Author Topic: UK BLM Protests - Edward Colston sleeps with the fishes [split topic]  (Read 33624 times)

Chollis

• Master of Codes
Edward Colston statue in Bristol just got fucked in the face

https://mobile.twitter.com/_jackgrey/status/1269625428400132096

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

• Nothing is ever as good or bad as you think.
    • http://www.last.fm/user/georgethebadger/
Despite being lefty union-having working-class exemplars for 100 years, UK Firefighters seem to be increasingly radicalised by the right too. Anecdotally from my perception, there's been a huge upswing in self-regarding "thin red line" bullshit in the last eighteen months or so - not so much on Retained crews where FFs are much less insular due to having day jobs and homes right among the communities they serve, but I've encountered some proper twats in urban wholetime watches who mostly commute a daily round trip of 35-60 miles into their shifts at stations in more diverse areas whose entire outlook couldn't be more 19th Century imperial.

Thankfully, anyone showing up at our station with one of these:

would have the piss ripped mightily for quite a long time.

Same in some sections of Ambo service (generally younger, less experienced members). Those little flags can fucking do one.

Just to affirm the article thats from on the last page, its from 2014 and referring to Eric Garner's protestations while a cop chokeheld him

So it is yes. I was half asleep when I read it. Was linked to in a tweet below the Buffalo cops one.

Sorry!

BlodwynPig

• The Last Living Member of COVID-20

It's no toppling of Saddam is it...look at their glee as they jump on the fallen bit of metal and stone. Virus spreading pricks need now to head to Westminster where this frothing would do some good.

These really should be put in museums. I know humans just repeat history anyway but still.

chveik

• LISTEB LADS
It's no toppling of Saddam is it...look at their glee as they jump on the fallen bit of metal and stone. Virus spreading pricks need now to head to Westminster where this frothing would do some good.

this is a pretty bad take. I thought you'd get behind this sort of thing.

Paul Calf

• LOTION MAN
  • Golden Member
  • พระบาทสมเด็จพระวชิรเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัวเป็นคนงี่เง่าของฆาตกร

No. There were more people at this one. Firdos Square was almost empty when they pulled the Hussein statue down.

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea

Great stuff, that really cheered me up and put a smile on my face. It's wonderful to see people actually coming together in this global movement for equality, and I just hope it continues and people feel more empowered to take direct action in future.

I hope they don't die of the 'rona, though.

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
These really should be put in museums. I know humans just repeat history anyway but still.

It can be put in a museum now; it's all ready to be carted off.

Re: UK BLM Protests - Edward Colston sleeps with the fishes [split topic]
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 03:51:23 PM »
I bet Edward Colston is gutted about this.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 03:57:05 PM »
Interesting to see people celebrating it as a metaphorical gesture. Surely it's more like 'essential 21st spring cleaning' like when you found that Harry Hill DVD and gave it to the local Age Concern.

pigamus

• Sex, death, mayonnaise.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 03:59:15 PM »
What? Has Harry been cancelled now?

Brundle-Fly

• *Jooolie Andreeeews!! Thhhrrrrp!!!!*
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 03:59:31 PM »
The residents of Penny Lane must be getting a bit nervous.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 03:59:42 PM »
this is a pretty bad take. I thought you'd get behind this sort of thing.

it's not a bad take. I'm all for statues to be removed and destroyed, but this collective mentalism is not how I roll.

Captain Crunch

• Twister, Dustbuster, Hospital Bed
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 03:59:52 PM »
Nice touch:

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 04:00:32 PM »
It's no toppling of Saddam is it...look at their glee as they jump on the fallen bit of metal and stone.

...symbol of oppression and celebration of slavery.

Also:

Virus spreading pricks need now to head to Westminster where this frothing would do some good.

The controversial bronze memorial had stood in the centre of Bristol since 1895. In recent days, more than 10,000 people have signed a petition calling on Bristol City Council to have it removed.
Mr McAllister said: "It says 'erected by the citizens of Bristol, as a memorial to one of the most virtuous and wise sons of this city'."

"The man was a slave trader. He was generous to Bristol but it was off the back of slavery and it's absolutely despicable. It's an insult to the people of Bristol," he added
The slave trader still has a large presence in the city of his birth, where many schools, buildings and charities are named after him.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2020, 04:01:57 PM »
...symbol of oppression and celebration of slavery.

Also:

I understand the symbolism. Why was it not torn down earlier? (rhetorical). I think if this collective could direct their prancing, stomping mirth towards Westminster, all statues would fall.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2020, 04:02:40 PM »
Glad to see them masked and glove, in any case.

Captain Crunch

• Twister, Dustbuster, Hospital Bed
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 04:03:38 PM »
Also those not living in Bristol might not know or care about the amount of time, money and hot air that has been wasted on the limp “should we shouldn’t we” wrangling around changing names of things like The Colston Hall. 

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2020, 04:05:30 PM »
it's not a bad take. I'm all for statues to be removed and destroyed, but I'm better than everyone else.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2020, 04:10:55 PM »
What? Has Harry been cancelled now?

Not yet. He has only really gone for class, rather than gender or race. Give it another 50-years.

Chollis

• Master of Codes
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2020, 04:13:37 PM »
No musuem for are brave eddy. he's in the drink!

https://twitter.com/boringdystopian/status/1269643323532292096

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2020, 04:23:26 PM »

Whoops. He tripped and fell.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2020, 04:24:22 PM »

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

• Nothing is ever as good or bad as you think.
    • http://www.last.fm/user/georgethebadger/
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2020, 04:27:30 PM »

Johnny Yesno

• Perfume of a critic's burning flesh
    • Lines Horizontal
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2020, 04:28:57 PM »

Bit of a beige opinion there, mate.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2020, 04:29:30 PM »
Colston's a very tricky and divisive figure - the flipside of his slave trading is the philanthropy for charities, schools and the poor in Bristol, including for those slaves who were never sold and therefore stayed in Bristol, and those who were sent back when they reached the "end of their useful working life".  All of which in today's money I think someone worked out as equating to billions of pounds, as well as being the root of Bristol's now wide cultural makeup.  IIRC, he also built a church that everyone - regardless of class, skin colour and background - could worship in.  Which is why the argument about his statue and buildings and streets which carry his name has been going on for decades without anything being done.  And, it has to be said, there are both black and white people on both sides of the argument. 

Which isn't me defending it, I'm just giving the reasons.

As it is, I think things WILL change now - I don't see how they can retain the Colston name on anything now and hope that those against it will shrug their shoulders and accept it.

Also those not living in Bristol might not know or care about the amount of time, money and hot air that has been wasted on the limp “should we shouldn’t we” wrangling around changing names of things like The Colston Hall.

Cf. Massive Attack, who were among the first to demand the name be changed and said that they'd never even consider playing there until the name was changed.  Funny how it didn't bother them when they were up-and-coming and supporting other bands that played there...

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2020, 04:29:33 PM »

This kind of thing is definitely going to make the gammons start freaking out. (Up to you whether that is a good or bad thing.)

Tags: