Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:41:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

UK BLM Protests - Edward Colston sleeps with the fishes [split topic]

Started by Chollis, June 07, 2020, 03:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 07, 2020, 04:29:30 PM
Cf. Massive Attack, who were among the first to demand the name be changed and said that they'd never even consider playing there until the name was changed.  Funny how it didn't bother them when they were up-and-coming and supporting other bands that played there...

Funny living in a society where only the rich can afford to have principles. Funny.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dewt on June 07, 2020, 05:43:02 PM
Removing old literature and ignoring parts of history is dangerous though. Don't do that. Don't whitewash bad characters in historical fiction. Don't remove monstrous books from libraries.

Quite so, and that relates to my own issues with people trying to apply current thinking to history and past events and alter them to suit.  But that's for another thread...

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on June 07, 2020, 05:44:11 PM
Funny living in a society where only the rich can afford to have principles. Funny.

Fair comment.  But they are major bellends as well.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 07, 2020, 09:41:16 AM
Oh that'll be a long search, and probably a futile one. You see, they'd have to do something really heinous that threatened my life. Not just "march in the streets saying opinions I don't like", Mr Concentration Camps For Leftists.

You know full well the comment was in regards to people who are violent towards others in public who I specifically
named as violent policemen as well violent protestors. You know this full well, so I really have to wonder why you'd reinvent my comments to make it seem like I'm calling for anyone who takes to the streets and 'voices their opinion' should be thrown in jail.

I'd genuinely like to know what you'd gain by doing this, because I'm pretty sure you can't give me any answer which makes sense.

Btw I get that you were bullied as a kid (I was too, a long time ago) but scapegoating/fantasisng about beating people up really really isn't the answer.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Twit 2 on June 07, 2020, 11:00:39 AM
Remember when he tried to lecture others with a "what your opinions are is less important than who shares them" type statement?

Which actually says more about you than it does me - if you'd understand the point being made or the context (which I'm not convinced you do).

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on June 07, 2020, 05:58:40 PM
You know full well the comment was in regards to people who are violent towards others in public who I specifically
named as violent policemen as well violent protestors. You know this full well, so I really have to wonder why you'd reinvent my comments to make it seem like I'm calling for anyone who takes to the streets and 'voices their opinion' should be thrown in jail.

Interesting. Let's go back and check your remarks, shall we?

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on June 06, 2020, 09:47:46 PM
Thugs in police uniform, leftist thugs on CAB/Twitter. Can we just build a huge compound for you all so the rest of us can get on with civilisation?

With zero evidence that anybody on here has actually taken part in any violence at any protests, you call for them to be thrown into "a huge compound". For... talking shit on a comedy forum. OMG THE THOUGHTCRIME

QuoteI'd genuinely like to know what you'd gain by doing this, because I'm pretty sure you can't give me any answer which makes sense.

It's winding you right the fuck up for a start

QuoteBtw I get that you were bullied as a kid (I was too, a long time ago) but scapegoating/fantasisng about beating people up really really isn't the answer.

Did the mean minorities bully you SWP? It's okay, you can tell us. We're your friends.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 07, 2020, 05:27:25 PM
How is that you manage to be so spectacularly wrong about pretty much everything?

He's doing a bit, he's got to be.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 07, 2020, 06:10:10 PM
He's doing a bit, he's got to be.

This has been speculated upon several times in the past.  Still no closer to an asnwer.

Johnny Yesno

Puce Moment

Churchill and Cromwell would be nice. That would be a worthy sight to show our children.

Some of the CaB centrists might be interested in some of the Suffragette statues as they often advocated (and carried out) violent, direct action including attacking the police and using bombs. Pull them down or provide a child friendly laminated fact sheet on a plinth underneath?

Dewt

I just can't see how anybody could argue for the statues standing. "They are a document of bad things not to be repeated" is the closest thing to a valid point there, but it's completely eradicated when weighed against "people have to live in the literal shadow of a figure so oppressive that their actions still affect your generation".

jobotic

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on June 07, 2020, 06:06:16 PM
You're really creepy and weird.

Remember when you told Bgmnts he led a worthless life? I'll find it if you like.

But keep pretending that you're the reasonable one.

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on June 07, 2020, 06:15:47 PM
So, if we're reading the same article. They signed a petition, literally waited a few days, and then tore it down.

