Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:40:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

UK BLM Protests - Edward Colston sleeps with the fishes [split topic]

Started by Chollis, June 07, 2020, 03:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 07, 2020, 04:01:57 PMI think if this collective could direct their prancing, stomping mirth towards Westminster, all statues would fall.
There is nothing to be done in Westminster, and you need to come to terms with that.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Bronzy on June 07, 2020, 05:01:54 PM
I suppose, just don't see the point of doing it during a BLM protest.

I'd say this is exactly the time. Send a message while minds are focussed.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Crisps? on June 07, 2020, 05:03:14 PM
They're going to have to remove 95% of the statues and monuments in the US, rename 75% of the towns and streets, blow up Mt Rushmore, burn all money and find a new home for the president.

Alright, but one thing at a time, eh?

Bronzy

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 07, 2020, 05:11:45 PM
I'd say this is exactly the time. Send a message while minds are focussed.

Quote from: Bernice on June 07, 2020, 05:04:32 PM
You can't see the connection between the public commemoration of slavers and institutional racism?

Of course I can, it just doesn't feel like the right time to do it, gives nasty cunts (a lot of whom are in power) an excuse to dismiss BLM protesters as violent and thuggish (which is complete bollocks).

A group of masked (coronavirus lads) people should have done it in the middle of the night, or something.

To be honest, I don't really know anything, and I should research more before I try to talk about stuff like this, it just highlights my own ignorance to me.

Bronzy

Can everyone just ignore my past few posts in this thread? I can't even be bothered defending the points I've made anymore.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

There's nothing wrong with having statues taken down, but some people would have civilisation itself (meaning - debate, compromise, campaigning, mandating) torn down in the process. None of these people even bothered running this passed local government, so no one can argue "well, we tried the official channels first." This is to social reconstruction what vigilantism is to public order and saftey.

It's sad that I might have to conceivably one day stand on the steps of a museum to discourage these sorts of people from burning everything inside (we've already had someone on here moot the idea), but as society edges to the brink of lunacy and self-destruction, this may become a real possibility.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 07, 2020, 04:28:57 PM
Bit of a beige opinion there, mate.

why have you all been drinking the smug mentalist juice these last few days?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on June 07, 2020, 05:21:10 PM
None of these people even bothered running this passed local government

Except they have.  Loads of times.  Over decades.

Bernice

Quote from: Bronzy on June 07, 2020, 05:15:16 PM
Can everyone just ignore my past few posts in this thread? I can't even be bothered defending the points I've made anymore.

All good, don't worry about it.

I quite want that statue to rust away in the drink for a year or 2 and then be salvaged and put on a plinth as a monument to civil disobedience. Powerful stuff, this piece of art I've imagined.

There's nothing wrong with having statues taken down, but some people would have civilisation itself (meaning - debate, compromise, campaigning, mandating) torn down in the process. None of these people even bothered running this passed local government, so no one can argue "well, we tried the official channels first." This is to social reconstruction what vigilantism is to public order and saftey.

It's sad that I might have to conceivably one day stand on the steps of a museum to discourage these sorts of people from burning everything inside (we've already had someone on here moot the idea), but as society edges to the brink of lunacy and self-destruction, this may become a real possibility.

First they came for the statues, and I did not speak up, because I was not a statue.

chveik

Puce Moment

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 07, 2020, 05:22:19 PMExcept they have.  Loads of times.  Over decades.

I know this was brief, but I wouldn't bother.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bernice on June 07, 2020, 05:23:22 PM
I quite want that statue to rust away in the drink for a year or 2 and then be salvaged and put on a plinth as a monument to civil disobedience. Powerful stuff, this piece of art I've imagined.

Does it look like a mid-melt nazi from Raiders?  If so, what's the entry/viewing fee?

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 07, 2020, 05:24:18 PM

S'alright, I know what I'm dealing with there.  But as a Bristol boy with a bit of pertinent and relevant knowledge, I thought a response along those lines was necessary.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 07, 2020, 05:22:19 PM
Except they have.  Loads of times.  Over decades.

Totally.  The controversy over that statue (and the name of the concert hall) has been on the news more than once over the years.

EDIT:
Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 07, 2020, 05:25:43 PMS'alright, I know what I'm dealing with there.  But as Bristol boy with a bit of pertinent and relevant knowledge, I thought a response along those lines was necessary.

I'm from the other side of the country and even I've heard about it.

And yeah, nothing wrong with correcting such palpably-wrong statements.

Johnny Yesno

None of these people even bothered running this passed local government, so no one can argue "well, we tried the official channels first."

How is that you manage to be so spectacularly wrong about pretty much everything?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 07, 2020, 04:57:06 PM
What was that comment about Bristol students about, then? Perhaps some of them do know the university's history now they've been in Bristol for a bit.

Seems that way. So, you're pleased the statue got dunked, then?

Yes, but I'm not lying back on a sun lounger smirking like you.

BlodwynPig

tourism

It's sad that I might have to conceivably one day stand on the steps of a museum to discourage these sorts of people from burning everything inside

I bet you'd win them over. give it a try

Barry Admin

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 07, 2020, 05:24:18 PM

Yeah, but I'll put this up anyway to add to the debate:

Ok, Mad Max.

Spoiler:
Spoiler alert
You won't.
[close]

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Bronzy on June 07, 2020, 05:15:16 PM

We're all winging it to some extent because this expression of global solidarity by the masses is pretty much unprecedented, if only because we didn't have the technology before.

Puce Moment

Quote from: tourism on June 07, 2020, 05:28:54 PM
I bet you'd win them over. give it a try

You joke about it, but if today they are pulling down the statue to someone who contributed directly to the suffering of many black people, then tomorrow they are probably going to smash up some ming vases for shits and gigs.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 07, 2020, 05:21:34 PM
why have you all been drinking the smug mentalist juice these last few days?

Beige.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 07, 2020, 05:27:30 PM
Yes, but I'm not lying back on a sun lounger smirking like you.

Beige with a bit of pink.

Dewt

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 07, 2020, 05:31:54 PM
We're all winging it to some extent because this expression of global solidarity by the masses is pretty much unprecedented, if only because we didn't have the technology before.
I think working your thoughts through out loud and refining them is a fine way to behave. It's only ego and people expecting you to have figured out every social conundrum of the next 35 years out when you were five that make it not work. Gary Neville is the best example of this, just making blunders and then going "oops I'll learn about this publicly" and becoming all lovable for it.

BlodwynPig

GoblinAhFuckScary

but some people would have civilisation itself (meaning - debate, compromise, campaigning, mandating) torn down in the process.

Oh can this distracting hand-wringing please stop. This logic is used against every progressive action. The whole strawman 'where does it end' CATS AND DOGS LIVING TOGETHER MASS HYSTERIA

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 07, 2020, 05:33:56 PM
You joke about it, but if today they are pulling down the statue to someone who contributed directly to the suffering of many black people, then tomorrow they are probably going to smash up some ming vases for shits and gigs.

This is actually something I've thought about. 

There's a very prominent black Bristolian historian (whose name escapes me now) that wants to keep ALL references to Colston in Bristol exactly as they are.  Not because he thinks there's anything positive about it (although he has acknowledged the philanthropy and all that), but because he believes it's the best way of keeping a historical record of slavery's reach.  In his opinion destroying it all or putting it in a museum turns it into little more than a footnote memory which over time has the potential to be sanitised and half remembered.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Dewt

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 07, 2020, 05:39:13 PM
This is actually something I've thought about. 

There's a very prominent black Bristolian historian (whose name escapes me now) that wants to keep ALL references to Colston in Bristol exactly as they are.  Not because he thinks there's anything positive about it (although he has acknowledged the philanthropy and all that), but because he believes it's the best way of keeping a historical record of slavery's reach.  In his opinion destroying it all or putting it in a museum turns it into little more than a footnote memory which over time has the potential to be sanitised and half remembered.
I think statues are fair game. They're not really a document of history, they're a celebration of a figure. Get it torn down.

Removing old literature and ignoring parts of history is dangerous though. Don't do that. Don't whitewash bad characters in historical fiction. Don't remove monstrous books from libraries.

Barry Admin

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 07, 2020, 05:37:47 PM
Oh can this distracting hand-wringing please stop. This logic is used against every progressive action. The whole strawman 'where does it end' CATS AND DOGS LIVING TOGETHER MASS HYSTERIA

Also this kind of pandering:

Quote from: Bronzy on June 07, 2020, 05:13:04 PM
Of course I can, it just doesn't feel like the right time to do it, gives nasty cunts (a lot of whom are in power) an excuse to dismiss BLM protesters as violent and thuggish (which is complete bollocks).

As a very risk-averse person, I get it, but they do this shit anyway, and this kind of hand-wringing does - as you say, Goblin - stand in the way of progressive action.

"Violent and thuggish" - it's a statue.