Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:05:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

JK Rowling TERFing her legacy into the bin

Started by Dog Botherer, June 07, 2020, 01:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

The TERFs are going after Margaret Atwood now, doing mental gymnastics to try and "explain" how a very intelligent woman with undeniable feminist credentials could possibly be in disagreement with them.

Yeah, that author of a classic novel which explores gender policing and rigid ideas of what defines a woman and which is based on real world events which she researched in depth? Probably just a bit confused. What about that other author, the one who writes about wizards for children and whose politics are a confused mess? Yeah, let's stand with that one instead.

tomasrojo

She's not even the best-selling woman author of all time. Agatha Christie would easily outsell her. Apparently, the best-selling fiction author of all time. Unfortunately, Agatha Christie's opinion on trans issues are unknown at this time.

Blue Jam

Jackie Collins, Barbara Cartland and Danielle Steele may all have outsold her too.

Could it be that a lot of Harry Potter fans simply haven't read much else?

mjwilson

buttgammon

Quote from: mjwilson on July 07, 2020, 12:20:13 PM
Have we enjoyed the "there were no female authors before JK Rowling " tweet yet?

https://mobile.twitter.com/dntmakeitworse/status/1280128467930144769

Yes! My timeline was basically a feminist version of 'Losing My Edge' after that, which was brilliant.

chveik

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 07, 2020, 12:13:46 PM

No. in this case, it's just a nutcase that thinks JKR is objectively the most important woman writer.

JaDanketies

We need to disconnect the internet connections for any British person whose major artistic accomplishments are two decades old, pronto

Someone, quick, get Dave Benson Phillips to define 'woman'

Zetetic

Quote from: mjwilson on July 07, 2020, 12:20:13 PM
Have we enjoyed the "there were no female authors before JK Rowling " tweet yet?

*looks to camera like from The Office*

I can't help but wonder what Michael Winner would have made of all of this.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 07, 2020, 12:13:46 PM
Jackie Collins, Barbara Cartland and Danielle Steele may all have outsold her too.

Enid Blyton would be up there too.

is it too much to ask for a non-problematic British woman to write a massively popular book series?

Buelligan

You fucking what?

daf

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Buelligan on July 07, 2020, 02:03:45 PM
You fucking what?

probably should've specified "shit for kids"

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: tomasrojo on July 07, 2020, 12:04:19 PM
She's not even the best-selling woman author of all time. Agatha Christie would easily outsell her. Apparently, the best-selling fiction author of all time. Unfortunately, Agatha Christie's opinion on trans issues are unknown at this time.

Also outsold by Barbara Cartland, Danielle Steel and Enid Blyton!
Not the best selling fiction author of all time though as that would be god herself!

Armin Meiwes

Oh someone's already covered that off. 723 books Barbara Cartland wrote apparently, I mean I know they prob weren't THE highest quality ever but that is absolutely nuts!

Armin Meiwes

As is selling between two and four BILLION copies (Agatha Christie).

Bleeding Kansas

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 07, 2020, 12:42:45 PM
Someone, quick, get Dave Benson Phillips to define 'woman'

"They all look the same when they're covered in gunge."

daf

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on July 07, 2020, 03:30:38 PM
723 books Barbara Cartland wrote apparently, I mean I know they prob weren't THE highest quality ever but that is absolutely nuts!

The first one - Jigsaw -  written in 1925, when she was 19, is apparently quite good -

original book jacket blurb :
QuoteA real novel from within. The first book by a young author is a vivid and moving story of the difficulties and temptations which confront a young girl on her first entry into the richest and gayest set of London society. The intoxication of her new freedom and her love of adventure lead her inevitably to exploit her wit and beauty to her own unhappiness, but by good luck and her own native goodness she finds peace and happiness at last. It is a dramatic conflict of emotions, written with a zest and freshness which will win the admiration of all readers.

It received great acclaim from the critics who described it as :
Quote'a first novel of considerable promise' and 'a novel which is such a powerful study of "West end life with the lid off", that I can hardly believe it's been written by a girl'.

tomasrojo

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on July 07, 2020, 03:31:22 PM
As is selling between two and four BILLION copies (Agatha Christie).

Someone told me last year that Christie's estate is currently the most valuable  estate of any artist (I presume of dead artists whose works are substantially still in copyright). Seems plausible.

Harry Potter is very clearly the most successful and profitable literary creation of all time. I doubt the billionairess's feelings will be hurt by pointing out that Agathie Christie shifted more copies over 70+ additional books.

Interestingly though the first book in the series sold about 40 million copies more than any of the others. Lots of unsatisfied customers? Sad!

Sin Agog

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 07, 2020, 03:49:53 PM
Interestingly though the first book in the series sold about 40 million copies more than any of the others. Lots of unsatisfied customers? Sad!

Those were just the people annoyed that you couldn't play Angry Birds on it (at least not on the paperback version).

idunnosomename

God everytime I go in Aldi and see all the Harry Potter trash in the middle I just want to pull my pants down and do a big shit all over it.

Even more so now since Rowlings started being such a cunty TERF!!!!!!

Buelligan

Please do it but wear a face mask and observe social distancing.

tomasrojo

Harry Potter is very clearly the most successful and profitable literary creation of all time. I doubt the billionairess's feelings will be hurt by pointing out that Agathie Christie shifted more copies over 70+ additional books.

It probably is the most financially successful, even adjusting for inflation, because earlier literary phenomena couldn't have had Star Wars-style merchandising tie-ins.

I bet her feelings are quite hurtable though. Otherwise why would she be tweeting this rubbish from atop her skyscraper of cash?

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Dog Botherer on July 07, 2020, 01:59:32 PM
Enid Blyton would be up there too.

is it too much to ask for a non-problematic British woman to write a massively popular book series?
That she seems to be fitting readily into the Blyton mould of problematic writer of pap for children makes me feel more confident that she and those who think like her are indeed on the wrong side of history.

Zetetic

Worse than "Not long before Rowling was published, women authors were unheard of" are responses which mention the Brontë's without further context.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dog Botherer on July 07, 2020, 01:59:32 PM

Has anyone asked Louise Mensch what she thinks about this?

Russian plot, probably.

pigamus

Quote from: Zetetic on July 07, 2020, 05:59:37 PM
Worse than "Not long before Rowling was published, women authors were unheard of" are responses which mention the Brontë's without further context.

I always thought they were women as well to be honest

ProvanFan

Harry Potter is very clearly the most successful and profitable literary creation of all time.

No that's God

ahhhhh