Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,308
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:10:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

JK Rowling TERFing her legacy into the bin

Started by Dog Botherer, June 07, 2020, 01:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Buelligan on June 16, 2020, 02:50:45 PM
If you look you'll see the lenses are just ordinary bits of glass, he wears them so's you can tell the difference between him and Ged of Earthsea.
There's another quite big difference between Harry and Ged, which is very much of the zeitgeist right now. I confess it completely passed me by when I first read the trilogy[nb] turns out there are two more books in the series that UKLG added later, for similar reasons around expanding the horizons of the genre. These develop into a very different, very bleak, but very believable story. Well worth your time and trouble if you didn't already know about them, especially if you grew up reading the usual suspects of fantasy literature.[/nb], not least because none of the other fantasy that I had read up to that point had even considered the possibility. But I suspect this may be better suited to a different thread.

According to the Daily Mail, my very favourite newspaper by the way, she has a Latin tattoo on her wrist.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8164745/Author-J-K-Rowling-reveals-Latin-alchemy-tattoo-etched-wrist.html

In the hand of a brown man. This is rebellion - devilment of the highest order!

Buelligan

I'd say 'a part of Tolkien lives inside me.' But I learned about the activities of his priest son, and that would be a bad thing to say.

phantom_power

Everyone's favourite odious chancer Lozza Fox has weighed in on the issue and he is........wait for it.........on JK Rowling's side, astonishingly. He says Radcliffe and co are spoiled millionaires biting the hand that made them.

bgmnts

I saw this last night. These people genuinely have no actual ideology, they just side with whoever is broadly on the side of the right wing or offensiveness just to cash in. There is little connecting these folks beyond a grim, unhealthy obsession with furthering their career and lining their pockets in however way they can.

Sad, sad people.

PlanktonSideburns

Buelligan

It means awaiting a guardian (hence the Viner comment). 

Quote from: phantom_power on June 20, 2020, 09:58:03 AM
Everyone's favourite odious chancer Lozza Fox has weighed in on the issue and he is........wait for it.........on JK Rowling's side, astonishingly. He says Radcliffe and co are spoiled millionaires biting the hand that made them.

Odd you mention him.  I was only thinking a few seconds ago, apropos of nothing, what a complete fucking cunt he is.  I think I dislike him more than The Rowling Herself. 

QDRPHNC

Quote from: bgmnts on June 20, 2020, 10:07:43 AM
These people genuinely have no actual ideology

That's exactly it. Whatever those on the "other side" say, they say the opposite.

Black lives matter, wear a mask, etc.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 20, 2020, 05:14:37 PMThat's exactly it. Whatever those on the "other side" say, they say the opposite.

Hence the term "reactionary".

LOL at today with her.

as mentioned in the latest Glinner thread. She made a statement about how women should be listened to - a general statement anyone of sound mind would agree with - so stephen king RT'd. Not knowing the wider context of what JK was saying as a terf. JK went full brown nose.

Someone asked King about this. He made clear trans women are women.

JK swiftly deleted her pathetic praise. I've butchered this story of nothingness. This tweet sums it up better

https://twitter.com/sims/status/1277381145706053632?s=19

Barry Admin

It was a fucking brilliant moment, she was absolutely scundered. Linehan had been spunking all over the place on his silly Twitter clone vanity project too:

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 28, 2020, 09:26:21 PM
hahahaha

he's fully insane now, isn't he

king_tubby

It got lost on the Glinner thread, but I pointed out that Rowling was quoting Dworkin yesterday, which is ironic considering Dworkin was massively pro-trans.

here4glinner

Quote from: funtimefrankie on June 29, 2020, 02:22:54 AM

JK swiftly deleted her pathetic praise. I've butchered this story of nothingness. This tweet sums it up better

She also unfollowed him. Sad, really. 100% part of the cult. No tolerance for disbelief.

mobias

Quote from: here4glinner on June 29, 2020, 09:09:33 AM
She also unfollowed him. Sad, really. 100% part of the cult. No tolerance for disbelief.

