Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:12:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

India Covid-19

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, June 07, 2020, 08:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheffield Wednesday

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-india-52946508

India overtakes Italy in numbers of cases. My mate in Mumbai said that the data recording and reporting is finger in the air stuff. They've also recently started to lift restrictions. As fucked as the UK situation is, we're still very very fortunate to have the health care services that we do.

Wonderful Butternut

Maybe it's the media, or just me getting distracted by fapping to America being on fire and not tracking it, but I'm surprised we haven't heard more about COVID fucking up developing countries.

Like, even if the government in India had the best interest of public health in place at the expense of all else, how the fuck do you social distance in a large Indian city?

Sheffield Wednesday

I think part of it is a lack of accurate data. Part of it is Western media couldn't give a fuck. Part of it is that it seemed to spread very slowly at first and people were talking up the 'success' of certain countries when it was far far too early to do so.

I expect the UK media to start reporting when it gets bad enough elsewhere to put our failures in relative relief.

I only really give a shit because I've got a good mate out there in health care and I have a passionate cricket rivalry with him.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on June 07, 2020, 08:38:27 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-india-52946508

India overtakes Italy in numbers of cases. My mate in Mumbai said that the data recording and reporting is finger in the air stuff. They've also recently started to lift restrictions. As fucked as the UK situation is, we're still very very fortunate to have the health care services that we do.

rhetorical - why are they all lifting restrictions like its a factor of time since outbreak and not measures of risk. [only capitalism or?]

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on June 07, 2020, 08:55:12 PM

I only really give a shit because I've got a good mate out there in health care and I have a passionate cricket rivalry with him.

right...

did you lose your other account Boston?

chveik

since the end of the lockdown I feel like covid hasn't been much in the western news. I dunno if it's because developping/poor countries are now the biggest hotbeds, or if it's just because the shitmunchers are tired of it. both I expect

edit what Sheffield said

Sheffield Wednesday

I'm think people in India are vastly more vulnerable to the economic effects of lockdown than almost anyone in this country.

And yeah, that reads quite poorly...what I meant by 'only give a shit' was 'only follow this so closely'. Apologies for the shorthand. I'm tired.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on June 07, 2020, 08:58:00 PM
I'm think people in India are vastly more vulnerable to the economic effects of lockdown than almost anyone in this country.

And yeah, that reads quite poorly...what I meant by 'only give a shit' was 'only follow this so closely'. Apologies for the shorthand. I'm tired.

4.2 billion people accept your apology

Sheffield Wednesday

Ehhhh don't be a wank come on man

I can't be fucked

bgmnts

As someone else posted in another thread, you can buy a box of three shirts to support Bangladeshi workers who have been fucked due to big brands cancelling already made orders.

https://loststock.com/

I bought one yesterday with the last of my cash.

Sheffield Wednesday

Cheers, that's appreciated.

Chedney Honks

Six weeks on, India is sadly in real trouble. My mate is currently trying to get out but finding it very difficult. He said it's like the early days of China and Italy with hospitals overloaded. The shittest thing is that we had a choice and wasted it but India has done their fucking best, it's heartbreaking.

Mister Six

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 19, 2020, 06:35:08 AM
Six weeks on, India is sadly in real trouble. My mate is currently trying to get out but finding it very difficult. He said it's like the early days of China and Italy with hospitals overloaded. The shittest thing is that we had a choice and wasted it but India has done their fucking best, it's heartbreaking.

Mate of mine from Calcutta says the opposite - that India's been fucked over by unbelievable government mismanagement (eg. Modi basically ignoring it for ages, then suddenly demanding a massive lockdown with zero notice, causing massive panic-buying and chaos as people try to travel thousands of miles to their home town with no available transportation) and by the appalling behaviour of so many of its people (forget doctors and nurses being applauded - in India they've been kicked out of their homes and ostracised by their neighbours for being "carriers", and let's not forget the crowded streets when the Modi fanatics went out en masse to celebrate their glorious leader's command to, er, socially distance).

I mean, he is a glass-half-empty-also-this-drink-tastes-bad kind of guy, and obviously the ensuing death and disaster is tragic. But from his accounts, what I've heard from other friends with relatives in Bombay and Jaipur, and the news I've seen coming out of the country, India is the architect of its own pain as much as Britain is. It's just worse in India because of the high levels of poverty and the overcrowding that mean even the responsible citizens struggle to escape the danger.

Hope your mate and his family and friends stay okay though.

Chedney Honks

Fucking hell. Well, he is a staunch bhenchod and he is basically "India Number One" in everything so maybe he doesn't want to admit that to me. That sounds horrendous. No wonder he's trying to get out. I already know I won't challenge him on his account because what's to gain? I appreciate the alternative viewpoint and hope your mates stay safe.

Mister Six

Cheers. No, definitely don't challenge him! Obviously it means something for him for India to be seen that way, and as you say, what would achieve to deny him that?

evilcommiedictator

yeah LOL NO lockdowns really fucked over the people - they've got massive mobile workforces like most poorer countries, where you have to live on your worksite away from home because it's a fucking job. Then Modi says "hey lads, lockdown time!" and there's no more job, and no transport to shift the workers back to where they came from.

Turns out having a government for the people works better, but it doesn't hold out for long, as Kerala found out:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/21/kerala-indian-state-flattened-coronavirus-curve
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-53431672

QuoteOne reason, say experts, for this sharp uptick is that nearly half a million workers returned to the state from the Gulf countries and others parts of India after the grinding countrywide lockdown, which shut businesses and threw people out of their jobs. Some 17% of Kerala's working-age population works outside the state.

Unsurprisingly, more than 7,000 of the reported cases so far have a history of travel. "But when the lockdown travel restrictions were lifted, people came flocking back to the state, and it became impossible to curb the re-entry of infected cases," says Shashi Tharoor, a senior Indian opposition politician and member of parliament from Trivandrum.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on June 07, 2020, 09:09:09 PM
As someone else posted in another thread, you can buy a box of three shirts to support Bangladeshi workers who have been fucked due to big brands cancelling already made orders.

https://loststock.com/

I bought one yesterday with the last of my cash.

Has anyone had one of these arrive? I ordered one a while back. I can see people seem to be slowly getting them based on their twitter feed. Just curious.

bgmnts

Yes I had mine delivered around 5/6 weeks after purchase. I got six shirts in the end. I wear them more than most shirts they are good quality.

Really not bad for that price is it? And it goes to a good cause.

MojoJojo

I got mine a week or two back. Got 4 polo necks, nicer quality than I normally buy (which isn't saying much).

They sent me a few update emails.