Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,339
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:02:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

JK Rowling TERFing her legacy into the bin

Started by Dog Botherer, June 07, 2020, 01:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 04, 2020, 01:43:33 AM
the funny thing (or not) is when you see anyone see anyone on twitter say something even dogwhistley terfy, you look at their TL and they are basically full time SEX IS REAL CERVIX TOILETS BASED RIGHTS, 24/7

so at least normal people dont seem to subscribe to it, that's all I mean

Problem is, is that they are loud, in positions of power and influence and are very well funded, so the minority they may be they are still dangerous.

Take the Scottish GRA consultation for example they've already ran it once people responded positively towards helping trans people but then they kicked up such a stink they ran the consultation a second time which has now been shelved, partly due to covid and partly due to appeasing the transphobes in the SNP

sambwel

Dangerous, yes, but I think a caution against despair is warranted. A gaggle of these loud hateful fucks on twitter really is not representative of the real world (nothing on twitter is).

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: sambwel on August 04, 2020, 02:37:47 AM
Dangerous, yes, but I think a caution against despair is warranted. A gaggle of these loud hateful fucks on twitter really is not representative of the real world (nothing on twitter is).

Well, sure. But their intent is to terrorise and I think they're succeeding at this since myself and others generally feel very much less safe in public than before

Buelligan

Quote from: Dog Botherer on August 03, 2020, 08:44:46 PM
yeah can't be mad at people for follow policing her when she self follow polices herself religiously.

She wants sharia law now?  Fuck that.

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: sambwel on August 04, 2020, 02:37:47 AM

Caution against despair is ok but dismissing it as just a few cranks on twitter ignores the real world repercussions of their hatred, repercussions that are being felt by trans people every day.

JaDanketies

The worrying thing for me is that, by repeatedly harping on about it, they're making it A Thing that all politically-minded people must have An Opinion about. It might well be that most politically-minded people don't give much of a shit about it, but err on the side of the terfs' 'reasonable concerns', which would make things awful for a minority.

If the terfs had their way, people with gender dysphoria would be far more likely to commit suicide. It's not unreasonable to think that one day, the terfs could have their way. My stepdad was saying some pro-Rowling things last time I saw him. There are very few newspapers, TV news shows, etc that would not come across as either pro-Rowling or, best case scenario, 'both sidesing' it.

It could easily end up with a situation where trans women suddenly find themselves forced in the gents and widely considered to me men play-acting, and where kids with GD have their healthcare options severely limited beyond what the experts would consider reasonable.

In fact, it feels a little Corbynesque to me. The 'good' side seems obvious, but powerful forces seem determined to let evil win. If there was a referendum on what toilets trans women can use, who would be confident that the affirmation side would have a resounding victory? Democracy becoming tyranny of the majority, despite pretty much every expert siding with the minority.

Armin Meiwes

I see the lovely Suzanne Moore has written another desperate attempt to rebadge Terfdom as genuine concerns for the guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/03/define-what-a-woman-is-organise-politically-suzanne-moore

Quote"The confusion continued on Twitter with a row over a tweet from Piers Morgan, in response to a CNN tweet reading: "Individuals with a cervix are now recommended to start cervical cancers screening at 25." Morgan replied: "Do you mean women?", and when Rosie Duffield, MP for Canterbury, liked Morgan's tweet, she was accused of being a transphobe. Duffield then tweeted: "I'm a 'transphobe' for knowing that only women have a cervix...?!" Progressives who presumably want to win back those "red wall" seats called for her sacking."

Love this line of argument in particular, if you can't "win" the argument on its own merits then just use - what you view as - a load of reactionary wankers as a sort of bulwark line of defense. Of course I'm sure most of those people that you prob know v little about or have any dealings with won't give a flying fuck about any of this until you've sufficiently managed to envelop it in to the wider culture war for them to start.

JaDanketies

When I want to know the opinions of working class former Labour voters in formerly-industrial Northern towns, I simply ask Suzanne Moore.

I'm pretty sure that the people in Accrington call centres do not give much of a fuck about what toilet trans people use. Maybe their grans do.

Anyway next time there's an election, Suzanne Moore will be 67 - aka older than my dad was when he snuffed it.

idunnosomename

Imagine paying suzanne moore money to write columns which are the journalstic equivalent of banging on a saucepan while shitting your pants

king_tubby

Suzanne Moore knows all about winning elections.

