Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:02:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the most embarrassing surname?

Started by Norton Canes, June 07, 2020, 07:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Glasscock has to be up there, so to speak.

NoSleep

The surname Cox has generally been altered through the generations from its original spelling, Cock. e.g...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camperdown_Works#Origins

QuoteIn 1827 James Cock (subsequently known as Cox), the son of James Cock of Foggyley and Helen Scott, assumed control of the family business and in 1841 formed a co-partnering with his brothers, William Cox, Thomas Hunter Cox and George Addison Cox.

Professor Brian Cock

Quote from: jobotic on June 07, 2020, 11:22:10 PM
Smellie.

Geddit? Sounds like smelly

I worked with a bloke called Ian Smellie, but in another part of the building so I didn't know him that well.  He seemed like a nice bloke but he always seemed slightly on edge and nervous, probably due to years of childhood mockery - kids can be cruel. I used to snigger inwardly whenever an e-mail from 'Smellie, Ian' came through though.

SpiderChrist

An acquaintance of mine has a friend called Gladys Kunt.

thenoise

I went to school with a Cock.  As if that wasn't enough, when puberty hit he grew himself quite a respectable pair of tits.  He let us feel them occasionally 'cop a feel of Cock's tits' etc.

NoSleep

I knew of somebody whose name was Desiree Veryard.

timebug

When I worked in a tailoring place as a yoof, we used to measure the customer,then write down their details, name address etc.
This guy one busy saturday gave his name, and sure that I had misheard, I wrote Peter Bullock. He pointed to the order form and said loudly, 'No that's an 'O' the name is BOLLOCK not BULLOCK!'
I was only a teenager and didn't know where to look! Seriously, if that was his real name, I can't imagine the shit he had to live through during his school days!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: timebug on June 08, 2020, 09:01:24 AM
When I worked in a tailoring place as a yoof, we used to measure the customer,then write down their details, name address etc.
This guy one busy saturday gave his name, and sure that I had misheard, I wrote Peter Bullock. He pointed to the order form and said loudly, 'No that's an 'O' the name is BOLLOCK not BULLOCK!'
I was only a teenager and didn't know where to look! Seriously, if that was his real name, I can't imagine the shit he had to live through during his school days!

Yes, I'd imagine those times were quite hairy for him.

Shufflebottom is a fine old Lancashire name and in no way brings to mind a dog dragging its arse across the floor.

Bernice

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: timebug on June 08, 2020, 09:01:24 AM

Back when Graham Norton used pick amusing names from the US phonebook and call the owners, there was an episode where he spoke to someone called Hank Bollock, who insisted it was pronounced Boh-lock.

Blinder Data

Dick is a not uncommon surname in Scotland.

My aunt swears she knew a woman called Iona Dick.

Dick.

buttgammon

Quote from: Blinder Data on June 08, 2020, 11:00:06 AM
Dick is a not uncommon surname in Scotland.

My aunt swears she knew a woman called Iona Dick.

Dick.

Don't let Linehan know, he'd go ballistic!

Jockice

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 07, 2020, 07:22:20 PM
It has to be 'Stainrod', doesn't it?

There was a Stainrod in my year at school. But not in my class. However there was a Titman, a Hyman and a Maycock in my first year class. I mentioned this on another forum a few years ago - but still about a quarter of a century after I'd left the place - and someone quite seriously accused me of having been the school bully. However he died not long ago so he can fuck off.

Jockice

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on June 07, 2020, 07:27:38 PM
Well, as PC as we all try to be these days, I don't imagine being a member of the Gaylord family is particularly easy growing up.

I had a teacher called John Condon. That went well in an all-boys school in the early 2000s.

As did Mr. Bates. Who was a house master for the boarders.

We had a Mr Rimmer.

NoSleep

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on June 08, 2020, 11:37:07 AM
There was a Stainrod in my year at school. But not in my class. However there was a Titman, a Hyman and a Maycock in my first year class. I mentioned this on another forum a few years ago - but still about a quarter of a century after I'd left the place - and someone quite seriously accused me of having been the school bully. However he died not long ago so he can fuck off.

Incidentally only one of them got bullied and that was more because of his looks (tubby, bespectacled, red-haired) than his surname. One was a bit of a bully himself (although not to me. I'd known him for a year at junior school) and the other was the school brainbox.

Buelligan

Has to be Trump.  Every level and internationally. 

Blue Jam

Quote from: flotemysost on June 07, 2020, 10:05:04 PM
Also, pronouncing the name 'Cockburn' as 'Coh-burn' has to be one of the more implausible flights of fancy within English language pronunciation/spelling mismatches.

Scottish, isn't it? I will never stop being amused every time I see the street sign when I walk along Cockburn Street and Cafe Cockburn in Edinburgh.

Pingers

Grocock is an old Sheffield surname.

Christmas is another surname I would not like to have - you'd hear the same shit jokes, day in day out.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Pingers on June 08, 2020, 01:33:54 PM

Christmas is another surname I would not like to have - you'd hear the same shit jokes, day in day out.

Yeah especially if you end up going out with James Bond, the spy. He is just terrible for that kind of thing.

Johnny Yesno

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

McAnally. Cos, you know, up the arse.

pancreas

There is an Austrian composer of guitar music called Karl Scheit.

Pingers

Cave-Browne-Cave, a set of aristocunts, have an embarrassing surname because it seems like they are wearing their inbreeding on their velveteen sleeves.

Jockice

Quote from: Pingers on June 08, 2020, 01:33:54 PM

I used to work with Andy Partridge.  Not that Andy Partridge though. Another Andy Partridge, One day, not long before Christmas I had a brainwave and said: "Andy Partridge in a pear tree" thinking nobody would have thought of it before. Because I'd never thought of it before. I expected him to laugh but instead he gave me a look of sheer contempt and sighed: "Every fucking year..."

And my best mate at school's next door neighbours were Grewcocks or perhaps Grucocks. I never asked. Very occasionally bump into their daughter Amy, so next time I'll ask. Sure she'll see the funny side as well.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

You should have said "Ah-ha!" at him.