Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:22:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

JK Rowling TERFing her legacy into the bin

Started by Dog Botherer, June 07, 2020, 01:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 29, 2020, 12:37:33 AM
lol eddie redmayne cancelled
He was already cancelled for playing a trans person while not being trans (The Danish Girl)[nb]Possibly a bit unfair as he spends most of the film pre-transition but whatever[/nb], and working with Depp on Fantastic Beasts won't help. He's basically fucked whatever he does (I assume he's contracted for every fucking Fantastic Beasts film they want to make before everyone dies of boredom, so he's got to work with Rowling for ever and ever.)

Bernice

Blue ticks really are our most persecuted class. Why, just because one spouts off uninformed bullshit to millions of followers for attention should one get told to fuck off? I know why the caged bird tweets #istandwithjk #bekindonline

frajer

Quote from: Bernice on September 29, 2020, 11:59:18 AM
Blue ticks really are our most persecuted class. Why, just because one spouts off uninformed bullshit to millions of followers for attention should one get told to fuck off? I know why the caged bird tweets #istandwithjk #bekindonline

Laurence Fox's first Reclaim speech.

Blue Jam

GoblinAhFuckScary

dissolute ocelot

So is Guardian Books the progressive TRA wing of the Guardian media group?

Sebastian Cobb

It's quite interesting how some of these hacks will move seamlessly into more reactionary rags if their usual paymasters won't print their bile. I know the Guardian is pretty shit at this but I can only assume the reason Suzanne Moore is howling about it in The Spectator is because she wasn't allowed to go as far as she wanted in the Graun. So much for being a bulwark to the right wing press eh.

pcsjwgm

Quote from: John Cleese
Dear Twits, I have added my name to the signatories of the letter in solidarity with JKRowling

Proud to be in the distinguished company of Ian McEwan, Andrew Davies, Frances Welch, Lionel Shriver, Ben Miller, Tom Stoppard, Frances Barber, Griff Rhys-Jones and Matthew d'Ancona
https://grahamlinehan.substack.com/p/cleese-is-in

The distinguished company of Matthew d'Ancona?

Ferris

Well these letters are inherently disingenuous by design.

"50 people think this, here's their names"

Right well thousands of people think the earth is flat and millions will vote for trump in a months time - listing their names and occupations out one by one doesn't make their viewpoint any more valid or interesting. It's supposed to make you think "ooh well that's a lot of names, maybe there's something to this" but by comparison to any population of anywhere, it's negligible. I could get more signatories to fix the gents at the office I worked in (prior to covid).

Basically a PR exercise for cunts, who want to make sure you know either a) they're ignorant twats who don't know what they're "signing", or b) they're cunts.

Tweedy

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 01, 2020, 02:16:08 AM
Well these letters are inherently disingenuous by design.

Basically a PR exercise for cunts, who want to make sure you know either a) they're ignorant twats who don't know what they're "signing", or b) they're cunts.

Literally four posts prior to this, someone linked to a letter signed by 'respected and talented' pro-trans people. Presumably this is also 'inherently disingenuous' and populated by 'ignorant twats'.

State of this fucking forum.

Bernice

I assume Ferris voiced his full throated support for that other letter, which is why his hypocrisy has piqued you so.

jobotic

The distinguished company of a perma-pissed Frances Barber taking a moment off screaming "racist" at Jeremy Corbyn.

Buelligan

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Tweedy on October 01, 2020, 08:54:58 AM
Literally four posts prior to this, someone linked to a letter signed by 'respected and talented' pro-trans people. Presumably this is also 'inherently disingenuous' and populated by 'ignorant twats'.

Struggling to interpret this intention of this post.

Buelligan

Yes, it's almost as if the various members of the forum may have discrete, individual, ideas about things.  Imagine that!

QDRPHNC

lol. Christ, the lack of self-awareness.

Ferris

Well that's been done as a counter argument - they're making the same point I am: "just because these 50 twats signed a letter doesn't mean they know their arse from their elbow - look, here's one 200 of us have signed that directly contradicts it"

The kicker being that the signatories on the second letter are 4x more numerous, and presumably have half a clue about what they are supporting and why. They wouldn't have gone around writing such a letter off their own bat, it's a direct response.

Not sure exactly why that makes you angry but such is life.

Jerzy Bondov

A woman called LIONEL is transphobic? I've heard it all now.

Buelligan

I tell you.  From wikipedia -

QuoteAt age 15, she changed her name from Margaret Ann to Lionel because she did not like the name she had been given, and as a tomboy felt a conventionally male name more appropriate.

Cunt Shriver, earlier

Thomas

The letter is basically condemning the phenomenon of the trending topic, isn't it? #RIPJKRowling?

Do they know how Twitter works? Or that not everybody tweeting on a hashtag is being entirely serious, or that the terming of the hashtag itself might be exaggerative? Or that the trending of a topic generates conversation (including criticism of the topic) that will further perpetuate the hashtag, whether or not the participants agree with it? Or that a provocative hashtag might be used to carry a serious message? Or that anybody can sign up under any name and spout anything, purely to troll and shitpost?

I presume some of them do, but the qualified arbiters of taste love a disingenuous culture war.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on October 01, 2020, 03:24:45 PM
I tell you.  From wikipedia -

Cunt Shriver, earlier

Former tomboy according to her/his wikipedia.

Buelligan

pigamus

She's got an app on her phone that goes "Oh, Lionel" like Judi Dench whenever she does a controversy

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on October 01, 2020, 03:56:04 PM
Did you read the bit I quoted piggers?

No, because none of this interests me. Solidarity against Rowling, however. Detestable waxwork.

Urinal Cake

Has the Onion done a thing about an open letter against open letters?