Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,462
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:47:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vaccine Progress

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, June 07, 2020, 08:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASFTSN

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 03, 2020, 01:01:40 PM
Speaking of anti-vaxxers, haven't they been around 15 or more years now? Haven't they done studies that show there is no higher incidence of autism or whatever in vaccinated children than their little grotbags?

Doesn't really matter, grifters gonna grift

Fambo Number Mive

Something pandemic related goes wrong - government try to shift blame onto the people, talk of "Captain Hindsight/General Ditherer" etc, even when it is fully the government's fault

Something pandemic related goes right - government try to appropriate it for nationalistic and Brexit reasons, even when they have nothing to do with it.

Either way their base will spin themselves into all sorts of shapes trying to back them.

jobotic

Bronzy

Bad news lads. I bumped into Matt Hancock in Sainsbury's this morning, and he's awarded me the contract to oversee the rollout. I have no experience of this sort of thing and am generally lazy and incompetent.

Cuellar

Quote'Not a football competition' - European commission rebukes British ministers boasting about rapid vaccine approval

And you can tell it's not because England have come first!!!!

LIKE AND RETWEET

JamesTC

Quote from: Bronzy on December 03, 2020, 02:49:29 PM
Bad news lads. I bumped into Matt Hancock in Sainsbury's this morning, and he's awarded me the contract to oversee the rollout. I have no experience of this sort of thing and am generally lazy and incompetent.

Glad to see our robust tender system is providing us with the best people for the job.

Fambo Number Mive

Smackdown for Williamson:

QuoteOne senior diplomat told me he was delighted Britons would soon be receiving the vaccine, but that "someone should remind Mr Williamson that the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine was created by a German company, founded by scientists of Turkish origin, in partnership with an American distributor, and is being manufactured in Belgium before being transported across France to reach the UK".

Perhaps Williamson should concentrate on his brief.

olliebean

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on December 02, 2020, 01:42:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the vaccine only lessen the effects of the virus if you catch it? It won't actually stop you from getting it or passing it on to other people, asymptomatic or otherwise?

It lessens the chance of catching the virus (i.e., testing positive) by whatever the efficacy is (62% or 90% or whatever), and also lessens the effects if you do catch it.

JamesTC

They got claps. What more do the fuckers want.

QuoteHospitals will instead begin by immunising care home staff, and inpatients and outpatients aged over 80. The change is likely to disappoint and worry health service staff, some of whom had already booked appointments to get immunised.

It isn't just the doctors and nurses who are fucked. They truly are pinning all hope on the Oxford vaccine.

QuoteSeparately, NHS bosses said the 800,000 doses that comprise the UK's first consignment from Pfizer's manufacturing plant in Belgium may be "the only batch we receive for some time", raising questions about how soon further supplies will arrive.

shiftwork2

Being distributed according to clinical need as far as I can tell.  What's the specific problem?

Zetetic

Phase 1 is supposed to be care home residents and workers. You could probably just about do residents with 800k doses (at two doses each), particularly now we've killed a tonne of them off?

shiftwork2

Yes.  The JCVI's advice is being followed.  There are certain Trusts I know of (Hampshire, for example, you might be interested to learn) that have booked in staff for vaccinations next week.

Zetetic

We're explicitly saying that we won't be able to deliver it to all care homes (but that some of this is down to the challenges of storage and distribution).

shiftwork2

You don't need two doses each from the first 800k batch.  The second dose can come from a later batch.  That doubles capacity and can theoretically get everyone in the highest priority group on arrival, with the NHS mopping up the leftovers.

I had a strange idea that 'cold chain logistics' was being used as an excuse to vaccinate the NHS and crow about the excellent take-up rate among health professionals as a means to convince the general population to go for it.  But perhaps the much-vaunted logistics aren't as fearsome after all - stable for 5 days outside of -80 doesn't sound that hard to get out.

JamesTC

Quote from: shiftwork2 on December 03, 2020, 08:37:50 PM
You don't need two doses each from the first 800k batch.  The second dose can come from a later batch.  That doubles capacity and can theoretically get everyone in the highest priority group on arrival, with the NHS mopping up the leftovers.

The NHS don't seem to know when the next shipment will be. How long can they conceivably wait between doses?

(hope that doesn't come across as abrupt or confrontational, genuinely just curious if it is logistically possible to use all doses on 800k people and wait for the next batch)

shiftwork2

Hancock (keep reading please) expects 'many millions' in December.  I'm making the assumption that this is at least a quarter correct.  On balance the risk is lower than keeping 400k sitting in a freezer (if that is even possible, I dunno) unused for three weeks.

Beyond my pay grade I'm happy to say lads.

poo

Pint of vaccine with a dash please mate

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: shiftwork2 on December 03, 2020, 09:01:02 PM
Hancock (keep reading please) expects 'many millions' in December.
And you're sure he's not talking about a backhander?

shiftwork2

I haven't seen Have I Got News For You for 30 years.

Sebastian Cobb

Have I Poo For You, more like!!

Jasha

Pfizer announce production may only reach 50% of original output projection

Cuellar

jobotic

Once again I struggle to see what's funny

Cuellar

Pfizer also say they're not sure if you can still transmit the virus once you've been vaccinated.

Bunch of chancers, the lot of them. Spivs.

Uncle TechTip

The trials just haven't been big or long enough, i accept that risk given the situation we are in but it doesn't diminish the fact that the UK front line of care home residents are simply part of a bigger trial.

Cuellar

JamesTC

Quote from: Cuellar on December 04, 2020, 10:26:50 AM
Pfizer also say they're not sure if you can still transmit the virus once you've been vaccinated.

Bunch of chancers, the lot of them. Spivs.

They didn't test for it in the trials so they just aren't saying for certain.

Even if you can still spread it after the vaccine, the fact that it lowers symptoms will lower transmission rates considerably.

Cuellar

If you can still catch it after being vaccinated, even if it reduces your symptoms or means you catch a 'mild' case, then forget it. Not going to bother. You can get massive organ damage from asymptomatic or mild cases.

Keep me in lockdown until there's a proper one please.

Uncle TechTip

Will private enterprise be responsible for transporting vaccines from hospital hubs to care homes or wherever? How many failed batches do we reckon, due to the difficult handling requirements etc.

jobotic

I have to go to work every fucking day whatever so I think I'd take it given the option if that's alright.