Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:44:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

JK Rowling TERFing her legacy into the bin

Started by Dog Botherer, June 07, 2020, 01:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 16, 2020, 06:47:02 PM
That's a bit unfair. You don't know that for sure.  Douglas Adams, and maybe even John Lennon might have pleasantly surprised everybody on Twitter.

True, I don't know for sure. And I like em (or their work anyway) both so it'd be nice if they bucked the trend in this hypothetical scenario where they still lived. It just seems unlikely as Twitter seems to always bring out the very worst in people. I used to think Dawkins was a genial genius once upon a time, in the days before he surrendered his dignity and sanity to that infernal app.

Ferris

Quote from: Mister Six on September 16, 2020, 06:24:05 PM
Not far at all, but this lot wouldn't have been pushing for gay rights or desegregation or an end to slavery. They'd have been content to tut performatively but say, "Well, what can be done?" or "Change will come eventually, if you just suffer in dignity."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0nFvhhCulaw

Ferris

bgmnts

king_tubby

I keep thinking I should start a thread on the Hard Times but 1) I'm lazy (still not done that TBEU one) and 2) it's normally fairly niche and unless you have some knowledge of the punk/hardcore scene from 30 years ago can be a little impenetrable but they're stepping outside of their comfort zone for this one:

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/experimental-book-features-unreliable-author/

dissolute ocelot

Burning books has a bad reputation, but you're cleaning out your uncle's house and find a copy of Mein Kampf or Jeremy Clarkson's What A Fucker, Old Mucker, or whatever, what are you going to do? There's a level of shit where you can chance the recycling bin, like most Ian McEwan, it's only going to harm the person who reads it. But some books positively have to be destroyed, and the glues can be harmful to composting.

Shit Good Nose

Rather than burn books, or giving them to a charity shop risking someone else reading them, may I suggest slipping them into confidential paper recycling?  That way you know for sure they're getting cross-shredded, AND being recycled into something more useful like shit paper.

phantom_power

What is "'oo" an abbreviation of? Is that the only character that is written phonetically?

Cold Meat Platter

No apostrophe in "coulda" then. Seems like you're trying to get as many in as possible but ok.

Rizla

Anthony Edens just been made Proime Minister an' Chelsea have been promoted to da first divishun

Ferris

Quote from: Rizla on September 17, 2020, 12:26:22 AM
Anthony Edens just been made Proime Minister an' Chelsea have been promoted to da first divishun

*Dick Van Dyke pops his head in from 1964 via his time machine, furiously taking notes*

idunnosomename

she really isn't a good writer, I don't really understand why Harry Potter exploded so much, I mean it went way beyond the "YA" bracket.

Imagine if the author of Animorphs was a millionaire TERF though

Rizla

Speaking as someone who's never read a single page of her work or seen any of the films, I reckon quite aggressively and confidently that a case could be made for her being responsible for a massive drop in standards of commercial imaginative fiction in the last 30 years. Literary equivalent of the fucking Star Wars resurgence. Magic boys. Midichlorians. Fuck off you cunts. Stop just making bollocks up for the sake of it. That's not what CS Lewis did.

Fucking load of escapist shit with zero social conciousness. What good does it do?

Fuck off with your magic compasses and you dragons you cunts. FUCK OFF (I am pissed)

Seriously my kids ever bring her books in the house they're getting burned.

The kids that is.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: king_tubby on September 16, 2020, 08:49:09 PM
https://twitter.com/NickMDuffy/status/1306273216189665280

jesus christ jo don't write out the accent phonetically

go listen to how people talk, the slang and idioms they use, capture the feel of their speech that way

maybe do at least a picosecond of googling before you write a minority character so that you know what "halal" means

Rizla

She can't because she is not a writer, she is a plagiarist hack.

Imagine an alternative universe where Stewart Home, instead of remixing NEL pulp books, applied the same logic to Narnia and Hobbit books. That's Jo.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 16, 2020, 06:47:02 PM
That's a bit unfair. You don't know that for sure.  Douglas Adams, and maybe even John Lennon might have pleasantly surprised everybody on Twitter.

No, Lennon was a spiteful cunt and a massive anti-semitic homophobe even "for the era".

bgmnts

To be fair, Richard Adams writes a geordie fox's accent out phonetically in The Plague Dogs and it works.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: bgmnts on September 17, 2020, 09:06:41 AM
To be fair, Richard Adams writes a geordie fox's accent out phonetically in The Plague Dogs and it works.

I don't think the issue is the phonetic thing so much as getting the cadence and slang right. If you do that, it doesn't matter if it's phonetic or not.

bgmnts

Quote from: Rizla on September 17, 2020, 01:18:04 AM
Speaking as someone who's never read a single page of her work or seen any of the films, I reckon quite aggressively and confidently that a case could be made for her being responsible for a massive drop in standards of commercial imaginative fiction in the last 30 years. Literary equivalent of the fucking Star Wars resurgence. Magic boys. Midichlorians. Fuck off you cunts. Stop just making bollocks up for the sake of it. That's not what CS Lewis did.

Fucking load of escapist shit with zero social conciousness. What good does it do?

Fuck off with your magic compasses and you dragons you cunts. FUCK OFF (I am pissed)

Seriously my kids ever bring her books in the house they're getting burned.

The kids that is.

To be fair I was a Lotr kid rather than a HP kid but Lotr was escapist shit with no social consciousness (if you believe Tolkien's views on allegory). I suppose Rowling just got lucky that we are a generation of incredibly infantalised idiots, so her books for children could last much longer and inspire a rabid fanbase.

You could also argue that the original Star Wars dropped the standards of the science fiction, even before the prequels.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 16, 2020, 01:01:39 PM
Suzanne Moore really reminds me of Marsha from Spaced. I can't see her byline picture without thinking "'ello kitten!"

You have damaged part of my brain. I hope you're happy.

Buelligan

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 16, 2020, 01:01:39 PM
Suzanne Moore really reminds me of Marsha from Spaced. I can't see her byline picture without thinking "'ello kitten!"

Ohhh, don't say that.  Don't ever say that.  That's really horrible.  Marsha was a poor old gentle glass half full girl with a heart of gold, Suzanne Moore isn't.

It's sad to pollute Marsha with Suzanne but worse, far worse, it lets a little bit of Marsha's lovability shine through the crack in Moore's bird's nest skull and bless her.  She doesn't deserve it.  She really doesn't.

Thomas

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 17, 2020, 01:34:10 AM
maybe do at least a picosecond of googling before you write a minority character so that you know what "halal" means

'alal

Buelligan

She's just a fucking wanker.  I take little interest in her but I do know the area where she lived quite well.  I do know that she insists on saying she lived in Tutshill, mostly not a particularly salubrious area, it's OK but that's all.  But if you asked any local about whether Rowling's youthful home was in Tutshill, they'd laugh, she lived in an area nearby, where posh hippy types, head teachers and macrame lovers lived.  She pretends to have the common touch to people who don't know what that is.  Just as she pretends to have imagination or a gift with language.  She must reckon we're all (Emma Bridgewater) mugs.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 17, 2020, 07:28:17 AM
No, Lennon was a spiteful cunt and a massive anti-semitic homophobe even "for the era".

I chose Lennon as the other example because I read a 'what would they be doing now if they hadn't died young' piece about ten years ago and the writer suggested that Lennon would have really embraced social media.  Yeah, he was very flawed and long before accusations of spitefulness and anti-semitism he would have been cancelled for pulling 'mong' faces in the sixties.  John would double down by writing a song called All We Need Is Kindness. Who knows? Maybe he'd changed for the better after spending six months in hospital recovering from getting shot in 1980?

ajsmith2

What are the Lennon antisemitism accusations? Not heard of any beyond what some have said they hear he's singing in the fade out to 'Baby You're A Rich Man', which without any more evidence is borderline 'Paul Is Dead' level 'hear what you want to' stuff.