Ignoring the poster from Bristol who also stated that this issue has been raised many times over the years previously?

I'm also from Bristol so am aware of all the campaigns to have this removed over the years, it's long been a talking point.

Check Colston's Girls' School as an example of the kind of attitude they were met with:

QuoteIn November 2017, after decades of debates, Colston's Girls' School announced that it was not going to drop the name of Colston because it was of "no benefit" to the school to do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colston%27s_Girls%27_School

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on June 07, 2020, 06:15:47 PM
So, if we're reading the same article. They signed a petition, literally waited a few days, and then tore it down.

That's just the most recent in a VERY long line of petitions.  There have been hundreds.  I'm 41 years old and people were talking about wanting the statue removed and road and building names changed as far back as i can remember, and no doubt it was a hot topic before I was even born.

Bit of fact checking in future perhaps, eh?

peanutbutter

Haven't read much of anything in terms of what happened today but I'd fucking love to see a few Cromwell things destroyed. The gulf in how he's taught in English schools and Irish schools is absolutely gigantic and I think it's sufficiently close to home for a lot of people that they might actually take some of the points against him on board.

Bronzy

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 07, 2020, 05:43:58 PM
Also this kind of pandering:

As a very risk-averse person, I get it, but they do this shit anyway, and this kind of hand-wringing does - as you say, Goblin - stand in the way of progressive action.

"Violent and thuggish" - it's a statue.

That's the thing, I'm very risk-averse too, and I just don't feel all that comfortable telling or encouraging other people to do stuff that I don't think I would do, feel like it'd make me a bit of a hypocrite.

In any case, I need to read more about all this before I start going in-depth about it, I haven't been keeping up with too much of the news or current affairs recently as other stuff has been taking up a lot of my time.

I wouldn't take my own opinion with any great weight, I know very little at the best of times.

jobotic

Tell you what was an act of vandalism. When they changed Salisbury in Rhod...Zimbabwe to Harare. Why can't they respect history?

idunnosomename

the tories are fucking furious about this Victorian bronze going in the Avon lmao. if only they could get so angry about the COVID death rate or poverty

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Bronzy on June 07, 2020, 06:26:08 PM
That's the thing, I'm very risk-averse too, and I just don't feel all that comfortable telling or encouraging other people to do stuff that I don't think I would do, feel like it'd make me a bit of a hypocrite.

In any case, I need to read more about all this before I start going in-depth about it, I haven't been keeping up with too much of the news or current affairs recently as other stuff has been taking up a lot of my time.

I wouldn't take my own opinion with any great weight, I know very little at the best of times.

Ah, you're alright Bronzy. As I say, most of us are playing catch-up, it seems.

BlodwynPig

Rumours that the Iannucci statue is about to topple in Edinburgh and the Cambridge Morris Bas Relief is under sustained paintballing!

Heady times.

Shit Good Nose

Thursday

I would simply try to defeat the statues in the marketplace of ideas.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Thursday on June 07, 2020, 06:36:08 PM
I would simply try to defeat the statues in the marketplace of ideas.

Is that the end of game boss?

Bronzy

Having now done some research, my conclusion is:

Spoiler alert
willy willy poo bum
[close]

idunnosomename

Bristol has been fannying about on addressing this issue for years now. the cunt is everywhere in the city. anyway this is so awesome. now pull winston churchill down and chuck him in the thames woaaahhh im gonna cum

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: jobotic on June 07, 2020, 06:22:41 PM
Remember when you told Bgmnts he led a worthless life? I'll find it if you like.

But keep pretending that you're the reasonable one.

Jesus christ. Victim-blaming at its finest. This was literally after a week of him following me into everything thread calling me a cunt. He was going out of his way to be nasty, and in this self-same thread he can be found telling people to "fuck off" for no reason. He's not a good guy, and all the life-stuff he's angsty about is equally applicable to my own life at one time or another, so it's hardly like I'm lobbing silos down on him from some great height of wealth and success.

But yeah, if you're able to not respond to someone following you into threads for a whole week swearing at you, send me a PM and let me know how you do it.

P.S. I really don't see what these chippy remarks are adding to the conversation. When everyone was piling on Dewt I left it be (despite having had a few runs in with him) because it's disruptive and adds precisely nothing to the conversation. All we end up with is about 6 of 7 conversations running parrellel, the most interesting of which I'm now no longer able to keep up with.