Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:06:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

JK Rowling TERFing her legacy into the bin

Started by Dog Botherer, June 07, 2020, 01:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Kankurette on January 02, 2021, 11:53:55 AM
Yep. One of my cousins worked as a football development officer in Gibraltar, promoting women's football, and she's come up against a bunch of macho men who think women and girls shouldn't play football. It's a steep hill to climb.

Also note the criticism Andy Murray has received for lowering himself to being trained by a female coach, and how people became more swift to blame his losses on his coach rather than his performance on the court.

I dunno- looking at Andy Murray's career stats I get the impression Amelie Mauresmo must be doing something right:

https://www.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/12139462/andy-murray-says-former-coach-amelie-mauresmo-was-harshly-judged-because-she-was-a-woman

Andy Murray is a great bunch of lads.

earl_sleek

Quote from: bgmnts on January 02, 2021, 11:51:02 AM
My mother was involved in football and coaching girls and boys football for a good long while and yes the misogyny runs deep.

So imagine how bad the men are!

Buelligan

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 01, 2021, 05:02:02 PM
THANK YOU.

As a girl who was more into astronomy and dinosaurs and creepy-crawlies than make-up and ponies, someone whose hobbies have mostly been traditionally masculine ones, and who grew up to work in STEM I have experienced this my entire life and met plenty of women in the same boat.

For me the low point was when I decided on a career change and quit my job to do an MSc in neuroscience. Around then I found I could be talking to a man and it would be perfectly pleasant until my degree subject came up and then there would be a very noticeable change, he'd start belittling me or talking over me and pontificating on the (very) little he knew on the subject and trying to make out that he still knew better than me. It was weird, like they felt threatened and had to defuse the threat by taking me down a peg or two.

It was the same when I used to DJ, with men assuming I didn't really understand what I was doing and was just trying to look cool and impress them. I reacted to that with the feeling that I had to work extra hard on my technical skills, that I had to beat mix and couldn't have got away with being a selecter (like plenty of male DJs I worked with and who never had people mocking their lack of technical ability). I think women in a lot of fields get that same feeling that they have to work twice as hard as them men if they want to be taken seriously.

The funny thing is that for all that men go on about "Fake Gamer Girls", "Fake Geek Girls" etc I've known far, far more men who have feigned an interest in something to try and impress others. Men who pretend to like football to fit in with their mates; Reddit STEMlords who take science as gospel until they see a study claim women have higher IQs or black people aren't genetically predisposed to criminality or Myers-Briggs is bollocks and then start banging on about how correlation ≠ causation and how the sample size must be too small; hipster types who feign a deep and lifelong interest in photography, retro gaming, classic rock etc when they really only have the most superficial understanding of it.

I do wonder if there's a bit of "it takes one to know one" when these men accuse a woman of feigning interest in something to try and impress the opposite sex.

I didn't see this until it was quoted (the new button issue) but, yeah.  Motorcycles, house-renovation, gardens.  I made an incredibly beautiful potager here.  An act of dedication and love.  People talked about it, visited it.  A man, a gardener, was talking to a male friend of mine, in front of me, asking this bloke (who had no interest in gardens or any other kind of manual work) what the soil was like, when he'd planted things, in a garden made entirely from an abandoned plot by me and only me.  If I chipped in, he ignored me.

On the motorcycle thing, one of my happiest moments (I have many, motorcycling was the best thing I ever did) was racing this person, really fucking hard, thrashing them and wheeling back into the parking, taking off my helmet and letting free my hair as they limped in behind me.  I know it's wrong but that keeps me warm.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Buelligan on January 02, 2021, 01:10:38 PM
I made an incredibly beautiful potager here

I bet you did

really fucking hard, thrashing them and wheeling back into the parking, taking off my helmet and letting free my hair as they limped in behind me. 

You dirty old bollocks

I know it's wrong but that keeps me warm.

I bet it fucking does.

Janie Jones

Telegraph today published an interview with Eddie Izzard in which she commented on JK Rowling. It's behind a paywall, I haven't read it. This is pasted in from the MailOnline:

Eddie Izzard has defended J.K. Rowling, saying she doesn't believe the author is transphobic.

Last June, J.K., 55, was accused of transphobia after making a controversial comment about menstruation, two years after she liked a tweet which referred to transgender people as 'men in dresses'.

