Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:08:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vaccine Progress

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, June 07, 2020, 08:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

The Moderna vaccine was part(on) funded by Dolly Parton, so no wonder it's working ninety-five (nine to five) percent of the time   

frajer

Catch Covid to Enrich Rishi

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 17, 2020, 06:27:42 PM
Rishi refusing to say whether he stands to profit from the Moderna vaccine, which his hedge fund invested heavily in.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/17/rishi-sunak-refuses-to-say-if-he-will-profit-from-moderna-covid-vaccine?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1605621400

Sunak is probably the richest MP and it is insane that his investments aren't public knowledge, or that his money wasn't taken out of all his investments and put in a tracker fund or something. Just abysmal shit, this country.

Cuellar

Oxford vaccine 70% effective, and those who took it 'didn't need to go to hospital for COVID-19'.

Great.

thugler

Quote from: Cuellar on November 23, 2020, 08:49:46 AM
Oxford vaccine 70% effective, and those who took it 'didn't need to go to hospital for COVID-19'.

Great.

90% with 2 doses

Zetetic

If the point is to achieve herd immunity (without massive death on the way) then 70% is alright, anyway, isn't it? Particularly if the trade-off is far more rapid mass manufacture and distribution.

poo

this is looking like the big global one. Amazing.

JamesTC

Oxford is the cheapest and easiest to store\distribute, right?

I read that it was £4 per dose. Which means it is £8 per person to get 90% immunity.

The 90% immunity comes from half a dose followed by a full dose a month later. Might be difficult logistically to work that but hopefully they can train enough people and get enough doses to cover everybody in a short space of time.

jobotic

Unfortunately the vaccines were given to one of a minister's friends' companies to be distributed at a cost of £15billion and they've all had to be binned because they got Ribena in them.

idunnosomename

Do we have to bring the £4 with us each time, like our dinner money

JamesTC

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 23, 2020, 10:18:41 AM
Do we have to bring the £4 with us each time, like our dinner money

I've got my flu vaccine on Friday. Think I'm having to bring along £30 for it.

thugler

Does this news bring forward the date that it will all get doled out? Any report of how long it will take for the whole country to get it?

Cuellar

5 months for enough people to have had the vaccine for there to be 'herd immunity' according to boffins (or Hancock, can't remember which)

George Oscar Bluth II

This is all gonna end folks.

Also it turns out Oxford have been testing everyone every week but Pfizer weren't, so the efficacy numbers are not directly comparable.

JamesTC

Grandma Butterfield's Christmas Pfizer

Cuellar

Back in office in time for summer. In time for heat, in time for buskers on the street directly beneath the office playing SHIT music all day, in time for sweaty cycles in to work. In time for grave.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Cuellar on November 23, 2020, 11:20:04 AM
Back in office in time for summer. In time for heat, in time for buskers on the street directly beneath the office playing SHIT music all day, in time for sweaty cycles in to work. In time for grave.

This time next year, you'll be looking forward to forced office fun like Xmas jumper day. Magic.

idunnosomename

Quote from: JamesTC on November 23, 2020, 10:50:04 AM
I've got my flu vaccine on Friday. Think I'm having to bring along £30 for it.
watch out for Fatty Harris in the queue. He'll give you a chinese burn and be down the tuck shop with it. And you'll get flu.

MojoJojo

Quote from: thugler on November 23, 2020, 08:59:38 AM
90% with 2 doses

It's a bit weird. The trial seemed to have different dosing regimes for different groups. Across all groups the average was 70%. Giving two full doses showed an effective 60%. The group given one half dose followed by a full dose showed 90% effectiveness.

Now, the immune system is weird and complicated, so maybe the half dose followed by full dose is more effective, but I think you really have to assume at this point that the 90% effectiveness is just a fluke from the small sample size of that particular dosage scheme. AZ probably keen to push it as they don't want to look bad compared to the RNA vaccines, and the press happy to repeat the good news.

Still 70% is good.

Jasha

Pfizer gone Betamax then. What would happen if you dosed up on all three?

Cuellar

The vaccine stops hospitalizations and severe cases. So after getting the vaccine you can still catch covid but you won't need venting? Just organ damage and brain fuckdown then?

Say no to the vaccine.

GMTV

Sounding a bit more realistic about vaccine timeline now. Hopefully six to nine months or so might be in a better position. By that point virus spread dying down of its own accord too.

Cuellar

Hang on it says the vaccine prevents 70% of people from getting ill, and that the Oxford one is good because the results include people who become mildly ill and seriously ill.

jobotic

Quote from: GMTV on November 23, 2020, 08:34:47 PM
Sounding a bit more realistic about vaccine timeline now. Hopefully six to nine months or so might be in a better position. By that point virus spread dying down of its own accord too.

But Hancock said we'd be getting it before Christmas. Was he lying?

Ferris

9 months?! Are the distributing the cunt via a fleet of tortoises?

JamesTC

The leaked NHS vaccine plan from a few days ago was:
    Early December: Care home residents and staff, and health workers;
    Mid December: Over-80s;
    Late December: Over-70s;
    Early January: Over-65s and high-risk younger adults, such as those with serious illnesses;
    Mid January: Over-50s;
    Late January: All adults over the age of 18.  Most of this group will not actually get vaccinated until spring.

idunnosomename

i will never take the oxford vaccine. never. i would rather die.

anything else, i don't care, untrialed guinea-pig bleach in my groin - fine - just never the oxford vaccine.

Billy

If all the airlines suddenly say you can only fly if you've had The Vaccine, will planes in December be filled with just pensioners?

Loads of 80 year olds having it large in Tenerife this Chrimbo.

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 24, 2020, 01:01:53 AM
i will never take the oxford vaccine. never. i would rather die.

anything else, i don't care, untrialed guinea-pig bleach in my groin - fine - just never the oxford vaccine.

- idunnosomename, MA (Cantab)