Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:57:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

JK Rowling TERFing her legacy into the bin

Started by Dog Botherer, June 07, 2020, 01:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Just realised the heart is a reference to liking that tweet of hers on twitter hahaha

jobotic

Do you think there are many Harry Potter dweebs who had never thought about trans issues before but have now gone full on transphobe because their God has? Depressing.

Chollis

It might just be the Twitter algorithm but from what I could see on there, most of the Harry Potter fans were saying how disappointed and betrayed they feel by her, and it's the boomer/centrist/#FBPE type accounts that are supportive.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: jobotic on September 16, 2020, 11:48:13 AM
Do you think there are many Harry Potter dweebs who had never thought about trans issues before but have now gone full on transphobe because their God has? Depressing.

If anything, I sort of think the opposite is true. Most Harry Potter nerds would have grown up with the franchise and probably would have taken the messages to heart and now see that their hero is acting in a way that's more befitting with one of the Malfoys or Umbridge.

A lot of fan sites (My Life as a Background Slytherin, Mugglenet etc.) put out statements that they are very much against JK's opinions.

buttgammon

The fact that the main actors from the films (including the guy who played Ralph) have come out against her can't have endeared her to fans. She's too rich and famous to ever slip into the same sort of obscurity as Glinner, unfortunately, but I already get the impression that she's largely a cultural irrelevance these days.

Blue Jam

#RIPJKRowling was trending the other day, and I think the implication was that Potter fans are a bit devastated that a part of their childhood has died. Of course the TERFs were trying to claim it was the work of "TRAs" literally wanting JK dead.

So yes, I agree that JK's terving is more likely to have sent her fans to the pro-trans rights side.

buttgammon

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 16, 2020, 12:18:31 PM
#RIPJKRowling was trending the other day, and I think the implication was that Potter fans are a bit devastated that a part of their childhood has died. Of course the TERFs were trying to claim it was the work of "TRAs" literally wanting JK dead.

Suzanne Moore made it to my timeline yesterday because a few people had retweeted a disingenuous tweet she made on those lines. The most worrying thing was that I hadn't already hidden her.

dead-ced-dead

It's not dissimilar to how fans who grew up with the Ender's series now despise Orson Scott Card (rightfully). If you write fiction for children and later reveal that you're a bigot, it's far more likely that you're going to destroy the legacy you cultivated.

ajsmith2

I did a popular thing in the 90s and that means I know everything there is to know now and forevermore. Kneel at my altar and imbibe my wisdom.

jobotic

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on September 16, 2020, 12:13:50 PM
If anything, I sort of think the opposite is true. Most Harry Potter nerds would have grown up with the franchise and probably would have taken the messages to heart and now see that their hero is acting in a way that's more befitting with one of the Malfoys or Umbridge.

A lot of fan sites (My Life as a Background Slytherin, Mugglenet etc.) put out statements that they are very much against JK's opinions.

that's good.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 16, 2020, 12:30:55 PM
I did a popular thing in the 90s and that means I know everything there is to know now and forevermore. Kneel at my altar and imbibe my wisdom.

Unfortunately they're enabled by the fan culture where people want to follow someone and cling to their every word just because they like the creative work they've done. There are a couple of artists I regret following on Twitter because I don't like what they post sometimes But I can just unfollow them and not have my view of their work tainted, or accept that, like my own close friends or family members, I'm not going to like everything they say/do.

Blue Jam

Quote from: buttgammon on September 16, 2020, 12:20:19 PM
Suzanne Moore made it to my timeline yesterday because a few people had retweeted a disingenuous tweet she made on those lines. The most worrying thing was that I hadn't already hidden her.

Suzanne Moore really reminds me of Marsha from Spaced. I can't see her byline picture without thinking "'ello kitten!"

Blue Jam

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on September 16, 2020, 12:21:50 PM
It's not dissimilar to how fans who grew up with the Ender's series now despise Orson Scott Card (rightfully). If you write fiction for children and later reveal that you're a bigot, it's far more likely that you're going to destroy the legacy you cultivated.

I don't think people have forgotten that Roald Dahl was an antisemite either. The only difference with him is that he managed to avoid tainting his legacy too badly by keeping it under wraps until just before he died. It might have been different if Twitter had been around in his lifetime.

ajsmith2

There are so many great creatives of the past who would have shat out similar turd trails of banal legacy corroding rubbish if they'd had the means,

One I always think about is Douglas Adams. I love his work but can you imagine how insufferable he (almost certainly) would've been on Twitter? It's exactly the sort of tech based time drain he would have taken to over focused activity, and of course he was best pals with Fry and Dawkins so on the associated retweets and controversies  would flow. He'd almost certainly be cancelled at least 10 times over by now for various guff he'd thoughtlessly endorsed or shot his virtual mouth off about.

buttgammon

Several times, I've had conversations with fellow Joyceans where they've asked what he'd have been like on Twitter. I always say that without doubt, he'd have ruined his career and would've spent his whole life using it to obsessively argue with people. It's a black hole for a lot of creative people.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: buttgammon on September 16, 2020, 12:20:19 PM

Fucking hell she is a useless sack of shit.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 16, 2020, 01:01:39 PM
Suzanne Moore really reminds me of Marsha from Spaced. I can't see her byline picture without thinking "'ello kitten!"
i couldnt remember who you meant so i googled her and i COL'd (cackled out loud, readers!)

