Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:21:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

JK Rowling TERFing her legacy into the bin

Started by Dog Botherer, June 07, 2020, 01:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Botherer

can only assume people are discussing it in the Glinner thread but widely rumored TERF and hack writer JK Rowling has gone full mask off with the gender critical shit. as expected it's going down like warm piss, yet the daft cunt won't stop posting.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah just seen it bleeding into my feed.

Two things have really made me laugh, this:

And the fact Glenn Greenwald weighed in with this:

The best @jk_rowling
commentary there ever was, or ever will be, came from @frankieboyle

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1269405090068168705

I never understood the appeal of this Harry Potter shit. It reminded me of Blue Peter.

Did you enjoy your eight hours at primary school? Well here's another hour of 'escapism', which is basically more school and babysitting. Harry Potter was like that, but worse. It was not only a celebration of school, but a celebration of boarding school. It's a form of sick elitist indoctrination in young minds. You can see this in the spells they incant, which are all derived from Latin. And in the characters' names. Harry and Hermione. Tells it all, really.

Give children Discworld instead.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Thinking of her publicist in this trying time.

chveik

fucks sake, she's still going at it. what a weird cunt

Dog Botherer

i loved harry potter because i was a nerd who got bullied to fuck and wished i didn't have to go the that school that i fucking hated. then i got into discworld and i don't think i read a word of harry potter again.

she's made her money so she doesn't give a fuck but it's definitely gonna hurt her legacy.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 07, 2020, 01:15:35 AM
I never understood the appeal of this Harry Potter shit. It reminded me of Blue Peter.

Did you enjoy your eight hours at primary school? Well here's another hour of 'escapism', which is basically more school and babysitting. Harry Potter was like that, but worse. It was not only a celebration of school, but a celebration of boarding school. It's a form of sick elitist indoctrination in young minds. You can see this in the spells they incant, which are all derived from Latin. And in the characters' names. Harry and Hermione. Tells it all, really.

I'd gone through and really enjoyed the child Pratchett stuff by the time Potter came on the scene, I think I read the first one because my parents went through them all as it was fashionable, I thought it was shit. I did go through a couple of my dad's Discworld books though and thought they were ok.

Rob Rankin's even better tbh.

chveik

Quote from: Dog Botherer on June 07, 2020, 01:19:44 AM
i loved harry potter because i was a nerd who got bullied to fuck and wished i didn't have to go the that school that i fucking hated.

yeah same.

I wish we wouldn't make the thread about her books though...

GoblinAhFuckScary

Wonder if post-hangover she'll be scrambling to assemble her shattered mask.

Zetetic

Quote from: chveik on June 07, 2020, 01:22:11 AM
I wish we wouldn't make the thread about her books though...
Or at least if we do, it should be about LGBTQ representation in the books.

Which, in practice, amounts to: https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Sexual_orientation

Hmm. Perhaps she could retcon Voldemort as trans.

Mango Chimes

"If sex isn't real, there's no same-sex attraction." That's okay, you can just extratextually announce it and that's the same as it existing.

marquis_de_sad

"If sex isn't real, there's no same-sex attraction."

I can't help but feel this is 90% down to her being a dolt who doesn't understand how language works.

Sebastian Cobb

It's quite charitable to say an author doesn't mean what they say.

bgmnts

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 07, 2020, 01:42:16 AM

I can't help but feel this is 90% down to her being a dolt who doesn't understand how language works.

And she has influenced an entire generation of people.

Scary.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 07, 2020, 01:42:16 AM

It's more in this case that she's just repeating the same tired old slogans that these lot batter into people tabloid-style.

Ian Benson

It's weird that she's picked right now as the perfect time to really get into this. Like it's very telling, I think, like she's had enough of BLM, thanks.

Never read any of her books or seen any of the films, almost as if I knew.

Absolutely love that description of Blue Peter above. Could never put my finger on why I couldn't stand that show. The only episode I ever watched all the way through was the one about recycling cans, where they were checking them with magnets, and I was like "nah, fuck this."

Mr_Simnock

just to check, are you joking? it reads like a joke, it would be great in that pseuds corner bit of private eye

Mango Chimes

The article she links to that kicked off this torrent is a fucking odd choice. It doesn't say sex isn't real, quite the opposite. It's all about women and girls, and the specific healthcare impacts of sex. It has a line or two saying things like "girls, women, and all people who menstruate", and predominantly talks about women and girls.

