Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:45:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vaccine Progress

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, June 07, 2020, 08:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 09, 2020, 12:12:52 PM
Probably best to read as widely as possible here given there's an obvious financial incentive for the company to make these claims.

STOP TALKING VACCINE DOWN

Chedney Honks

Not for one second do I doubt the good folks at Pfizer BioNtech.

This is the greatest day of the year LGC

druss

The best thing about this news is that it's come out just after the election. Might have swung it for Trump if there had been a vaccine on the horizon (irrespective of whether you believe it will be effective or not).

idunnosomename

brittish vaccine for brittish people

imitationleather

Damn. I was hoping this would be life forever.

poo

If u got cash you get medicine quick

Fabian Thomsett

Ferris

Quote from: jobotic on November 09, 2020, 12:00:35 PM
Don't worry, one of Cumming's mates' company will make sure they completely fuck up getting it out to anyone apart from rich Tories.

Fine by me - they can be our guinea pigs until us working stiffs get a slice of that sweet sweet vaccine. If it goes wrong and makes their eyebrows drop out then I'd rather it happened to them first.

katzenjammer

Quote from: Chedney Honks on November 09, 2020, 12:27:00 PM
Not for one second do I doubt the good folks at Pfizer BioNtech.

The results are from an independent study, but not peer reviewed and published yet

idunnosomename

Dont want an american vaccine. They'll make it too sweet and put cheese in it

chveik

Quote from: bgmnts on November 09, 2020, 11:56:56 AM
Fuck i'm going to have to start going to the jobcentre again now, fuck off with your vaccine.

jobotic

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 09, 2020, 02:01:06 PM

They call it cheese.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: druss on November 09, 2020, 12:33:13 PM
The best thing about this news is that it's come out just after the election. Might have swung it for Trump if there had been a vaccine on the horizon (irrespective of whether you believe it will be effective or not).

Don Jr. is already moaning about it

Quote'The timing of this is pretty amazing. Nothing nefarious about the timing of this at all right?'

Bronzy

Women, children and the elderly to the back of the queue thanks!

jobotic

This seems to lack the usual level of circumspection

QuoteLife should return to normal by spring, says UK vaccine expert
Sir John Bell, a regis professor of medicine at Oxford University who sits on the UK's vaccine taskforce, has said he believes "with some confidence" that life should return to normal by spring next year following the Pfizer/BioNTech announcement.

Bell is one of the UK's leading experts on this topic, so his prediction carries significant weight – not just for the UK but for other countries, too.

Bell said he was "really delighted" with the news and described the vaccine's preliminary efficacy of 90% as "amazing". He said there would be distribution challenges but that these were not insurmountable.

It was likely that "more than one" vaccine would be rolled out in the UK by the end of the year or early next year, he said. "It rolls the pitch for other vaccines because I can't see any reason now why we shouldn't have a handful of good vaccines available. It's a major step."

On BBC Radio 4's World at One, the presenter, Sarah Montague, asked Bell if the vaccine meant that life should be returning to normal by spring.

Bell answered: "Yes, yes, yes. I'm probably the first guy to say that but I will say that with some confidence."

"That's fabulous news," said Montague. It certainly is.

Cuellar

If I have to go back to an office I'm going to pull this whole world down around my ears

Blue Jam

An RNA vaccine as well, cool. RNA is fragile as fuck though, needs to be kept cold and handled with gloves or RNAe gonna be chopps

Theremin

Between the usual propagandist inflation of the facts, and huge government incompetence in rolling this out, we're very unlikely to see this for well over 6 months, right?

Please, someone tell me my sweet furlough is safe.

jobotic

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 09, 2020, 04:15:42 PM
An RNA vaccine as well, cool. RNA is fragile as fuck though, needs to be kept cold and handled with gloves or RNAe gonna be chopps

QuoteThe freezing temperatures required to store and transport BioNTech and Pfizer's vaccine candidate means it could be outside of reach of up to two-thirds of the world's population.

The potential vaccine must be stored at -75 degrees celsius and administered in two separate doses about three weeks apart. In wealthy countries that would mean it would likely be distributed at hospitals or specially-built centres rather than at pharmacies or the office of your local GP. For poor countries - without reliable electricity supplies or the infrastructure to keep the vaccines at that freezing temperature - it might mean it is not delivered at all.

A white paper by the logistics company DHL released in September found that "extraordinary measures" would be required to distribute a frozen vaccine beyond about 25 countries - covering only one-third of the world's population - that currently have the capacity to store it.

"Currently, large parts of Africa, South America and Asia could not be readily supplied at scale due to lack of cold-chain logistics capacity suitable for life science products," DHL said in its study.

Seemingly prosaic issues such as poor quality roads might also be a major hurdle, increasing the risk of damage to fragile vials as they are distributed to remote and rural areas.

