the small patch I played it. It's kinda just a collection of imaginary mechanical puzzle things for kids with loads of knobs an shit you to twist and turn
Lyne is a really neat puzzle game, prolly better on mobile??
Hidden Folks is a bit of a peach I reckon anyone could enjoy. Basically an interactive Where's Wally with a very neat handdrawn art style
Kids is shit, found the controls actively nauseating to do at points.

Limmy's streamed a bunch of them since.

Cloud

STILL working my way through Night In The Woods.  10 hours play time my arse.  This will all keep me occupied for a very long time!

ASFTSN

Quote from: Chairman Yang on June 14, 2020, 10:29:53 PM
I've really been enjoying Helium Rain, it's a bare bones space sim - you just float around trading cargo and mining rocks - but it's really relaxing and the spaceship are super cute.

This is a great little game. Super cold and peaceful atmosphere and you can be quite sandbox-y with it. I got quite hooked on it for 25 hours or so.

H-O-W-L

Bought this, downloaded like 30gb worth of these games and never played any of the cunts.
Typical, innit? At least the money went to a good cause ... ?

peanutbutter

Quote from: H-O-W-L on July 17, 2020, 03:10:52 AM
Bought this, downloaded like 30gb worth of these games and never played any of the cunts.
Typical, innit? At least the money went to a good cause ... ?
get the launcher, having a big heap of files on your harddrive is just gonna be a paint, the launcher at least gives a semblance of order to it all

Probs gonna play Sagebrush this weekend, looks like something I'll lap up

H-O-W-L

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 17, 2020, 09:56:19 AM
get the launcher, having a big heap of files on your harddrive is just gonna be a paint, the launcher at least gives a semblance of order to it all

Oh, believe me, I mod games and do 3D design and texture work for a living nowadays, so my computer would terrify and boggle the minds of most. It's a cascading array of files and directories.

ASFTSN

Anyone had a second delve into the original itch.io bundle and found anything they overlooked first time round?

I really like Vektor 2089, feels like a WipEout game but done in Micro Machines top down style:

Jerzy Bondov

No but I've had a first dive into it and enjoyed A Short Hike and A Mortician's Tale. Very shallow cuts I know. That Vektor 2089 looks mental, definitely one to add to the list.