Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:19:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

JK Rowling TERFing her legacy into the bin

Started by Dog Botherer, June 07, 2020, 01:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr. logic

Sorry, like, but whereas follower losses may hold some weight against Linehan, there's nothing to remotely 'ha!' about when it comes to her. I find some of the race car stuff a bit unpleasant in the Linehan thread (mainly because I never realised what a bunch of suarve domestics the CAB masses were), but we're going to have to try way harder to sneer at a women who lives in a fucking castle and follower counts isn't going to cut it.

I've read the first seventy pages of the first book. Found it incredibly boring. Drab and humourless.

Mister Six

Nah, I'll take it. It means 34,000 people at least aren't fucking cunts.

thenoise

Yeah, well I read the first sentence of the first book and immediately vomited. I think it's the worst book ever written and anyone who likes it should be dragged outside and shot.

phes

One thing I'm fairly certain of is that her association with glinner is not gonna end well now she's officially mask off. You can't sell kids stuff and hang out with someone so bad at this that he calls kids groomers.

Danger Man

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 07, 2020, 01:15:35 AM
Harry Potter was like that, but worse. It was not only a celebration of school, but a celebration of boarding school.

Yes. I watched the first film and thought 'This isn't really about magic, it's about private schools'

(You have to remember that a lot of Cabbers have had a private education, so maybe they can't see it)

Never read any of the books.

Zetetic

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 07, 2020, 02:32:42 AMsame-sex attraction for same-gender attraction
Hmm. I sort of fear that analysis is taking Rowling's first claim too seriously.

I think it's a tiny minority of people that would claim:
- Sex "isn't real"
- Sexual orientation isn't at all about people's sexes (even if our perception and experience of those sexes are overwhelmingly via stuff that's not essential to those sexes)

But you don't nee either of those to claim:
- Trans women are women, and can be lesbians
- Lesbians can identify as non-binary and still be lesbians
etc.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 07, 2020, 01:15:35 AM
I never understood the appeal of this Harry Potter shit. It reminded me of Blue Peter.

Did you enjoy your eight hours at primary school? Well here's another hour of 'escapism', which is basically more school and babysitting. Harry Potter was like that, but worse. It was not only a celebration of school, but a celebration of boarding school. It's a form of sick elitist indoctrination in young minds. You can see this in the spells they incant, which are all derived from Latin. And in the characters' names. Harry and Hermione. Tells it all, really.

Give children Discworld instead.

Surprised it took this long for the backlash to start on CaB. Mind you, take a look at the Dr. Who threads and weep.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 07, 2020, 01:37:53 AM
"If sex isn't real, there's no same-sex attraction." That's okay, you can just extratextually announce it and that's the same as it existing.

E.T.: The Extratextual Extrasexual Alien

Bernice

Whereas in the working men's clubs the length and breadth of the country, salt of the earth types in flat caps are toasting to Rowling's bravery in giving the loony left a good spanking. Her portrait now hangs next to the Queen's behind the bar, and it's customary to raise one's glass to it and say "ma'am" before getting into the first pint of mild.

Butchers Blind

I'm glad I have zero interest in all this.  It seems quite breathless.

Jockice

JK Rowling? Isn't that the bloke who got shot in Dallas?

mjwilson

I mean, the books can't even be bothered to take a stand against slavery, so what do you expect?

I'm intrigued how this would've played out had Rowling not added further comments after the response to the tweet about the article.

The worst crime is her profile pic. Anne Robinson beamed inside a UFO.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 07, 2020, 10:11:19 AM
Im going deeper underground

The young Paul Weller' s follow up to his group's smash hit single dismissed as "lazy".

BritishHobo

Quote from: Billy on June 07, 2020, 02:21:02 AM
I auditioned for a role in Philospher's Stone back in 2000, but they wouldn't tell me what role it was as they said it would make us too nervous. The following year I got to the final audition round for another movie, and they gave the part to Rupert Grint (a month older than me) - I know that isn't confirmation that I could have been Ron Weasley, but it put me off Potter and everything about it ever since - and to my generation and younger, that's as blasphemous as saying pre-Sex Pistols that the Queen can go fuck herself.

Therefore I hope this ruins the Potter legacy forever, all books and DVDs are mass-burned in a fire and the Palace Theatre gets turned into a Nando's.

Was it Thunderpants?

BritishHobo

It's just sad, all this. I was a big defender of Rowling for a long long time. She was a single mother on benefits, who created a fantasy series that became a global phenomenon and spawned a massive film franchise which she kept rooted in Britain, along with a theme park and more, making her a massive success, and yet she regularly dropped under being a billionaire because she kept giving money to charity - and she railed against the Tories and the Daily Mail types for making life comfy and cosy for the middle classes at the expense of the working class. What better example of a British success story? Much better celebrating her than fucking Richard Branson, or whatever. I defended her for years because of all that - okay, she said Dumbledore was gay, but only because someone asked her, and I believed that was a genuine part of the character, that she knew about. Back then.

