Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:38:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

JK Rowling TERFing her legacy into the bin

Started by Dog Botherer, June 07, 2020, 01:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: bgmnts on November 26, 2020, 12:58:15 AM
No idea who any of those people are beyond the ones mentioned, a few of them are definitely Star Wars characters.

Nicola Coughlan is one of the main cast of Derry Girls.

JaDanketies

Most of the hashtags for International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women and Girls. were terfs bemoaning that people who had mentioned the Transgender Day of Visibility hadn't done anything for this day. Sad that it has got wrapped up in this terf one-upmanship bollocks. There was some meme criticising Angela Rayner for not mentioning it, so I visited her wall and she did eventually mention it. It was clear that the Labour Party had =https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1331695334154760197knocked up some bullshit in the last minute to heed off the chorus of people condemning them for marking a day about trans people but not a day about violence against women.

I mean, it's not surprising people didn't know it was International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women and Girls. My calendar didn't send me a notification. Anyway on the Trans Day of Visibility there were loads of trans people talking about it and loads of terfs getting mad about it, and on International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women and Girls there were a few smattered tweets that were outweighed by a bunch of terfs getting mad about it not being a big deal. Shut up about the terfery for a moment and make it a big deal yourself, like what trans people did!

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Mister Six on November 26, 2020, 01:52:07 AM
Haha, yeah:

Paloma Faith,
Mona Chalabi,
Ash Sarkar
Rehab Jaffer
Sirin Kale
Astrid Everall

I bet Katie Ward is feeling pretty stupid right now. "Why oh why didn't my parents call me Eva Marie Sofie Grettve von Rosen?"

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 15, 2020, 02:54:41 PMThe times still banging on on the pretend outrage over "womxn" is startling. Everyone knows that's an old rad fem trope extensively used in spoofs (like "male chauvinist pig") that is meant to remove "man" from "woman" so it isnt subordinate to it

I remember reading human->huperson->huperchild jokes back in 1984 or so.

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 15, 2020, 02:54:41 PMI mean they know this, of course. Hmm pretending not to understand things. Good job if you can get it.

I'm not so sure.  Given the levels of ignorance of history I've observed from journalists in the past, it could be genuine.  But the onus should be on the papers' senior staff to put them right.

JaDanketies

I remember reading a 'no need to get hersterical' joke in Wicked Words from the Horrible Histories series perhaps over 25 years ago

Leo2112

The writing of JK Rowling and Suzanne Moore awarded by BBC journalist for being 'brave'

https://twitter.com/amolrajan/status/1340923513373417473

phantom_power

I don't think anyone who doesn't seem to understand what prose is should be giving out literary awards. And what does this sentence even mean:

"I take absolutely no view whatsoever on the issues that she raises."

when he clearly takes her side and she is a brave warrior and people who oppose her are nasty trolls

dead-ced-dead

Sometimes living in the UK feels like living a parallel universe where the rules don't make sense.

phantom_power

Did he give an award to Tommy Robinson for being clear and concise in his racist fuckwittery?

bigfatheart

Quote from: phantom_power on December 21, 2020, 05:01:21 PM
"I take absolutely no view whatsoever on the issues that she raises."

Pure 'I buy FHM for the articles' shite.

JaDanketies

For someone who has been cancelled by the woke stasi, there were a hell of a lot of her books in Tesco when I went to do the Christmas shopping. Right front-and-centre too, where you might normally see the deals on Jaffa Cakes. I was tempted to do something petty like put other books in front of them.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Leo2112 on December 21, 2020, 04:08:12 PM
The writing of JK Rowling and Suzanne Moore awarded by BBC journalist for being 'brave'

https://twitter.com/amolrajan/status/1340923513373417473

Last year's winner/nominees were: 1. Clive James, fair enough a good writer but right after his death, so not entirely impartial; 2. "bending of the rules" to reward Sam Friedman and Daniel Laurison who the judge had worked with; 3 an article on how great Jeff Bezos is; 4 "bending the rules of this prize to accommodate reportage"; 5 a New Statesman piece on Dominic Cummings that failed to decide if he was genius or twat.

In 2018 the single greatest piece of writing was by R&B singer Jamelia, beating an article by the cunt who ruled over Patisserie Valerie's demise and something about how great Enoch Powell was.

In summary Amol Rajan seems to love stories by or about enormously rich and powerful people (or 90s pop stars), especially if they're racists, transphobes, or cunts.

Cuellar

canadagoose

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 21, 2020, 05:14:23 PM
For someone who has been cancelled by the woke stasi, there were a hell of a lot of her books in Tesco when I went to do the Christmas shopping. Right front-and-centre too, where you might normally see the deals on Jaffa Cakes. I was tempted to do something petty like put other books in front of them.
I'd be tempted to pick three up and shove them in the freezer section, under a pile of frozen peas, just for fun.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Amol RajanFinal thing: I'm impartial. I'm not endorsing any of the positions taken by any of these writers. If you want to bombard me with post-structuralist analysis of how I'm reinforcing discourses and hierarchies of oppression, or whatever it might be, honestly, it's not worth your time. I just love great writing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-55350905?__twitter_impression=true

This is absolutely absurd.

'I'm impartial but here is me burping some of my prejudices in the same sentence'.

However, the whole idea of being able to marvel at 'great writing' in some vacuum impervious to moral content is the worst fucking thing of all.