Pfizer and BioNTech have sought to address these issues by designing reusable suitcase-sized shipping boxes that could store between 1,000 and 5,000 doses of the vaccine at freezing temperatures for up to 10 days.

That might ease distribution bottlenecks but is unlikely to eliminate the problems completely, leaving potentially billions of people waiting for another candidate that can be stored at milder temperatures, such as a potential vaccine being developed by Johnson & Johnson which has to be shipped frozen, but can be stored at typical refrigeration temperatures for several months and only requires one dose - easing its distribution in poorer countries.

if you need something copied and pasted from the Guardian website let know. Helps me feel involved.

Chollis

fuck thisssss. lockdown forever pls

JamesTC

Pretty amazing that Thanksgiving is happening at the end of November rather than the start. Nothing nefarious about the timing of this at all right?

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: jobotic on November 09, 2020, 04:21:35 PM
if you need something copied and pasted from the Guardian website let know. Helps me feel involved.

This is all fair but don't forget there's lots of other vaccines in development, if this one works it's likely others with less onerous supply chains do too! It's good news!

Quote from: Theremin on November 09, 2020, 04:20:44 PM
Between the usual propagandist inflation of the facts, and huge government incompetence in rolling this out, we're very unlikely to see this for well over 6 months, right?

Assuming that prior knowledge of this news is why they extended furlough to March.

JamesTC

The UK will not be getting the Pfizer vaccine. Serco bid lower so are providing all vaccine needs. Value for money for the UK taxpayer.

Bernice

Quote from: Theremin on November 09, 2020, 04:20:44 PM

I understand that the UK has already ordered 30 million doses (15m people's worth) of the Pfizer vaccine, but the first 100m are going to the US and they've only manufactured about 50m so far. I guess you'd expect this to be getting shot into healthcare professionals early next year, but there's a good chance the AstraZeneca vaccine will get approval for use in the meantime and start being administered in the UK before 2020 is out.

If you're not especially at risk and not a frontline healthcare worker, I don't think you'll be getting vaccinated any time in the next 12 months. However, the effect of getting those cohorts vaccinated in the next 3-6 months(?) should mean an end to lockdowns and a loosening of restrictions going forward. This, at least, is my understanding of the current state of conjecture. People who actually know things can feel free to correct me.

JamesTC

Quote from: Bernice on November 09, 2020, 04:34:28 PM
If you're not especially at risk and not a frontline healthcare worker, I don't think you'll be getting vaccinated any time in the next 12 months. However, the effect of getting those cohorts vaccinated in the next 3-6 months(?) should mean an end to lockdowns and a loosening of restrictions going forward. This, at least, is my understanding of the current state of conjecture. People who actually know things can feel free to correct me.

The reason for lockdown is reducing pressure on the health service. If our healthcare workers and most at risk members of society are vaccinated as a priority then there is no need for lockdown. At least you would hope that this eases the burden.

George Oscar Bluth II

Yeah if you get it rolled out to the old uns that cuts the death rate by, what, nearly 90% or something doesn't it.

I'm extremely uncomfortable with the noises that have previously come out of the vaccine taskforce that people under 50 won't be getting it at all, and if that is the plan and we have to risk the 1 in 10,000 chance of death and 10% chance of long covid basically forever then you'll have a revolution on your hands.

Quite happy to not get the vaccine for a year or so, absolutely not happy to be told I'm never getting it.

Crabwalk

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 09, 2020, 02:01:06 PM

Blue Jam

Quote from: Bernice on November 09, 2020, 04:34:28 PM
I understand that the UK has already ordered 30 million doses (15m people's worth) of the Pfizer vaccine, but the first 100m are going to the US and they've only manufactured about 50m so far

Thankfully RNA is a lot quicker and cheaper to make and to purify than antibodies, antigens and other proteins. You can make shitloads of it by growing genetically-modified E. coli in big fuck-off vats. I'd be interested to see how fast Pfizer can churn out those doses.

RNA is infuriatingly fragile though. I used to use a lot of RNA riboprobes in my work and they get weaker over time because repeated freezing and thawing isn't good for them. Also we all have RNAse enzymes in our skin, and it gets all over everything we touch, and if it gets anywhere near RNA it will degrade it. Probes get weaker over time as they degrade and you have to keep making new ones even if you're really careful to store them properly and always wear gloves.

I do wonder if the 90% effectiveness is in part due to problems with handling and administering the vaccine.

Also my workplace let the NHS borrow a load of PCR machines, I wonder if they'll want to get a lend of our -80 freezers and liquid nitrogen tanks.

A good place to administer vaccines would actually be an IVF clinic. They already have all the gear.

idunnosomename

bozza dot com will give the handling contract to some mate he played rugger with at oxford, and the whole batch will go mouldy in the back of a lorry stuck on the M20

Also lol at Billie Joe. Honestly wasnt thinking of that