Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:48:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vaccine Progress

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, June 07, 2020, 08:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Isn't it a pretty big step from it being successful in small lab trials to it working out in the wild on a large population and demographic? Isn't there a lot to do and a lot of chances of failure between those two points?

Cuellar

No, it will all be over by Christmas

JamesTC

Quote from: Cuellar on November 11, 2020, 11:49:33 AM
No, it will all be over by Christmas

Get Covid Done

Sick of it now

Theremin

Stop talking Covid down!

No, wait...

steveh

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 11, 2020, 10:59:57 AM
Things it would be nice to know about the vaccine:

Nature did a good article on the things that aren't yet known.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 11, 2020, 11:01:17 AM
Just had a look at the bbc and some newspaper headlines. To be expected I suppose, but everyone seems to be getting over excited and ahead of themselves.

I agree. If this vaccine doesn't work out, people have had their expectations raised so high (and in fairness to him, Johnson did sound a note of caution at his briefing) by the media that it's going to be very demoralising.

Jasha

Things it would be nice to know about the vaccine:
4) Will it leave you with a 12 hour erection/fanny gallops

Thinking about it, the plan to vaccinate people in care homes first is pretty high risk, considering the safety and elderly effectiveness issues.

Perfect large scale lab rat study group

Chedney Honks

Can't help but feel that Wales and the like need to grow up and make their own vaccine now.

Fambo Number Mive

Chedney Honks

I don't know why but I expected that to link to some Russian lung implosion story.

Good on you, Russia.

idunnosomename

project fear. i think covid will be a success and we'll be scraping by on government grants while spending a good chunk of the day wanking for a great many years to come

JamesTC

Scientists can't be that smart if it took them this long to find a vaccine that was clearly labelled like that.

imitationleather

It's a very tiny bottle of bleach.

Bence Fekete

Who wouldn't trust the

ᴒ     
       o
<     ᓓ         
ᗆ     o
ᴒ     ᴝ
ᴒ     ᗆ
𝄩     <
ᴝ     𝄩
ጠ    ᓓ
       ⊂
       ᔕ

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThis is not a competition

... It is though, let's face it.

scarecrow

The Moderna Vaccine is apparently indicating 95% success, so anyone who takes that and the Pfizer one together will have 185% protection.

FredNurke

That means you can almost cure one other person by just being in the same room.

scarecrow

I hear that with all the effective vaccines emerging, the virus is currently looking for a new job... As a tour guide at Barnard Castle!

olliebean

Quote from: scarecrow on November 16, 2020, 12:20:07 PM
The Moderna Vaccine is apparently indicating 95% success, so anyone who takes that and the Pfizer one together will have 185% protection.

Moderna sounds like a kitchen design company. Or a font. It doesn't sound like a vaccine.

MojoJojo

Quote from: FredNurke on November 16, 2020, 12:41:22 PM
That means you can almost cure one other person by just being in the same room.

I know you were joking but the oral polio vaccine is infectious and people can "catch" immunity from someone who has been infected.

Uncle TechTip

95 people of which five had covid doesn't seem like a huge number of people to celebrate success over. Normally would be thousands?

falafel

Quote from: olliebean on November 16, 2020, 01:16:04 PM
Moderna sounds like a kitchen design company. Or a font. It doesn't sound like a vaccine.

It's a play on modified RNA (the technology)
But yes

MojoJojo

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on November 16, 2020, 01:49:53 PM
95 people of which five had covid doesn't seem like a huge number of people to celebrate success over. Normally would be thousands?

I'm not sure what you're saying, but in the Moderna (pronouced Mode-R-N-A) trial, there were around 30,000 subjects, 95 of whom have now got covid, but only 5 of those 95 were in the vaccinated group. The other 90 were in the placebo group.

Sebastian Cobb

If this is anything to go by, looks like the Moderna will be easier to store/distribute.

Ferris

76 million doses would be two each for everyone in Canada. One in each arm, get me fuckin vaccinated lads.

Zetetic

There's some expectation that you will need multiple shots over time.

By January, you'll be able to just stick the moderna one outside and it'll keep for a bit, I guess?

MrMrs

what's next with these vaccines then? More verification, approval by big wig docs and govs?

jobotic

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: MrMrs on November 16, 2020, 11:49:44 PM
what's next with these vaccines then? More verification, approval by big wig docs and govs?

Has to go to the various medical regulators for approval, they look into the data, the safety etc. Then once they give the green light they'll be vaccinating people pretty much immediately.