Although not entirely the same, it reminds me of Tom Townsend from the film Metropolitan whose stance was to only read literary criticism rather than the book itself.

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 21, 2020, 05:32:55 PM
However, the whole idea of being able to marvel at 'great writing' in some vacuum impervious to moral content is the worst fucking thing of all.

I'm not happy about thinking this, but it would be a lot easier to stomach with some better writing.

phantom_power

Didn't even notice the cunt bigging up Enoch Powell when talking about great writing. If only there were examples of pithy, succinct writing that didn't involved transphobia and incitement to racial hatred

Ferris

Quote from: Zetetic on December 21, 2020, 05:36:05 PM
I'm not happy about thinking this, but it would be a lot easier to stomach with some better writing.

I'll go further - she is a terrible writer.

Trying to defend this as "ooh I don't have an opinion just wanted to give her an award" is like fifa trying to defend hosting the World Cup in Qatar "because they bribed the arses off us because we want to grow sporting infrastructure in the region".

Kelvin

Based on his past nominations/winners, isn't this cunt just picking whatever will get him the most clicks and mentions on twitter?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: canadagoose on December 21, 2020, 05:26:24 PM
I'd be tempted to pick three up and shove them in the freezer section, under a pile of frozen peas, just for fun.

wang 'em behind the wheetabix

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: phantom_power on December 21, 2020, 05:38:14 PM
Didn't even notice the cunt bigging up Enoch Powell when talking about great writing. If only there were examples of pithy, succinct writing that didn't involved transphobia and incitement to racial hatred

'It's just Great Writing mate, simple as!', he opines from his cairn of Domino's boxes, hurriedly chasing likes from his nexus of vacuous centrist droids.

What a horrid arselicking little cunt he is. Even his face has been mangled into a grovel through years of obsequiousness.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

There's a nice moment on Mid Morning Matters, the Partridge thing where Alan is asked if he could have a dinner party with anyone from history who he would pick.

This would be brilliant to ask Amol Rajan, who could possibly even beat Alan's offering for their utter inanity and total husk-like void of inspiration.

I have met people in real life who design their personalities around lads magazine corralled groupthink, so terrified are they of standing out in any way that could reduce their social standing. Mostly it is small time, pathetic stuff. But how the fuck this one has managed to sludge their way up to having their own fatuous 'award' on the BBC is mind boggling.

phantom_power

Hitler but only because he was notoriously good at charades

rack and peanut

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 21, 2020, 05:14:23 PM

When in a Waterstones a few weeks ago, they were flogging her books half price. I could be wrong but I like to think they're desperate to get rid of them while they still can.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Imagine if Amol Rajan was working at the BBC while Jimmy Savile was still raping kids on the reg.

You can almost read his 'No-one could have known...' homily now, burying his knowledge of the additional paedophilic cum filled anuses his silence midwifed.

Kelvin

Exactly, Shoulders. When-      Wait, what?

idunnosomename

Remember last year Amol Rajan was roasted by Peter Oborne on the whole client journalist thing. he's not really a tory like a lot of tittle-tattlers say, but he is a big BBC bod sensible centrist (went to Cambridge and married to a cambridge academic lol)

The Enoch Powell quote is just incredible though, but he couldnt have used in a better context lmfao

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Thank you for referencing that, idunnosomename. I have been discussing that very incident with a friend on whatsapp. Oborne lost his rag towards the end which is a shame because he had been making Rajan look every inch the vacuous chummy tosser he is.

Quote from: Kelvin on December 21, 2020, 06:33:44 PM
Exactly, Shoulders. When-      Wait, what?

Apologies for the viscera, however I thought it useful to juxtapose the cowardice and complicity (which was fostered in a UK media culture Rajan not only inhabits but typifies) with a severe, perhaps the single severest example of a real-world consequence which arose from that culture.

Also, we still need to acknowledge this really happened. It's not like it's outlandish to imagine Rajan deciding not to report a paedophile because his career would be jeopardised and because alleged individual's status made them too-big-to-fail. That is what actually happened on a grand scale in recent British history.

The refusal by those in the media to use the knowledge they possessed, to sacrifice one's career (yes, possibly more still) for the sake of the lives of many children happened on a grand scale, while Savile was kept protected by a mafia-like structure of holding information over others; mutually assured destruction.

To complete the double down, I believe it honours the victims by encouraging the reader to confront the true horror of what was inflicted on them, most of whom were victims primarily because so many people did nothing despite hundreds of opportunities to end it for good.

That Rajan's career has happened on a different timeline, and perhaps has never been put in a truly awkward situation or moral dilemma (unlikely, and also is it really a dilemma?) doesn't really negate my point. I'm simply predicting he would be keeping his head well down in a situation like that.

JaDanketies

Quote from: rack and peanut on December 21, 2020, 06:18:05 PM
When in a Waterstones a few weeks ago, they were flogging her books half price. I could be wrong but I like to think they're desperate to get rid of them while they still can.

When I saw them - The Ickabog and whatever the latest entry in her weird detective series is - I told my son that I'd never buy him or read him Harry Potter books. But I give Roald Dahl a pass. Lefties and their blindspot for antisemitism eh /s

earl_sleek

There is a difference in that Dahl is dead, so he can't profit from anyone buying his books, whereas buying Rowling's books is contributing to her professional success.