As far as I can see JK Rowling is still following King.

dissolute ocelot

Mango Chimes

We talked about shibboleths and dog whistles before, and how they aren't noticeable if you aren't familiar with "gender critical" Twitter, but I wonder how this reads to normal people: "When so-called leftists like @lloyd_rm demand that we give up our hard won sex-based rights, they align themselves squarely with men's rights activists."

What would you think "hard won sex-based rights" means? Women's rights? The vote, participation in public life, financial autonomy and equal pay aren't sex-based rights, they're human rights free of sexual discrimination. Sex-based women's rights include the right to safe abortion, bodily autonomy and maternity pay. Russell-Moyle may be a dickhead, but he's not arguing against those. What are men's rights activists?

Maybe you'd just skip over it.

Buelligan

GoblinAhFuckScary

HEY so i'm currently arguing with an IRL pal who left town and got involved with terfism and she came out with this utterly bonkers statement

QuoteSex segregation is the only way to achieve 'equality' in a lot of the public sphere ie sports, politics, professional fields, education

Ah yee. segregation be the only way for equality

phantom_power

This "hard won sex based rights" is such a mantra of fuck-all. What rights are being infringed by trans women? Toilets and changing rooms, maybe sports. How was the right to have a separate toilet a hard won right? I must have missed the battle of the bogs in the 60s. That is even before you take into account that cubicles exist and the only thing communal about toilets is the sinks

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 29, 2020, 12:50:12 PM
HEY so i'm currently arguing with an IRL pal who left town an got involved with terfism and she came out with this utterly bonkers statement

QuoteSex segregation is the only way to achieve 'equality' in a lot of the public sphere ie sports, politics, professional fields, education

What

What

...Sports is the only one that makes any sense. Sex segregation in politics? What, women have a separate government? Separate professional fields???

Tell your dumbass friend that if sex segregation was strictly enforced in politics and job professions we'd see what's already been happening to so-called "pink collar" jobs (i.e. their devaluation both monetarily and socially) happening to the "women's version". A fucking separate political body for women would exclude them from actual power because no way would men give that up or even allow parity with them. Education? Well, there may be something to be said for girls-only and boys-only schools at the secondary level just in terms of hetero teenagers not having to deal with the opposite sex every day and the drama/teasing/body-shaming/pressure that goes with it. The downside to that of course is that an all-boys' school might not offer things like Home Ec. because not enough pupils want to do it, and an all-girls' school might face the same problems with Woodwork/Metalwork or even some of the "hard" sciences. She's been on radfem blogs too long. Talking out her hole.

idunnosomename

The "battle of the bogs" is nonsense. Separate toilets (a euphemism, of course, because it mean "washing place") come from sex segregation in highclass households which has been typical in human history until well the 20th century really. You didn't have public toilets until the Victorian period when engineering allowed for sewers to be built. (I mean they had them in ancient times but they also had slaves to clean them out)

It's not like women were raped in toilets in the 17th/18th century. If you were posh, you waited till you got home. If you were poor, you went in the road.

It's also about the development of leisure time that people would be away from their home long enough to need a crap away from it. Also not drinking water all the time.

It's odd they make an appeal to it being recent and radical when they could simply make a traditionalist arguement. But then that would clash with second wave feminisms core beliefs i guess

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 29, 2020, 01:12:35 PM...Sports is the only one that makes any sense. Sex segregation in politics? What, women have a separate government? Separate professional fields???

Or, you could do her a favour of being a little generous, and assume that by politics and professions she's talking about women-focused initiatives (like female-only shortlists) that are specifically aimed to counter sex-based biases. For example, the problem of employers considering young women at risk of taking maternity leave, and therefore preferring to employ men.

Buelligan

Are you from, like, 1932, or something?

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 29, 2020, 01:18:53 PM
The "battle of the bogs" is nonsense. Separate toilets (a euphemism, of course, because it mean "washing place") come from sex segregation in highclass households which has been typical in human history until well the 20th century really. You didn't have public toilets until the Victorian period when engineering allowed for sewers to be built. (I mean they had them in ancient times but they also had slaves to clean them out)

It's not like women were raped in toilets in the 17th/18th century. If you were posh, you waited till you got home. If you were poor, you went in the road.