QuoteMoore stood as an independent candidate for the constituency of Hackney North and Stoke Newington in the 2010 UK general election due to her disillusionment with the main political parties.[1] She finished sixth with 0.6% of the vote, losing to Diane Abbott and forfeiting her deposit.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Christ this is fucking interminable. As I said before, wether I'm going to get harassed outside or not I'm basically terrified everywhere because of the attention this gets and I just want to be invisible. Taking me so long to fundraise the necessary procedures ffs

---

Also ffs Suzanne Moore quoting Dworkin. You mean this Dworkin?

QuoteThe discovery is, of course, that "man" and "woman" are fictions, caricatures, cultural constructs. As models they are reductive, totalitarian, inappropriate to human becoming. As roles they are static, demeaning to the female, dead-ended for male and female both. The discovery is inescapable: We are, clearly, a multisexed species which has its sexuality spread along a vast continuum where the elements called male and female are not discrete.

Mister Six

Rowling got much the same response when she tried to reference Dworkin to back up her own views. Idiots, her and Moore alike. Just such a shame that they have such massive platforms.

idunnosomename

I hate harry potter but i concede people like it and she put a fair bit of work into it. More than can be said for anything suzanne moore has done

JaDanketies

Owen Jones recognises that he speaks from a position of privilege and Suzanne Moore does not. Suzanne Moore hates Owen Jones and her fans call him a misogynist.

I don't see why intersectionality is such anathema to these people. I mean, is it not obvious that it's a real thing that's worth considering?

idunnosomename

oh look what cunt weighed in on this

https://twitter.com/JustinWelby/status/1290701860588969991

the cofe of course, refused to endorse corbyn against the steamroller of austerity from the tories. fucking cunt

AND she's directly thanking debbie "i hate myself and everybody else" hayton

GoblinAhFuckScary

Cruel And Wrong to see the Archbishop of Canterbury use the word 'troll'

Zetetic

I would not retweet the Archbishop of Canterbury's praise for me.

king_tubby

You know who else the archbish was defending the other week? 

Yeah.

Prince Andrew.

sambwel

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 04, 2020, 12:00:14 PM
Well, sure. But their intent is to terrorise and I think they're succeeding at this since myself and others generally feel very much less safe in public than before

Sorry. I chose my words poorly. Didn't mean to dismiss or minimise what you're going through.

king_tubby

JK's fans update the 'black disabled lesbian' trope so beloved of Richard Littlejohn, Rod Liddle etc.

idunnosomename

kate tempest has changed their name to "kae" and declared "they/them" pronouns so true women have terfed all their whatever it was they produced in the bin

shh

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 04, 2020, 08:50:53 PM
AND she's directly thanking debbie "i hate myself and everybody else" hayton

Would this be the 'self-hating trans' hypothesis?

BritishHobo

Quote from: king_tubby on August 07, 2020, 08:23:43 PM
JK's fans update the 'black disabled lesbian' trope so beloved of Richard Littlejohn, Rod Liddle etc.

I HATE THIS FUCKING SHIT. Witless interminable bollocks. Every time I read this utterly tired type of gag I imagine some poor fucker who has had the temerity to be both black and disabled, whose basic identity is used as a comically ridiculous notion.

HA HA IMAGINE BEING TWO THINGS!

Jockice

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 08, 2020, 03:46:20 PM
I HATE THIS FUCKING SHIT. Witless interminable bollocks. Every time I read this utterly tired type of gag I imagine some poor fucker who has had the temerity to be both black and disabled, whose basic identity is used as a comically ridiculous notion.

HA HA IMAGINE BEING TWO THINGS!

Imagine...

dissolute ocelot

Good article by Rebecca Solnit. But can any amount of sensible, fact-based articles change the minds of people who seem determined to pretend trans people are the #1 threat facing women today?

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 10, 2020, 02:50:37 PM
Good article by Rebecca Solnit. But can any amount of sensible, fact-based articles change the minds of people who seem determined to pretend trans people are the #1 threat facing women today?

Find Guardian US's very pointed opposition to Guardian UK on this very amusing.

idunnosomename

i genuinely hope jk rowling pisses her life away and ends up recording herself in a shitty furnished apartment talking to other terfs on skype in front of a mad bookcase

touchingcloth

The Ripple of Hope, the Twirl of Freedom, the Flake of Liberty.

thr0b

Still trying to work out why she writes her "adult" books under the pen-name of Robert Galbraith, when the adverts promote them as "JK Rowling writing as Robert Galbraith".

Can't see the point.