Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:49:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vaccine Progress

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, June 07, 2020, 08:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

There will never be a vaccine

George Oscar Bluth II

There will be, it's gonna be fine lads.

Whether Boris will shell out for anyone who didn't vote for him under the age of 50 to have it is another matter.

Cuellar

pancreas

Cursus

I'm guessing this is probably bullshit, yes?

Zetetic

Why the fuck is there a hospital named after George Eliot?

Because she's the most famous historical/cultural figure from Nuneaton, where the hospital is? Why is that strange, there's loads of places named after writers, surely?

Zetetic

It seems utterly perfunctory. Perhaps there's quotations from Lydgate all over the shop. I suppose I wouldn't question a George Eliot Pumping Station.

I've never spent much time in the Midlands, but "Bronte" just gets used on things in West Yorkshire to such an extent that it doesn't really refer to Emily, Charlotte, Anne and Bramwell anymore,it's just a word people use when they need a name for a new business park or postcard shop or slaughterhouse or whatever

imitationleather

By this point the Express and Mail must have done over a hundred front pages between them triumphantly announcing that a vaccine is on the verge of being released.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on October 25, 2020, 08:13:14 AM
By this point the Express and Mail must have done over a hundred front pages between them triumphantly announcing that a vaccine is on the verge of being released.

"sales"

Nightingale, Eliot...whatever...distraction from the hell of it all.

Population "Awwwwww, history, Britain, Empire, happy now".

JamesTC

My suggestion to rename the Liverpool Women's Hospital as the Clive Barker Women's Hospital fell on deaf ears.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Cursus on October 24, 2020, 11:14:38 PM

Well December is pretty consistent with what they've been saying the whole time as a timescale for the first doses going out to healthcare workers, so I guess they're just planning on being ready, rather than having some insider info.

Zetetic

buzby

Quote from: JamesTC on October 25, 2020, 09:43:47 AM
My suggestion to rename the Liverpool Women's Hospital as the Clive Barker Women's Hospital fell on deaf ears.
They could have called it the John Rossiter Hospital after Leonard's father, who was killed at it's predecessor Mill Road during the May Blitz when it was bombed.

Cuellar

Quote from: Cursus on October 24, 2020, 11:14:38 PM

No, I'm sure a vaccine is really really close. Right round the corner.

😂

jobotic

Why is that funny? I don't get it.

Bernice

Two bits of good news:

Early results of the Oxford trial suggest it successfully gives immunity to the elderly (FT)

Professor leading the Oxford project reckons we might see vaccination begin by Christmas: "I'd be very surprised if this thing [the pandemic] isn't very clearly on the way down by late spring, at least in this country... we will get to the stage where there is herd immunity through vaccination."

Okay, the "home by Christmas vibes" from the latter story activate my reflexive cynicism, but I can be excited about this, right? I'm absolutely sick of this shit and this doesn't seem too flimsy a basis for a bit of gimlet-eyed hope.

Cuellar

Quote from: Bernice on October 26, 2020, 03:21:05 PM
Professor leading the Oxford project reckons we might see vaccination begin by Christmas

QuoteMedics and high-risk patients are likely to receive Oxford's Covid-19 before the end of the year, the professor leading the project said last night.

Either they missed a word or they've just admitted to euthanising the vulnerable to get the economy MOVING AGAIN

MrMrs

lol that's a big word to miss

Fambo Number Mive

So what does the Denmark mink COVID mutation mean for the success of a vaccine? Given how many countries have mink farms, how do we know this strain isn't already in the UK? Would we require a vaccine for each mutation of the virus?

It's just very demoralising.

steveh

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 07, 2020, 03:19:20 PM
So what does the Denmark mink COVID mutation mean for the success of a vaccine? Given how many countries have mink farms, how do we know this strain isn't already in the UK? Would we require a vaccine for each mutation of the virus?

It's still not clear how significant a mutation it is but the consensus seems to be converging on it not being enough to affect vaccines.

In the first press conference they said:

QuoteWe have seen several mink mutations. In cluster 5 we have seen 3 mutations in amino acid and 1 change / loss on outside. These mutations are around the spike protein that is used for vaccine development. In the laboratory this specific mutation doesn't show the same degree of response to patients' antibodies as the by humans transmitted virus does. We see a clear difference. ... Luckily, we still see some response to antibodies. But the decreased response to antibodies is enough to increase our risk evaluation ... because it would be a big concern for public health if we would see further mutations. This doesn't mean that vaccines wouldn't be effective at this point of time.

There have been a number of rebuttals about how worried people should be about it, like this one:

Quote#SARSCoV2 mutations acquired in minks are not concerning. We already knew that #SARSCoV2 can transmit from minks to humans. Though, this should be of no concern in terms of the evolution of the transmissibility of the virus. The population of #SARSCoV2 is so large that any mutation viable to the virus has arisen many times by now. There is no evidence that any such mutation affects transmissibility in humans (with the possible, questionable exception of D614G). There are thousands of mutations in #SARSCoV2 arising constantly. The fact that a few have been observed in minks will not change the strains in circulation in humans. If they were beneficial for the virus to infect its human host, they would be at high frequency already.

(Minor mutations are termed variants, only more significant ones are considered strains.)

Chedney Honks

Better safe than sorry, let's kill every animal now.

We can always get more.

bgmnts

Fuck i'm going to have to start going to the jobcentre again now, fuck off with your vaccine.

jobotic

Don't worry, one of Cumming's mates' company will make sure they completely fuck up getting it out to anyone apart from rich Tories.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThe phase 3 trials have involved more than 43,000 people. People from black and minority ethnic backgrounds appear to have been as well protected as everyone else, the company says.

What an absolutely weird and offensive way of putting it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Probably best to read as widely as possible here given there's an obvious financial incentive for the company to make these claims.