It's also about the development of leisure time that people would be away from their home long enough to need a crap away from it. Also not drinking water all the time.

It's odd they make an appeal to it being recent and radical when they could simply make a traditionalist arguement. But then that would clash with second wave feminisms core beliefs i guess

As I repeatedly say, if someone is willing to rape other people, chances are, they're not really put off by a picture of a stick-woman in a triangular dress.  It's not like garlic for vampires.

If rapists are in thrall to public signage, however, the answer's simple - design and produce a NO RAPE sign and put them up everywhere.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 29, 2020, 01:21:04 PM
Or, you could do her a favour of being a little generous, and assume that by politics and professions she's talking about women-focused initiatives (like female-only shortlists) that are specifically aimed to counter sex-based biases. For example, the problem of employers considering young women at risk of taking maternity leave, and therefore preferring to employ men.

But it is a feminist position to extend the same maternity leave to men as a human right, not a woman's right, as it is trying to break the notion that women are responsible for childrearing and skipping thus possible discrimination. Same goes for equality measures intended to break open nepotistic boy's clubs. Make them open to everyone, not just the same old

Poobum

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 29, 2020, 12:50:12 PM
HEY so i'm currently arguing with an IRL pal who left town and got involved with terfism and she came out with this utterly bonkers statement

So the Taliban were the ultimate feminists all along? To be fair, Islamic cultures have some pretty progressive views on trans rights as well (by no means perfect or to be aspired to). Just to share something that I found fascinating when I read it. https://elementropy.blogspot.com/2006/06/ Basic compassion of a Ma'dan marsh arab in 50's Iraq that would put a typical TERF to shame.

Ferris

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on June 29, 2020, 01:52:19 PM
But it is a feminist position to extend the same maternity leave to men as a human right, not a woman's right, as it is trying to break the notion that women are responsible for childrearing and skipping thus possible discrimination. Same goes for equality measures intended to break open nepotistic boy's clubs. Make them open to everyone, not just the same old

Maternity/paternity leave is a huge deal if pushing for equality.

I took 7 months of leave when my son was born, but didn't get any support from the gov, from my firm, and I had to apply for leave separately. The default benefits forms all named my wife as the beneficiary for all financial support - to change them to me, I needed a signed letter from my wife (certified by a lawyer). My wife was paid by the government, and by my firm. I lived on savings.

I was told repeatedly my my employer that I couldn't do what I was doing (unofficially, of course) and that did we have enough money? It might get difficult if we had an unexpected expense... etc etc

In the end, it was one of the best decisions I've made and despite several men at my office saying how jealous they are... not a single one has taken advantage of it, and it has been used as a stick to beat me with in raise/bonus negotiations. Sometimes jokingly ("haha well you did just take a big holiday!") and sometimes not. Crabs in a bucket.

It seriously needs to become normalized - the positive impact on wage inequality, parenting duties, and overall quality of life for all considered would be massive.

I'll stop banging on about it now.

bgmnts

Paternity and maternity leave does genuinely turn me anti-natalist for a brief period.

Mister Six

Quote from: Poobum on June 29, 2020, 02:25:08 PM
So the Taliban were the ultimate feminists all along? To be fair, Islamic cultures have some pretty progressive views on trans rights as well (by no means perfect or to be aspired to). Just to share something that I found fascinating when I read it. https://elementropy.blogspot.com/2006/06/ Basic compassion of a Ma'dan marsh arab in 50's Iraq that would put a typical TERF to shame.

Blimey, fascinating stuff, that. Would be interesting to know the origin of that acceptance - whether it emerged naturally or whether it came as the result of pressure on society - and to compare with the origins of transphobia in Western societies (I don't think either of these can really be known, mind you).

Zetetic

It's worth noting that this sort of thing is looked to by transphobes attempting to draw a link between increasing visibility of trans issues in the West and homophobia.