Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:55:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

JK Rowling TERFing her legacy into the bin

Started by Dog Botherer, June 07, 2020, 01:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoJojo

idunnosomename

Wow! What a big beautiful Ickabog! It makes me feel REALLY horny: I'd love to fuck it rotten! #TheIckabog

Chollis

Zack, I absolutely love your drawing! Very spooky, and the flames on the tail are a wonderful touch! But don't you ever, EVER start windmilling your big hairy penis around in little girl's toilets.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 13, 2020, 01:17:51 PM
Were some of the films shot in Oxford?

Edinburgh is known as "The Birthplace of Harry Potter" so we have tons of Harry Potter tat all over the place. Lucky us.

I wonder if The Elephant House cafe on George IV Bridge will still be proudly displaying its "The Birthplace of Harry Potter" sign. I think a few other places may have them, quite a few places claim to be the one where JKR first plugged in her laptop.

I think there are multiple cafes and bars in Edinburgh with "JK Rowling never wrote here" signs or graffiti, with Artisan Roast in Broughton Street the best-known. I'd imagine a whole lot more signs springing up.

idunnosomename

Graham, wow, what a big wobbly Ickabog! It's almost like you drew it while shaking like a jelly! But please, if I post one of these will you stop sending them to me? #TheIckabog

king_tubby

Quotebut I'm now married to a truly good and principled man

Eyebrows raised at this considering some of the Twitter scuttlebutt about her husband.

Puce Moment

Nationalise all this heritage and national trust cuntery. Kick out the families, open them up. Use them for anything other than what they are currently used for.

The Potter frothing shows how tenuous and pathetic this idea of British heritage is anyway. And the National Trust let 'trail' hunting on their land. Get tae fuck.

I stand by this post despite it coming from a place largely influenced by skipping lunch.

bgmnts

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 14, 2020, 03:31:18 PM
Nationalise all this heritage and national trust cuntery. Kick out the families, open them up. Use them for anything other than what they are currently used for.

Its amazing how many heritage sites, at least in Wales, are privately or independently owned. As a member of Cadw this pisses me off a bit.

earl_sleek

Quote from: king_tubby on July 14, 2020, 11:44:22 AM
Eyebrows raised at this considering some of the Twitter scuttlebutt about her husband.

Spill the tea!

RHX

Went out shopping with my wife the other day. Primark has a full display of Potter-related clothing. HMV are displaying the movie collections prominently, and Waterstones had a whole display table of her works laid out near the entryway.

Being cancelled seems really lucrative.

idunnosomename

Quote from: RHX on July 14, 2020, 08:52:57 PM
Went out shopping with my wife the other day. Primark has a full display of Potter-related clothing. HMV are displaying the movie collections prominently, and Waterstones had a whole display table of her works laid out near the entryway.

Being cancelled seems really lucrative.
i imagine chinese tourists at oxford street stores arent too concerned by this TERF business

Zetetic

idunnosomename

we legalised gay marriage and I was happy! why do they have to keep MESSING ABOUT WITH THINGS?!??!

Jollity

Course he brings Jesus into it. Absolute gibberish there, Tim lad.

king_tubby

The homophobes coming out to bat for the transphobes, is it?

idunnosomename

I hope Jesus returns and the first thing He does is give Tim Farron a good bumming

king_tubby

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 18, 2020, 08:34:02 PM
That's already happening with groups like the LGB Alliance https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/06/19/lgb-alliance-same-sex-marriage-twitter-transgender-homophobia-owen-jones-baclash/

Oh indeed, I've seen stuff suggesting they're an astroturf (can I noun that?) for homophobic anti-abortion far right evangelicals.

evilcommiedictator

For those wanting a laugh, that Harper's piece, well, turns out some people were cancelled during production - they offered to sign but had votes on who should and shouldn't be included. CANCEL CULTURE AMIRITE.
Glenn Greenwald was going to be there but WAS CANCELLED
https://twitter.com/zei_squirrel/status/1284328426204274694

JaDanketies

my stepdad was saying that he didn't see what JK Rowling said that was so bad, and that she should have a right to be heard. Fortunately nobody else (including actual female feminists) agreed that Rowling's opinions weren't bad and that she is being heard far louder than she should be heard. This is the first time when Twitter terf noise has touched real life for me.

Jumblegraws

Seems that JK has taken it upon herself to ensure an online kids' newspaper do free and open debate properly: https://theday.co.uk/pdf/jkrowling-apology-2020-07.pdf
Quote from: The DayOn 10 June 2020, we published an article entitled "Potterheads cancel Rowling after trans tweet". We accept that our article implied that what JK Rowling had tweeted was objectionable and that she had attacked and harmed trans people. The article was critical of JK Rowling personally and suggested that our readers should boycott her work and shame her into changing her behaviour. Our intention was to provoke debate on a complex topic. We did not intend to suggest that JK Rowling was transphobic or that she should be boycotted. We accept that our comparisons of JK Rowling to people such as Picasso, who celebrated sexual violence, and Wagner, who was praised by the Nazis for his anti- Semitic and racist views, were clumsy, offensive and wrong. Debate about a complex issue where there is a range of legitimate views should have been handled with much more sensitivity and more obvious recognition of the difference between fact and opinion. We unreservedly apologise to JK Rowling for the offence caused, are happy to retract these false allegations and to set the record straight. We shall be making a financial contribution to a charity of JK Rowling's choice.

Ferris

"Free speech and an unfettered press is all well and good, but I'm incredibly wealthy!"

Dog Botherer

that's very clearly a billionaire flexing a massive lawsuit on a small newspaper right

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Dog Botherer on July 23, 2020, 01:26:25 PM
that's very clearly a billionaire flexing a massive lawsuit on a small newspaper right
Almost certainly. She has form, that's for sure. It's a shame the paper don't think it's worth the time and resources to fight it (or simply don't have them), there's a very good chance they'd mount a successful "honest opinion" defence.