Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,481
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:03:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

UK BLM Protests - Edward Colston sleeps with the fishes [split topic]

Started by Chollis, June 07, 2020, 03:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Ferris

Quote from: Buelligan on September 24, 2020, 12:37:36 PM

Yes, you're right.  It's really extremely disturbing, how can people be so far from all that is sane and true?  What is wrong with them?  I genuinely find it hard to comprehend why people would choose to be openly unashamedly evil.

I'm sure they are just expressing "genuine concerns".

Are we even sure the necklace is related to racial inequality? Maybe the judge is just a big fan of the Bureau of Land Management (for my money, the best branch of the US DoI).

Captain Z

There really should be some kind of anti-complaint system set up, even if just unofficially. It's very annoying to see things like 'record numbers of complaints' when in reality a record number of anti-complaints would certainly outweigh them.

Buelligan

I'd like a huge weighty Auntie Complaints to pop round to theirs and punch them very hard right up the anus.  That's what I'd like and I'm hoping for it to become true.

phantom_power

The Great British fucking Bake-off had a load of complaints because Matt Lucas took the mild piss out of Johnson. They really are a bunch of fucking snowflakes aren't they, the right? It is not "political" to mildly take the piss out of the most important person in the country. It is just a bit of topical humour on a fucking cooking show

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phantom_power on September 25, 2020, 10:34:43 AM
The Great British fucking Bake-off had a load of complaints because Matt Lucas took the mild piss out of Johnson. They really are a bunch of fucking snowflakes aren't they, the right? It is not "political" to mildly take the piss out of the most important person in the country. It is just a bit of topical humour on a fucking cooking show

They won everything they ask for, have control of the mainstream media but still act like victims. Culture wars, there.

Ambient Sheep

BBC News - Edward Colston statue: Four charged with criminal damage

QuoteFour people have been charged with criminal damage over the toppling of the statue of Edward Colston.

Rhian Graham, 29, Milo Ponsford, 25, Jake Skuse, 32, and Sage Willoughby, 21, are all due to appear at Bristol Magistrates' Court on 25 January.

The 17th Century slave trader's statue was pulled down on June 7 during a Black Lives Matter protest in Bristol.

Six people have already accepted conditional cautions for criminal damage for their part in the incident.

The CPS said it had authorised charges following a review of a file of evidence from Avon and Somerset Police.

The bronze memorial to the controversial figure was dumped in Bristol harbour by protesters after it was pulled down.

It was recovered four days later by Bristol City Council and assessed to have suffered £3,750 worth of damage.

The city council carried out preservation work on the statue and it is expected to be given a new home in a city museum.

Colston made his fortune in the slave trade and bequeathed his money to charities in Bristol, which led to many venues, streets and landmarks bearing his name.

Following the toppling of the statue, Colston's Girls School changed its name to Montpelier High School and the city's Colston Hall music venue is now known as the Bristol Beacon.

A statue of a Black Lives Matter protester was placed on the empty plinth without permission in July and was removed shortly afterwards.

The plinth remains vacant and mayor Marvin Rees has previously said it will be up to the people of Bristol to decide what would replace Colston's statue.

George Oscar Bluth II

Every time I see some racist going on about "bringing down statues" I want to step in and point out that in this country one statue was brought down. And no-one is talking about putting it back up.

kalowski

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on December 09, 2020, 06:51:02 PM
Every time I see some racist going on about "bringing down statues" I want to step in and point out that in this country one statue was brought down. And no-one is talking about putting it back up.
In 1977 no statues came down
In 1978 no statues came down
In 1979 no statues came down...

Kankurette

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 25, 2020, 10:38:20 AM
They won everything they ask for, have control of the mainstream media but still act like victims. Culture wars, there.
See also: Tories who complain about Private Eye being too 'woke' because it makes fun of Johnson et al, even though they're literally the ones in power and that's what Private Eye does and it mocked Corbyn and Abbott loads too.
Quote from: kalowski on December 09, 2020, 09:29:46 PM
In 1977 no statues came down
In 1978 no statues came down
In 1979 no statues came down...
In 2020, ONE statue came down.

Captain Crunch

Bristol Tofuplex are doing an evening of films and discussion around this:

QuoteOnline Short Films and Conversations

Mon 25th / 7pm

Tickets: Tickets: Free/donations welcome
Advance tickets: https://www.headfirstbristol.co.uk/#date=2021-01-25&event_id=63765

Picture for event 'Support The Colston 4'

On the day of the first scheduled court appearance of the Colston 4, there will be a online film screening and conversations to provide a context for that event. January 25th, 2021 will see four defendants appearing at Bristol Magistrates Court on charges arising from the toppling of the Colston statue at a huge Black Lives Matter demonstration on June 7th 2020. That toppling reflected the frustration of many about the continued memorialisation and honouring of the slave-trader Colston, despite years of campaigning to reveal the truth about Colston and his activities.