Quote from: RowlingPeople who menstruate.' I'm sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?"

The word "women" alone is used literally 10 times in the article. There will be articles that do awkward gymnastics in attempts to be inclusive, but this isn't it.

Mr_Simnock

"An estimated 1.8 billion girls, women, and gender non-binary persons menstruate, and this has not stopped because of the pandemic."

I wonder if it's bits like this that has triggered her off? But as you say what an odd article to get going on.

imitationleather

Wish I was rich and famous enough to lose it all and still be alright.

Billy

I auditioned for a role in Philospher's Stone back in 2000, but they wouldn't tell me what role it was as they said it would make us too nervous. The following year I got to the final audition round for another movie, and they gave the part to Rupert Grint (a month older than me) - I know that isn't confirmation that I could have been Ron Weasley, but it put me off Potter and everything about it ever since - and to my generation and younger, that's as blasphemous as saying pre-Sex Pistols that the Queen can go fuck herself.

Therefore I hope this ruins the Potter legacy forever, all books and DVDs are mass-burned in a fire and the Palace Theatre gets turned into a Nando's.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: imitationleather on June 07, 2020, 02:19:10 AM
Wish I was rich and famous enough to lose it all and still be alright.

That would suggest there are rather controversial opinions you have that you would love to spout if only you were rich and famous (joke)

imitationleather

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on June 07, 2020, 02:21:58 AM
That would suggest there are rather controversial opinions you have that you would love to spout if only you were rich and famous (joke)

I think The Goodies is crap.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 07, 2020, 01:45:53 AM
It's quite charitable to say an author doesn't mean what they say.

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 07, 2020, 01:48:40 AM
It's more in this case that she's just repeating the same tired old slogans that these lot batter into people tabloid-style.

To clarify, I'm not trying to downplay her commitment to terfiness. I'm making fun of a writer apparently not knowing that people can use words in loose, colloquial ways (same-sex attraction for same-gender attraction) that results in the same words having different meanings in different contexts.

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on June 07, 2020, 02:05:47 AM
just to check, are you joking? it reads like a joke, it would be great in that pseuds corner bit of private eye

Everything I said was sincere and I stand by it, robustly. If you want to criticise, you should attack the substance and not the style. It just won't suffice, nowadays, to say OHMAYGAWWDDIDDEE REELEE?

No one notices and no one cares. Bring something serious to the table, please. It's time to pull up the trousers and play the big boy games.

ProvanFan

Fuck yes. Luckily I was too hard for all that.

Cloud

Yeah she's been dropping hints for years so it's no surprise.  Everyone's "mask off" now, following the lead of Trump with his fascism.

Always found it really disappointing considering how wholesome and accepting her Harry Potter world was - but it's been said for a while now that "those books were written by Hatsune Miku"

Quote from: Cloud on June 07, 2020, 02:48:42 AM
Always found it really disappointing considering how wholesome and accepting her Harry Potter world was

I didn't read the books and I've only caught bits and pieces of the films. But it didn't seem very inclusive to me.

It looks like cloaked and bespectacled, Latin-literate, boisterous, cloisterous, we-are-the-special-ones, Eton, mummy's-boys, live-in-a-bubble without any trouble, nice smart blazers and dance for the queen, 'see me mother-dear?' and 'oh yes I do, petling,' prancing on the plaza, MARCHING UP AND DOWAHN THE SQUA-AH, tit-about, cadets and bagpipes, mincing and dicing, cheeky Clarksons, up to no good, but still very good and unimpeachable boys.

That's what Harry Potter says to me, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLJ8ILIE780

Mister Six

Looks like she's lost more than 34,000 followers in the past day. Ha!

Read the first four books when everyone was talking about them. They're good, and the third one is great.[NB]For kids' books, I mean, I'm not saying they're up there with Catch-22 or Slaughterhouse 5 or anything.[/NB] Fourth one was bloated, mind you, which is why I decided I couldn't be bothered with the rest. She's got a decent imagination, an accessible prose style and is good at crafting characters. She's not a shit writer, and saying she is comes across as disingenuous pouty, faux rebellious shite, regardless of how annoying the ubiquity of her creation might be.

She is a TERF cunt, though, so fair enough if you want to slag her off for that.

EDIT: And as mentioned above, Discworld is obviously massively superior, both in sheer quality and the fundamental decency of its politics.