Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vaccine Progress

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, June 07, 2020, 08:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheffield Wednesday

https://www.channel4.com/news/fingers-crossed-tail-wind-behind-us-we-could-have-vaccine-approved-by-mid-september-prof-sir-john-bell

Also bold claim but 50/50 chance of vaccine approval by September is a massive cause for optimism.

I've been chatting to a mate of a mate involved in the Oxford vaccine programme. Says it's basically limitless funding and manpower, he's never experienced anything like it in fifteen years or ever heard of anything like it.

I'm really really tired of people dying due to government incompetence and I'm tired of people's selfishness and ignorance. My mate's nan and grandad both died within a week, they hadn't left the house for ten weeks until they went to an outdoor café a couple of weeks ago. Just total ignorance, thought they were following guidance, now they'll never see his kids grow up. I really hope the vaccine comes soon.

Jittlebags

There's no vaccine for the common cold. Maybe that's because it's so mild that there's never been the impetus to search for one. Or maybe it just mutates all over the shop and you are always one step behind.Maybe it's like that with this?

Sheffield Wednesday

Yeah just say the first thing that comes into your head

GMTV

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on June 07, 2020, 08:49:48 PM
https://www.channel4.com/news/fingers-crossed-tail-wind-behind-us-we-could-have-vaccine-approved-by-mid-september-prof-sir-john-bell

Also bold claim but 50/50 chance of vaccine approval by September is a massive cause for optimism.

I've been chatting to a mate of a mate involved in the Oxford vaccine programme. Says it's basically limitless funding and manpower, he's never experienced anything like it in fifteen years or ever heard of anything like it.

I'm really really tired of people dying due to government incompetence and I'm tired of people's selfishness and ignorance. My mate's nan and grandad both died within a week, they hadn't left the house for ten weeks until they went to an outdoor café a couple of weeks ago. Just total ignorance, thought they were following guidance, now they'll never see his kids grow up. I really hope the vaccine comes soon.

Maybe a connection between the limitless unprecedented funding and drip feeding of optimistic notes from the programme?

Vaccine years away, if we even see one.

Sheffield Wednesday

BlodwynPig

I think the (western?) world has suffered a schism that the vaccine will not heal.

<copy and paste Boston's response here>

Jerzy Bondov

I don't really know anything about this subject

steveh

May have posted this in another thread before, but this from Nature covers some of the issues that have been found in the Oxford trial with primates. It seemed to moderate the infection rather than stopping it - though that's still helpful - and evidence is not there yet over whether in that case those vaccinated can still pass it on.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Jittlebags on June 07, 2020, 11:23:17 PM
There's no vaccine for the common cold. Maybe that's because it's so mild that there's never been the impetus to search for one. Or maybe it just mutates all over the shop and you are always one step behind.Maybe it's like that with this?

It seems to be a mix of the fact that there are so many different strains of cold virus, as many as 200 (and not all cold-like infections are actually from coronaviruses), and also that there's not as much need for a vaccine or cure compared to HIV or malaria or something. Although even the common cold can be dangerous for those with respiratory problems, cystic fibrosis, etc, as well as costing the economy quite a lot (£4.5bn per year in the UK, $40bn per year in the US) so a vaccine or cure would certainly be of some value both to humanity and to drugs companies. In the past few years there's been a lot of crowing about progress (we face the dreadful prospect of Amazon developing a vaccine against the common cold), although I think they say that every year.

poo

Builder neighbour of ours is involved in the construction of lab facilities linked to the Oxford project. They've doubled wages and asked them to complete it in half the time.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: poo on June 08, 2020, 12:07:19 PM
Builder neighbour of ours is involved in the construction of lab facilities linked to the Oxford project. They've doubled wages and asked them to complete it in half the time.
Why don't they triple the wages and get it done in one third of the time? Blood on their hands.

Why don't they just get Darth Vader to tell them that the Emperor is coming to visit so they get it done twice as fast but for no additional cost?

Zetetic

Half-way effective vaccine is probably a piece of piss - fine.

Distribution, particularly if it's only effective for a matter of months or a couple of years, is going to be a bugger though. Or we impose all sorts of travel limits, I guess.

Captain Z

I think they should just get on with it

Sheffield Wednesday

Just put it in the water supply 🤣🤣🤣

Neville Chamberlain

I'm really excited to see how they integrate the 5G-emitting microchips in the vaccine!

pancreas

Quote from: Zetetic on June 08, 2020, 12:40:25 PM
Half-way effective vaccine is probably a piece of piss - fine.

Is it? Have to confess I've never knocked one up before.

Zetetic

And I was busy this weekend.

Noting my boundless ignorance, we seem to have made decent progress on vaccines for similar viruses before (although they quickly proved to be of little value because containment was much easier in those cases) and coronaviruses apparently generally lend themselves to vaccines in some important respects (limited mutation speed). (But I was taking TBC's claim as given.)

But how useful the acquired immune response is, and how long it lasts, does still seem to be a bit up in the air - hence "half-way effective" and vaguely wondering about problems of actually using the vaccine to slow spread, let alone eliminate COVID-19.

Dewt

Dewt

It's not for this though, it's for something secret.

pancreas

Quote from: Dewt on June 08, 2020, 02:12:50 PM
It's not for this though, it's for something secret.

PM me. I won't tell a soul.

Dex Sawash

A good shortcut is start with a can of spaghetti hoops

Endicott

You need alphabet spaghetti, for the DNA sequencing.

Sheffield Wednesday

I spoke to my mate and he said he made a mistake. They actually working on a transparent poison the gobiernos looking to pump through the watar supply! 🤪🤪🤪

Cold Meat Platter

It's taking so long because they're trying out all the vaccines themselves.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Endicott on June 08, 2020, 06:24:01 PM
You need alphabet spaghetti, for the DNA sequencing.

alien DNA

shiftwork2

Just get a flu one and put some little trumpets on the balls.  Honestly do I have to solve every problem.

Sheffield Wednesday

Quote from: steveh on June 08, 2020, 10:35:09 AM
May have posted this in another thread before, but this from Nature covers some of the issues that have been found in the Oxford trial with primates. It seemed to moderate the infection rather than stopping it - though that's still helpful - and evidence is not there yet over whether in that case those vaccinated can still pass it on.

I didn't realise they killed the monkeys to get test results back quicker. That must be what he meant about limitless funding, going through monkeys like they're nothing. Great.

MrMrs

You don't have to put on the red light