Blue Jam

Quote from: buttgammon on September 16, 2020, 01:14:29 PM
Several times, I've had conversations with fellow Joyceans where they've asked what he'd have been like on Twitter. I always say that without doubt, he'd have ruined his career and would've spent his whole life using it to obsessively argue with people.

If Joyce, Keats and Lawrence were sitting in a room together and Dostoevsky walked in there'd be a hell of a fight for the last piece of pudding.

imitationleather

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 16, 2020, 01:01:39 PM

This is so accurate.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 16, 2020, 12:18:31 PM

So yes, I agree that JK's terving is more likely to have sent her fans to the pro-trans rights side.
The conventional wisdom amongst huge swathes of Twitter that the hashtag was some genuine, sorcerous attempt to summon her assassination is one of those things that shocked me despite being completely predictable. Dan Hodges was similarly preoccupied with Jedward's tweet about using the new book to fuel one's winter fireplace. I think that references to book burning are best avoided, but Hodges seems to believe that Jedward's flippancy was absolutely a gateway to the organised, mass burnings of the DSt.

Blue Jam

Nick Cohen has defended JKR in The Spectator, arguing that if any of her critics had actually read her book they'd see it isn't transphobic at all and is in fact strongly feminist. That's exactly how most TERFs would describe themselves though. Also, The Spectator again. If they're your allies I think you need to take a long hard look about how feminist your crusade actually is.

I also note that, as with Glinner's blog, you have to be a paid-up subscriber to comment on Spectator articles. Funny how these FREEZE PEACH warriors rant about the left  building echo chambers but that doesn't apply when they're building their own.

Jumblegraws

Absolutely nothing in the Cohen article actually gets Rowling off the hook, despite the smoking gun tone of it, besides which no sensible person should trust that arsehole to recognise transphobia, let alone call it out.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jumblegraws on September 16, 2020, 02:22:46 PM
The conventional wisdom amongst huge swathes of Twitter that the hashtag was some genuine, sorcerous attempt to summon her assassination is one of those things that shocked me despite being completely predictable. Dan Hodges was similarly preoccupied with Jedward's tweet about using the new book to fuel one's winter fireplace. I think that references to book burning are best avoided, but Hodges seems to believe that Jedward's flippancy was absolutely a gateway to the organised, mass burnings of the DSt.

Jedward? Fucking hell. Imagine getting worked up about one of The X Factor's joke contestants. I love them even more now...

A few times I have made some flippant remark in reply to a friend's tweet and had complete strangers chime in with "SO YOU WORSHIP CORBYN AND WANT FULL COMMUNISM?", "SO YOU BELIEVE MEN SHOULD BE ABLE TO GO INTO WOMEN'S CHANGING ROOMS AND WAVE THEIR GENITALS IN CHILDREN'S FACES?" and other utterly deranged strawman arguments. I just think "Er, who are you? Why are you so angry? How did you find this tweet? Have you considered that I don't really care and don't want an argument? Please leave me alone" and Block And Move On. I don't care if these people think that's cowardly, life's too short. I'm not one of these people who get off on conflict and people using Twitter as an Argument Clinic just make me anxious.

The main reason I have kept my Twitter account is because it's very handy for sorting customer service issues with train companies, retailers etc. If I want to blow off steam and pit myself against randoms I'll go and play a bit of Rocket League or Snooker 19 online. Whatever people say about video games, I'd argue that gaming is much healthier than arguing on social media.

buttgammon

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 16, 2020, 02:03:45 PM
If Joyce, Keats and Lawrence were sitting in a room together and Dostoevsky walked in there'd be a hell of a fight for the last piece of pudding.

Despite being in the fourth year of a literature PhD, I'm with Ted on that joke (if it is even a joke, I can't tell).

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 16, 2020, 02:03:45 PM

Good luck with the book!

Old Nehamkin

[started writing something; accidentally hit post; nvm]

phantom_power

Quote from: Jumblegraws on September 16, 2020, 02:22:46 PM

Yes, the zenzible opinion seems to be "If your ideology means you wish death on people and burn books then maybe you have the wrong ideology". This is wrong because of what you just said obviously but also rules out most movements that fight bigotry and oppression. How far would civil and gay rights have gone with these wet farts at the helm?

Mister Six

Not far at all, but this lot wouldn't have been pushing for gay rights or desegregation or an end to slavery. They'd have been content to tut performatively but say, "Well, what can be done?" or "Change will come eventually, if you just suffer in dignity."

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 16, 2020, 01:09:57 PM
There are so many great creatives of the past who would have shat out similar turd trails of banal legacy corroding rubbish if they'd had the means,

One I always think about is Douglas Adams. I love his work but can you imagine how insufferable he (almost certainly) would've been on Twitter? It's exactly the sort of tech based time drain he would have taken to over focused activity, and of course he was best pals with Fry and Dawkins so on the associated retweets and controversies  would flow. He'd almost certainly be cancelled at least 10 times over by now for various guff he'd thoughtlessly endorsed or shot his virtual mouth off about.

That's a bit unfair. You don't know that for sure.  Douglas Adams, and maybe even John Lennon might have pleasantly surprised everybody on Twitter.