Now though, it's all grim, isn't it? Backed up the 'No' side in the Scottish indyref, piled on Corbyn in the leadership elections while claiming getting the Tories out was more important than anything, and then basically seemed to just disappear for the last five nightmarish years. Only to reappear now, during a global pandemic, at the peak of Black Lives Matter protests shaking the US and UK, to basically go 'Hello! Spotlight on me for a mo - I'm announcing I'm on this side of the trans debate!' Yeah, hi Jo, I don't know if you noticed, but black people are trying to have their voices heard - pick your moment, jesus.

Quote from: Danger Man on June 07, 2020, 08:02:49 AM
Yes. I watched the first film and thought 'This isn't really about magic, it's about private schools'

(You have to remember that a lot of Cabbers have had a private education, so maybe they can't see it)

Never read any of the books.

That's how I felt too.  Mrs BB loves the books & films.  I've told her I'd have hated them as a kid, never mind as an adult.  Bunch of Wanker Watsons fannying about with magic wouldn't have interested 8-year-old me.

Outside of all that, Rowling always seemed a decent sort to be fair - extremely disappointing that she's gone a bit Glinner.

Plenty of kids & adults love the stories, and that's fair enough.  They don't seem to be lacking in imagination nor a sense of fun.  Just not for me.

pigamus

Are a lot of Cabbers privately educated?

Captain Z

Harry Potter and the woman who used to be from Iran

peanutbutter

Anyone saying "they should read Discworld instead" totally misses why Harry Potter wound up as big as it was.

Growing up in the 90s, I WANTED to read, was bored outta my mind and it looked like a big time sink, but the shelves for kids were stuffed with these series that had like 80 different volumes apiece, and even if that wasn't intimidating you had no clear idea of where the starting point was a lot of the time, you'd try reading one and discover it's stuffed with references to things in other ones which for a very small number of people might lead to "wow there's a whole world I have to uncover here" but for most would've just made it impenetrable.

Kids books increasingly catering towards the weirdos who read 7 books a week and excluding the ones who'd try but struggle to get through one a fortnight left a huge opening for a series that was:
1. Linear
2. Long enough to feel big, but not long enough to be overwhelming
3. In the process of being released. Instead of having 7 books to read all at once you had 3 to catch up on and then 4 to read at the same time as other people were reading

The real achievement RE: Harry Potter was how the first 3 or so were marketed, and how no other publisher managed to get their alternatives into the conversation at all. By the time you got to the fourth the momentum was already there and it had become a cultural phenomenon to the point she could've put out any basic shite and it would've sufficed. I reckon the first three are perfectly fine kids books and do a good job of ageing with their core readership. The latter ones less good but still decent at ageing with the (at this stage fracturing into subgroups) readership

Anyways, I hope this doesn't put loads of boring people off quoting Harry Potter all the time, it's one of the easiest ways to dismiss a dating profile

BritishHobo

With regards to the private school thing, I think it's the opposite for most people. Most people wouldn't have been familiar with private school life, and the novelty of that was part of the appeal for people - a big school in a castle where the kids stay there all year round and have massive feasts and shit. I don't think it ever occurred to me as a kid that it had anything to do with private schools. It was just a magic school.

I will stick up for the books, having not read them since I was about fifteen. Maybe I'd find them shit now if I read them back, but I liked 'em well enough. She did well at taking kids into this magical world. I suppose I miss a lot of the criticism because, being a kid throughout the books coming out, I missed the aspect of it where teenagers and adults were also hyping it up. If it happened now, and everyone my age was going 'you need to read these books about a little wizard boy and his wizard mates at school', I'd just go 'nah I don't'.

touchingcloth

Zetetic

Quote from: mjwilson on June 07, 2020, 09:51:34 AM
I mean, the books can't even be bothered to take a stand against slavery, so what do you expect?
The house-elves are probably the hardest element to make sense off in a way that doesn't reflect quite badly on Rowling.

Everything else that people might worry at is, I think, a matter of drawing on very common tropes for their accessibility - these might reinforce certain stereotypes and attitudes, of course, but it doesn't feel particularly deliberate at least.

The house-elves' relationship with their masters feels relatively novel in concept (although sentient subordinate or servitor races aren't unknown in fantasy and sci-fi stuff) but that Rowling wasn't really able to handle the execution in a way that didn't end up with "actually it turns out these people pretty much love being slaves". Which is a bit unfortunate.

Zetetic

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 07, 2020, 11:24:53 AMI don't think it ever occurred to me as a kid that it had anything to do with private schools. It was just a magic school.
And the obvious power of that is to take something semi-recognisable from readers' daily lives and make it more exciting and novel.

Danger Man

Quote from: pigamus on June 07, 2020, 11:16:40 AM
Are a lot of Cabbers privately educated?

There was a "What school did you go to?" thread a few years ago and private schools did very well indeed.

Zetetic is going to have a hernia when he sees me using this as some kind of statistical analysis but it's all we've got.