7pm - Online Film Screenings
9pm - Online Conversations

Black filmmakers have faced similar frustration and the screening will demonstrate the kind of talent the local film and television industry is only just beginning to wake up to. As well as video of the June 7th demonstration, it will include A Day To Remember on the Bristol Rising of 1980, CARGO's Uprising and We Are Not The Virus, part of the BBC's Culture in Quarantine series. All the film come via the Cube Cinema's online audio-visual platform.

Anyone wanting to see the films please get a ticket to the Cube Cinema's digital platform via local ticket agency Headfirst. They will receive a link enabling them to see the films on January 25th. Later that day at 9pm there will be on-line discussion with the filmmakers – Lawrence Hoo, Michael Jenkins and Rob Mitchell – chaired by Councillor Cleo Lake. A link to this event will be provided in advance.

"The film and television sector in Bristol ...faces significant challenges about its lack of diversity. Representation of black and minority ethnic groups ...is below the national average."Go West! report 2017

FILMS include:

Felling of Colston – Arthur Cauty
Under The Bridge - Director- Shaun Sobers
We Are Not The Virus – Michael Jenkins
A Day To Remember/Director- Rob Mitchell; Producer – David Parker
Uprising/Director – Lawrence Hoo, produced by CARGO
This Hair Is Beautiful – Akousa Lune
Carnival Time Again – Cleo Lake
Colston Must Fall – A Historic moment for Bristol

bgmnts

Another Tory fuckwit wading into matters and totally not understanding what a statue is.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55857650

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Captain Crunch on January 21, 2021, 10:16:58 AM
Bristol Tofuplex are doing an evening of films and discussion around this:

Genuinely amazed the Cube is still going.

Kankurette

Kankurette

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on December 09, 2020, 06:51:02 PM
To hear Tories talk you'd think loads of statues were being pulled down. Not like people wanted Colston anyway. And I don't think anyone is going to pull down Churchill statues.

ETA: a black man is defending a slave trader? Why?!

bgmnts

I'd piss on a statue of Churchill, just to upset some conservatives.

Whats the opposite of 'owning the libs'? Prodding the gams?

chveik

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: bgmnts on January 30, 2021, 01:41:14 AM
I'd piss on a statue of Churchill, just to upset some conservatives.

Whats the opposite of 'owning the libs'? Prodding the gams?

Voiding the gloy

Bazooka

Quote from: Kankurette on January 30, 2021, 01:05:48 AM

ETA: a black man is defending a slave trader? Why?!

He hasn't said he is defending  slave traders or the slave trade though has he?  Go and read the article again.  (I preemptively await my favourite adoring fans votirol).

Kankurette

I did. I'd say being mad about a statue of a slave trader being torn down sounds pretty apologist.

Not that I think Churchill was a good guy or anything but anyone who tries to take a Churchill statue down will get their head kicked in by the far right. Or even people who are moderately right wing. Don't underestimate how worshipped Churchill is by a lot of people.

phantom_power

I only skimmed the article but he seems to be saying we shouldn't erase the colonial past of the country but talk about it in context. Isn't that exactly what BLM wants and anti-BLM people are raging about?

Kankurette

Anti-BLM people are more outraged at anyone who dares to suggest that Britain may have done some bad things.

jobotic

Statues aren't organic - they are put up by people, and the act of doing that is also part of history. Why on earth does removing a statue celebrating the greatness of a slave trader stop anyone talking about the colonial past of this country.

Do Germans not talk about Nazism because berlin is no longer draped in swastikas?

This "erasing history" stuff is codswallop

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: phantom_power on January 30, 2021, 10:20:29 AM
I only skimmed the article but he seems to be saying we shouldn't erase the colonial past of the country but talk about it in context. Isn't that exactly what BLM wants and anti-BLM people are raging about?

Exactly. Fairtrade say

QuoteDecolonising the curriculum involves viewing the curriculum through a critical lens, both teachers and students alike. Essentially, it means viewing teaching and learning from multiple perspectives, and questioning what is being taught. For instance, by asking: Where has this knowledge come from? Whose knowledge is this? Whose viewpoint does it represent?

For instance, you might have heard about the sixth formers from London who are campaigning to change the way British colonial history is taught on the National Curriculum. The students feel that parts of history relating to the British Empire are being left out of history lessons, including the role that Britain played in taking people as slaves from Africa. This is a good example of what it means to decolonise the curriculum...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55857650

phantom_power

Statues are decorations, not history. History is events and attitudes. Taking down statues is more "history" than the statues themselves