Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:09:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

JK Rowling TERFing her legacy into the bin

Started by Dog Botherer, June 07, 2020, 01:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 13, 2020, 04:31:37 PM
There was an old thread where you talked about how hard Glinner lost his mind when you attempted to say one of the episodes of the IT Crowd was less than perfect on his blog, right? This predates the trans episode but was a good early-ish indicator of the sort of person he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XshKgUwoEU

Jon Ronson talking to Graham Linehan in the before time (in the long long ago), where Linehan, in a moment of insight and good humour, notes that the most important thing to him is that you like his work, with an anecdote about Hitler turning up at his doorstop and saying, "Ah, Graham Linehan! I'm a big fan!"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIt's a matter of personal happiness for people and I think that's what you should concentrate on

Miriam Margoyles being as wonderful as ever, not to mention insightful. She's expressed a position which frames the issue in such a way as to bring people in, it detoxifies the debate.

Milo

Quote from: Cuellar on July 13, 2020, 01:20:37 PM
Yeah, I think the hall at Christ Church was used as Hogwarts dining hall? It was heavily CGIed in the films I think, but people still queue round the fucking block to see it.

That's why it was the venue for the latest Great British Menu banquet celebrating children's literature.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Cuellar on July 13, 2020, 01:20:37 PM
Yeah, I think the hall at Christ Church was used as Hogwarts dining hall? It was heavily CGIed in the films I think, but people still queue round the fucking block to see it.

And you occasionally see folks walking about in gowns! Like in the Hogwarts! And everything is covered in ivy and everything is twee and everything can fucking burn down for all I care.

They filmed all that at Leavesden Studios on a set heavily based an the mentioned dining hall. At the HP Studio tour it's the first thing you walk through after a brief film about what the tour is all about, it's a huge and impressively detail set I can tell you ( I have been twice ).

idunnosomename

lavenham has the "harry potter birthplace" which means the de Vere hunting lodge of the late 15th century was used in an establishing shot for a flashback in deathly hallows or some shit. it was up for sale when i was there last year but its been taken off the market now. there's no monetisation of it in the town but the agent listings were full of it so who knows how they'll take it going forward

fuck harry potter into the cunting bin

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 13, 2020, 10:36:28 PM
lavenham has the "harry potter birthplace" which means the de Vere hunting lodge of the late 15th century was used in an establishing shot for a flashback in deathly hallows or some shit. it was up for sale when i was there last year but its been taken off the market now. there's no monetisation of it in the town but the agent listings were full of it so who knows how they'll take it going forward

fuck harry potter into the cunting bin

It's only a kids (edit) tale, I don't get the hate, is it because it is popular (as in some culture of this quality/level shouldn't be)? Or is it in your view pushed to make cash far more than is sane?

Buelligan

It's because it's awful unoriginal toss, written by a terrible cunt.

bgmnts

Not my words, the words of Shakin' Stevens.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Buelligan on July 13, 2020, 10:42:46 PM
It's because it's awful unoriginal toss, written by a terrible cunt.

The irony

Buelligan

I see I'm not speaking your language.  OK, it's widdly-pee verily penned by a dread CUNTipops.  Kazam.

That'll be £50K and I reserve all rights.

Sin Agog

The avalanche of merch certainly doesn't help, though.  My autistic sister's place is more Harry Potter merch than flat at this point.  Last time I saw her she was foaming with excitement at the arrival of her new Harry Potter salad spoon.  And by new I mean she already has one.

bgmnts

I met a mid 20s Brasilian guy in Morocco who told me about how Harry Potter changed his life and got him writing his own stuff.

I thought that was a bit weird really but it genuinely has influenced and entire generation of people.

Buelligan

Yeah, look how beautiful the world's getting, man.

Btw, did you ask him if he screamed like a girl the first time he had it done?

chveik

well it looks like the vast majority of hp fans aren't pleased with jkr's terfism so this is quite silly

idunnosomename

it's the degree to which heritage sites like oxford, durham and gloucester cathedrals open their arse to little wizards, which only helps a smirking transphobe who wrote a fucking biblical pastiche to keep corbyn out get richer and richer by selling acres of fucking tat

and it ripped off the worst witch to make it about a boy

still, the cursed child run got fucked huh

ProvanFan

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on July 13, 2020, 10:40:23 PM
It's only a kids tail

Like the one Timothy Blenkinsop grew after getting caught in the crossfire of a Puddlemere United vs Holyhead Harpies riot.

Mr_Simnock

Well these heritage sites need cash and the little wizards seem to be a key to it despite the creator of it all now appearing to be a massive nob

Mister Six

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 13, 2020, 01:56:53 PM
The support for Johnny Depp is what's currently blowing my mind. Particularly given that she talked about being a victim of domestic abuse in her recent 'why it's okay to be a transphobic bigot' essay.

I dunno on that score. It's a he-said-she-said situation and she's been recorded admitting to physically abusing him. At worst it looks like two toxic people being awful to each other. And there are (or were, last time I read about this) questions over whether she's telling the truth about him hitting her. It's not a simple case of an abusive man and a female victim.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on July 13, 2020, 11:05:05 PM
Well these heritage sites need cash and the little wizards seem to be a key to it despite the creator of it all now appearing to be a massive nob
gloucester and durham dont charge entry though I do think durham might be gearing up to doing so. christ church college are probably the worst though and they absolutely are not short of cash

FredNurke

Christ Church is the only college I've been to where they don't even want to let you out.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Mister Six on July 13, 2020, 11:07:31 PM
I dunno on that score. It's a he-said-she-said situation and she's been recorded admitting to physically abusing him. At worst it looks like two toxic people being awful to each other. And there are (or were, last time I read about this) questions over whether she's telling the truth about him hitting her. It's not a simple case of an abusive man and a female victim.

Yes that's fair enough, and I'm well acquainted with emotionally and physically abusive women, and understand society will usually take their side by default.

I'm just finding it hard to square with all the stuff she said in her long-winded, transphobic essay, eg:[NB]
Quote from: JK RowlingI managed to escape my first violent marriage with some difficulty, but I'm now married to a truly good and principled man, safe and secure in ways I never in a million years expected to be. However, the scars left by violence and sexual assault don't disappear, no matter how loved you are, and no matter how much money you've made. My perennial jumpiness is a family joke – and even I know it's funny – but I pray my daughters never have the same reasons I do for hating sudden loud noises, or finding people behind me when I haven't heard them approaching.

If you could come inside my head and understand what I feel when I read about a trans woman dying at the hands of a violent man, you'd find solidarity and kinship. I have a visceral sense of the terror in which those trans women will have spent their last seconds on earth, because I too have known moments of blind fear when I realised that the only thing keeping me alive was the shaky self-restraint of my attacker.

I believe the majority of trans-identified people not only pose zero threat to others, but are vulnerable for all the reasons I've outlined. Trans people need and deserve protection. Like women, they're most likely to be killed by sexual partners. Trans women who work in the sex industry, particularly trans women of colour, are at particular risk. Like every other domestic abuse and sexual assault survivor I know, I feel nothing but empathy and solidarity with trans women who've been abused by men.
Huge numbers of women are justifiably terrified by the trans activists; I know this because so many have got in touch with me to tell their stories. They're afraid of doxxing, of losing their jobs or their livelihoods, and of violence.

But endlessly unpleasant as its constant targeting of me has been, I refuse to bow down to a movement that I believe is doing demonstrable harm in seeking to erode 'woman' as a political and biological class and offering cover to predators like few before it. I stand alongside the brave women and men, gay, straight and trans, who're standing up for freedom of speech and thought, and for the rights and safety of some of the most vulnerable in our society: young gay kids, fragile teenagers, and women who're reliant on and wish to retain their single sex spaces. Polls show those women are in the vast majority, and exclude only those privileged or lucky enough never to have come up against male violence or sexual assault, and who've never troubled to educate themselves on how prevalent it is.
[/NB]

Incidentally, scrolling through that for "abuse" rather underlined how incredibly self-pitying the whole thing is, and I refer here not to the quoted portions of text, but rather to the amount of times she mentions people giving her shit on Twitter.

The bottom line here is I think it looks incredibly odd to say all that kind of stuff about theoretical "predators" hiding in plain sight as trans women, while also publicly standing by a high profile man who has been accused of domestic abuse in the height of the #metoo era. I would presume the decision to stand by Depp was financially driven.

It's an incredibly mixed message from someone trying to stake out the moral high ground, and position herself as a protector of vulnerable women.

Sin Agog

Has she ever publicly lambasted any Harry Potter-related figures?  Depp's her Fantastic Beast now.

sambwel

Rowling: "You can't criticise my transphobia because I've cynically linked it to my experience suffering dometic abuse. Also I stand by Johnny Depp"
Glinner: "Trans people who have the temerity to speak up in defense of their right to exist are just trying to groom children, no exceptions, and I reserve the right to call them groomers, even if they are children themselves. Also I publicly defend top bloke Woody Allen"

You couldn't make it up. I mean you could, but it'd be so straightforwardly stupid as to be not worth making up.

Mister Six

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 13, 2020, 11:52:39 PM
The bottom line here is I think it looks incredibly odd to say all that kind of stuff about theoretical "predators" hiding in plain sight as trans women, while also publicly standing by a high profile man who has been accused of domestic abuse in the height of the #metoo era. I would presume the decision to stand by Depp was financially driven.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I mean, it's also possible that she actually got to know Depp, what with her being so involved in the Beasts films and him being an Anglophile, and actually has knowledge on the situation that others don't. But she's also obviously a fucking snake and entirely happy to throw an entire oppressed minority under the bus to feel a bit safer on the loo, so your take is certainly possible too.

idunnosomename

I doubt she uses public toilets. Wherever she goes they probably plumb in a gold one for her like they do the queen

Cuellar

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on July 13, 2020, 11:05:05 PM

Exactly - no one had heard of Oxford before Harry Potter.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Cuellar on July 14, 2020, 09:36:50 AM
Exactly - no one had heard of Oxford before Harry Potter.

Good job no one has argued the opposit eh. Many heritage sites around the country struggle for cash, it doesn't matter about the location of the site, if it wasn't worth it they wouldn't chase that market.

Buelligan

If these places can't survive in the marketplace, they should be bulldozed to make way for shit that sells. 

Mr_Simnock

I've met a few people with that attitude. I remember one bloke who proposed getting rid of stone henge 'What does it do, it does nowt, get rid of it, it's just stones people want to look at' I had to laugh, he was so serious about it.

Cuellar

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on July 14, 2020, 10:07:21 AM
Good job no one has argued the opposit eh. Many heritage sites around the country struggle for cash, it doesn't matter about the location of the site, if it wasn't worth it they wouldn't chase that market.

Let the other heritage sites have it, then. We've got enough people cosplaying 1930s public schoolboys in Oxford as it is.