The author denied claims of transphobia as she insisted she 'respects every trans person's right to live any way that feels authentic and comfortable to them.' 

Eddie, 58, told the Daily Telegraph: 'I don't think JK Rowling is transphobic. I think we need to look at the things she has written about in her blog.'

Eddie went on: 'Women have been through such hell over history. Trans people have been invisible, too. I hate the idea we are fighting between ourselves, but it's not going to be sorted with the wave of a wand.

'I don't have all the answers. If people disagree with me, fine - but why are we going through hell on this?'

(End of pasted-in bit)

jobotic

I used to have a colleague who was well into football and a massive Swansea City fan. When Jan Molby took over Danish TV came to the Vetch to interview fans about what they thought about it and they asked her husband - he was not into football at all (and also English) - and he told them that and said "why don't you ask my wife?" and they walked off.

idunnosomename

Ah well. Maybe Eddie is a good trans now? Like Debbie

Zetetic

I think it might be horrible how hilarious I find this:
[Eddie] added that he hopes his latest endeavour, running a marathon a day, will "make people look at trans in a different way".

Zetetic

I'm trying to work out which group of people I'm most prejudiced against when it comes to estimating their ability to run marathons.

phantom_power

Although Eddie said she doesn't think Rowling is transphobic, it was hardly a ringing endorsement. There are implications that she isn't helping matters and is being divisive when she could be bringing people together. It was much more "I don't think she is transphobic but..." than "I don't think she is transphobic and..."

GoblinAhFuckScary

boooooooooooooooooooooooooomer

Actually really pisses me off making these unhelpful backwards comments with their vastly greater platform than other, less privileged trans people that have to bear the brunt of it. Caitlyn Jenner kind of fuckery

idunnosomename

Give the marathon thing a rest Eddie it's getting a bit tedious now tbh

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 02, 2021, 02:32:28 PM
Give the marathon thing a rest Eddie it's getting a bit tedious now tbh

I mention this more often than Zetetic says he hates England, but Izzard's marathons aren't really marathons, she takes like 7 hours per marathon, it's just walking a lot every day with rests and food and drink, any young, healthy person could probably do 7 in 7 days. Soldiers have been doing not much less for much of history.

Buelligan

What do they want, a medal or something? 

canadagoose

Oh Izzard, you silly sausage. I wonder if she'll change her mind after getting transphobic backlash from the usual bunch post-pronoun-change. Probably not.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Poisson Du Jour on January 02, 2021, 02:47:32 PM
I mention this more often than Zetetic says he hates England, but Izzard's marathons aren't really marathons, she takes like 7 hours per marathon, it's just walking a lot every day with rests and food and drink, any young, healthy person could probably do 7 in 7 days. Soldiers have been doing not much less for much of history.
and there's no dressing up as a chicken or anything!

Mister Six

Quote from: Janie Jones on January 02, 2021, 02:19:28 PM
Telegraph today published an interview with Eddie Izzard in which she commented on JK Rowling. It's behind a paywall, I haven't read it. This is pasted in from the MailOnline:

Eddie Izzard has defended J.K. Rowling, saying she doesn't believe the author is transphobic.

Funny how the DM is quite good about respecting people's pronouns. And surprising that the Telegraph - which had a trans woman columnist and seems marginally less awful than most UK media on trans issues - kept referring to Eddie as "he".

Wonder if Eddie is planning a career as a Labour politician and doesn't want to piss off the middle-class liberal scum base.

petril

I'd just like to add that, for reasons that have been mentioned before, JK Rowling definitely is

Mister Six

Quote from: petrilTanaka on January 03, 2021, 01:22:37 PM
I'd just like to add that, for reasons that have been mentioned before, JK Rowling definitely is

What, like Darkseid?

Mister Six

GoblinAhFuckScary

king_tubby

Paul Calf

Quote from: Kankurette on January 02, 2021, 11:53:55 AM
Yep. One of my cousins worked as a football development officer in Gibraltar, promoting women's football, and she's come up against a bunch of macho men who think women and girls shouldn't play football. It's a steep hill to climb.

Yeah, but Gibraltar...

Blue Jam

Dr Chuck Tingle has always been very supportive of the trans community. Good on him.