Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:56:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

UK BLM Protests - Edward Colston sleeps with the fishes [split topic]

Started by Chollis, June 07, 2020, 03:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 07, 2020, 04:29:33 PMThis kind of thing is definitely going to make the gammons start freaking out. (Up to you whether that is a good or bad thing.)

How could this possibly be a bad thing? They are freaking out anyway, it's just that their Angry Froth Bazookas will be retargeted towards the Bristol region.

Bronzy

Bit awkward if any of the people there are University of Bristol students...

"A 2018 study commissioned by the university estimated 85% of the philanthropic funds used for the institution's foundation was directly connected with the transatlantic slave trade."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Bristol

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 07, 2020, 04:32:54 PM
How could this possibly be a bad thing? They are freaking out anyway, it's just that their Angry Froth Bazookas will be retargeted towards the Bristol region.

Jacob Rees-Mogg elected Admiral-Emperor-Chancellor-for-Life is landslide victory.

Bernice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 07, 2020, 03:59:31 PM
The residents of Penny Lane must be getting a bit nervous.

A name change would probably just save the odd German/Japanese tourist the bother of trecking a few miles into suburbia to look at an utterly non-descript street. The shabby old wine bar got bought and turned into a soulless, brass-fitted, Gin balloon knobhead emporium a year back so fuck it, let the whole road go.

That statue will make a better museum piece with a few angry dings and knicks in it.

Quote from: Bronzy on June 07, 2020, 04:35:38 PM
Bit awkward if any of the people there are University of Bristol students...

"A 2018 study commissioned by the university estimated 85% of the philanthropic funds used for the institution's foundation was directly connected with the transatlantic slave trade."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Bristol

All of British and American society has benefited from the legacy of slavery. Doesn't mean you have to have a public statue to a slave trader.

bgmnts

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 07, 2020, 04:37:47 PM
All society has benefited from the legacy of slavery. Doesn't mean you have to have a public statute to a slave trader.

Bronzy

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 07, 2020, 04:37:47 PM
All of British and American society has benefited from the legacy of slavery. Doesn't mean you have to have a public statue to a slave trader.

Why not just stick some big sideburns on him and make it a Brunel statue instead?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bronzy on June 07, 2020, 04:40:32 PM
Why not just stick some big sideburns on him and make it a Brunel statue instead?

The required hat would probs break height restrictions.

bgmnts

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 07, 2020, 04:39:41 PM
Not sure what your point is. Chinese society benefited from the African slave trade?

It feels like a lot of people think slavery is exclusively a racial issue, when its basically a human issue.

Bronzy

Quote from: bgmnts on June 07, 2020, 04:41:44 PM
It feels like a lot of people think slavery is exclusively a racial issue, when its basically a human issue.

+1

Pink Gregory

No amount of philanthropy makes up for slavery.  It's a public monument that a person of even 3-4 generations of African descent could look at that said 'This man felt he was entitled to own you'.

He's had enough time to be memorialised.  This loses Bristol nothing.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: bgmnts on June 07, 2020, 04:41:44 PM
It feels a lot of people think slavery is a racial issue, when its basically a human issue.

Quote from: Bronzy on June 07, 2020, 04:42:19 PM
Certain parts of African society benefitted as well.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/when-the-slave-traders-were-african-11568991595

EDIT: Bloody WSJ and their paywall

So, the answer is don't bother signalling that we want attitudes to change in the UK? How very progressive.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 07, 2020, 04:45:25 PM
He's had enough time to be memorialised.  This loses Bristol nothing.

Very true, although given how deep in the financial shit most local authorities are at the moment (with a couple on the verge of effectively declaring bankruptcy), don't expect it to change any time soon...

Although the statue's been done for them, so that's saved a few thousand quid off the bat.

Bernice

The trans-atlantic slave trade, which is the point of protest here and which has a far more legible mark on modern western society, was an explicitly racial issue. People aren't ignorant of the fact that slavery has existed and continues to exist in other forms, it's just not particularly relevant to a Black Lives Matter protest.

Bronzy

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 07, 2020, 04:45:46 PM
So, the answer is don't bother signalling that we want attitudes to change in the UK? How very progressive.

You're putting words in my mouth.

I don't object to the statue being taken down, I just don't see how relevant it is to BLM, which is mainly about police brutality.

Bronzy

Quote from: Bernice on June 07, 2020, 04:48:34 PM
The trans-atlantic slave trade, which is the point of protest here and which has a far more legible mark on modern western society, was an explicitly racial issue. People aren't ignorant of the fact that slavery has existed and continues to exist in other forms, it's just not particularly relevant to a Black Lives Matter protest.

You've said what I'm trying to say far more eloquently than I can.

Bronzy

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 07, 2020, 04:46:46 PM
Good lord

If we're going to be clear and honest about history and put everything out in the open, then the wrongdoings of everyone involved must be acknowledged.

I'm not denying it was by far white Europeans that benefitted the most, but we have to be honest about everyone's role in the whole thing and that has to include the Africans that sold slaves as well.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Bronzy on June 07, 2020, 04:49:37 PM
You're putting words in my mouth.

What was that comment about Bristol students about, then? Perhaps some of them do know the university's history now they've been in Bristol for a bit.

Quote from: Bronzy on June 07, 2020, 04:52:04 PM
You've said what I'm trying to say far more eloquently than I can.

Seems that way. So, you're pleased the statue got dunked, then?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Bronzy on June 07, 2020, 04:55:50 PM
If we're going to be clear and honest about history and put everything out in the open, then the wrongdoings of everyone involved must be acknowledged.

I'm not denying it was by far white Europeans that benefitted the most, but we have to be honest about everyone's role in the whole thing and that has to include the Africans that sold slaves as well.

Christ, make your mind up. You just agreed it's not relevant to this protest.

Bronzy

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 07, 2020, 04:58:04 PM
Christ, make your mind up. You just agreed it's not relevant to this protest.

I was just responding to someone else on another point, I agree it isn't relevant and I'm going to stop talking about this as I realise I don't feel knowledgeable enough about either topics to engage in a proper debate.

bgmnts

Quote from: Bronzy on June 07, 2020, 05:00:32 PM
I was just responding to someone else on another point, I agree it isn't relevant and I'm going to stop talking about this as I realise I don't feel knowledgeable enough about either topics to engage in a proper debate.

Nobody here is knowledgeable enough or has any answers, don't worry.

Bronzy

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 07, 2020, 04:57:06 PM
What was that comment about Bristol students about, then? Perhaps some of them do know the university's history now they've been in Bristol for a bit.

Seems that way. So, you're pleased the statue got dunked, then?

I suppose, just don't see the point of doing it during a BLM protest.

Enough of this "All Live Matters," Alan Partridge-ass thread detour!

Crisps?

They're going to have to remove 95% of the statues and monuments in the US, rename 75% of the towns and streets, blow up Mt Rushmore, burn all money and find a new home for the president.

Shit Good Nose

Bernice

Quote from: Bronzy on June 07, 2020, 05:01:54 PM
I suppose, just don't see the point of doing it during a BLM protest.

You can't see the connection between the public commemoration of slavers and institutional racism?