Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:19:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

UK BLM Protests - Edward Colston sleeps with the fishes [split topic]

Started by Chollis, June 07, 2020, 03:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on June 07, 2020, 02:26:39 PM
Despite being lefty union-having working-class exemplars for 100 years, UK Firefighters seem to be increasingly radicalised by the right too. Anecdotally from my perception, there's been a huge upswing in self-regarding "thin red line" bullshit in the last eighteen months or so - not so much on Retained crews where FFs are much less insular due to having day jobs and homes right among the communities they serve, but I've encountered some proper twats in urban wholetime watches who mostly commute a daily round trip of 35-60 miles into their shifts at stations in more diverse areas whose entire outlook couldn't be more 19th Century imperial.

Thankfully, anyone showing up at our station with one of these:

would have the piss ripped mightily for quite a long time.

Same in some sections of Ambo service (generally younger, less experienced members). Those little flags can fucking do one.

jobotic

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 07, 2020, 02:27:39 PM
Just to affirm the article thats from on the last page, its from 2014 and referring to Eric Garner's protestations while a cop chokeheld him

So it is yes. I was half asleep when I read it. Was linked to in a tweet below the Buffalo cops one.

Sorry!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Chollis on June 07, 2020, 03:18:25 PM
Edward Colston statue in Bristol just got fucked in the face

https://mobile.twitter.com/_jackgrey/status/1269625428400132096

It's no toppling of Saddam is it...look at their glee as they jump on the fallen bit of metal and stone. Virus spreading pricks need now to head to Westminster where this frothing would do some good.

bgmnts

These really should be put in museums. I know humans just repeat history anyway but still.

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 07, 2020, 03:34:47 PM
It's no toppling of Saddam is it...look at their glee as they jump on the fallen bit of metal and stone. Virus spreading pricks need now to head to Westminster where this frothing would do some good.

this is a pretty bad take. I thought you'd get behind this sort of thing.

Paul Calf

No. There were more people at this one. Firdos Square was almost empty when they pulled the Hussein statue down.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Chollis on June 07, 2020, 03:18:25 PM
Edward Colston statue in Bristol just got fucked in the face

https://mobile.twitter.com/_jackgrey/status/1269625428400132096

Great stuff, that really cheered me up and put a smile on my face. It's wonderful to see people actually coming together in this global movement for equality, and I just hope it continues and people feel more empowered to take direct action in future.

I hope they don't die of the 'rona, though.

Barry Admin

Quote from: bgmnts on June 07, 2020, 03:39:31 PM
These really should be put in museums. I know humans just repeat history anyway but still.

It can be put in a museum now; it's all ready to be carted off.

Bronzy

Puce Moment

Interesting to see people celebrating it as a metaphorical gesture. Surely it's more like 'essential 21st spring cleaning' like when you found that Harry Hill DVD and gave it to the local Age Concern.

pigamus

Brundle-Fly

The residents of Penny Lane must be getting a bit nervous.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on June 07, 2020, 03:47:46 PM
this is a pretty bad take. I thought you'd get behind this sort of thing.

it's not a bad take. I'm all for statues to be removed and destroyed, but this collective mentalism is not how I roll.

Barry Admin

It's no toppling of Saddam is it...look at their glee as they jump on the fallen bit of metal and stone.

...symbol of oppression and celebration of slavery.

Also:

QuoteVirus spreading pricks need now to head to Westminster where this frothing would do some good.

Quote from: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/black-lives-matter-protests-uk-bristol-statue-edward-colston-slavery-a9553266.htmlThe controversial bronze memorial had stood in the centre of Bristol since 1895. In recent days, more than 10,000 people have signed a petition calling on Bristol City Council to have it removed.
Mr McAllister said: "It says 'erected by the citizens of Bristol, as a memorial to one of the most virtuous and wise sons of this city'."

"The man was a slave trader. He was generous to Bristol but it was off the back of slavery and it's absolutely despicable. It's an insult to the people of Bristol," he added
The slave trader still has a large presence in the city of his birth, where many schools, buildings and charities are named after him.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 07, 2020, 04:00:32 PM
...symbol of oppression and celebration of slavery.

Also:

I understand the symbolism. Why was it not torn down earlier? (rhetorical). I think if this collective could direct their prancing, stomping mirth towards Westminster, all statues would fall.

BlodwynPig

Captain Crunch

Also those not living in Bristol might not know or care about the amount of time, money and hot air that has been wasted on the limp "should we shouldn't we" wrangling around changing names of things like The Colston Hall. 

bgmnts

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 07, 2020, 03:59:42 PM
it's not a bad take. I'm all for statues to be removed and destroyed, but I'm better than everyone else.

Puce Moment

Quote from: pigamus on June 07, 2020, 03:59:15 PMWhat? Has Harry been cancelled now?

Not yet. He has only really gone for class, rather than gender or race. Give it another 50-years.

Johnny Yesno

Bit of a beige opinion there, mate.

Shit Good Nose

Colston's a very tricky and divisive figure - the flipside of his slave trading is the philanthropy for charities, schools and the poor in Bristol, including for those slaves who were never sold and therefore stayed in Bristol, and those who were sent back when they reached the "end of their useful working life".  All of which in today's money I think someone worked out as equating to billions of pounds, as well as being the root of Bristol's now wide cultural makeup.  IIRC, he also built a church that everyone - regardless of class, skin colour and background - could worship in.  Which is why the argument about his statue and buildings and streets which carry his name has been going on for decades without anything being done.  And, it has to be said, there are both black and white people on both sides of the argument. 

Which isn't me defending it, I'm just giving the reasons.

As it is, I think things WILL change now - I don't see how they can retain the Colston name on anything now and hope that those against it will shrug their shoulders and accept it.

Quote from: Captain Crunch on June 07, 2020, 04:03:38 PM
Also those not living in Bristol might not know or care about the amount of time, money and hot air that has been wasted on the limp "should we shouldn't we" wrangling around changing names of things like The Colston Hall.

Cf. Massive Attack, who were among the first to demand the name be changed and said that they'd never even consider playing there until the name was changed.  Funny how it didn't bother them when they were up-and-coming and supporting other bands that played there...

Quote from: Chollis on June 07, 2020, 04:13:37 PM
No musuem for are brave eddy. he's in the drink!

https://twitter.com/boringdystopian/status/1269643323532292096

This kind of thing is definitely going to make the gammons start freaking out. (Up to you whether that is a good or bad thing.)