Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:09:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vaccine Progress

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, June 07, 2020, 08:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

This whole vaccine shitshow is very demoralising and I'm confused as to how effective the first dose actually is. If it is 52%, then it seems very stupid not to carry on giving both doses.

Zetetic

The suggestion is that the efficacy of the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine rises considerably over time, so that while it might only be around 50% in the first couple of weeks, it might rise to 90% or so after that.

(It will then fall again, presumably - part of the reason for the second dose is to try to encourage longevity of protection.)

Efficacy isn't fixed from the moment they push the plunger - it's tied up with the timescales of immune response rising and fading.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Zetetic on January 01, 2021, 02:25:41 PM
Green Book now indicating that you can mix vaccines - e.g. Pfizer first dose, AZ/Oxford second.
AstraZeneca before Pfizer, always wiser; Pfizer before AstraZenca, you'll need an enema

Chedney Honks

Fucking amazing that now we actually have two vaccines, they're still determined to cunt it up out of exceptionalist bravura.

These cunts should be in the fucking stocks and nooses.

Fambo Number Mive

It makes me so angry that 40% of this country will support them no matter what they do.

Chedney Honks

If my wife or cats die before me, *** ***** ** ***** ****, don't worry.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Chedney Honks on January 01, 2021, 08:20:12 PM
Fucking amazing that now we actually have two vaccines, they're still determined to cunt it up out of exceptionalist bravura.

These cunts should be in the fucking stocks and nooses.

Biowaste

Get them off the map

Zetetic

More stuff on whether dosing and mixing strategy, from someone who doesn't seem at all invested in UK govt:
https://twitter.com/VirusesImmunity/status/1345086669607890945

scarecrow

Apparently the issues around vaccine supply are a made up lie. The most likely issue is that we don't have the infrastructure to meet the targets set, despite having had ages to prepare, and despite people who have the proven ability to help offering up their services. Truly beyond the pale: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-vaccine-boris-johnson-supply-b1781391.html?s=09

olliebean

The millions of doses already supplied are probably sitting in a warehouse owned by some mates of Matt Hancock who are currently wondering how long they can get away with doing nothing before the government bungs them some more money to get on with it.

jobotic

Absoluetly. Not going to be doing this properly without working out a skim for their boys.

Zetetic

Love to secretly change a public Q&A.

Pinball

Halve dose 1 of Covidshield (the brand name of the AZ vaccine, in India at least) and you could double the number of people dosed with a given supply stock AND raise efficacy (post-dose 2) from 62% to 90% to (more or less) match the Pfizer vaccine. I'm surprised a governmental Dominic Cummings hasn't tried this on yet. (Yes I know there are reasons why the regulator didn't approve LD/SD as well as SD/SD, such as the lack of efficacy data for LD/SD in over-55s, but I'm Dominic Cummings, dude).

Pivotal publication for AZ vaccine:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32661-1/fulltext

Quote from paper summary:

"In participants who received two standard doses, vaccine efficacy was 62·1% (95% CI 41·0–75·7; 27 [0·6%] of 4440 in the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 group vs71 [1·6%] of 4455 in the control group) and in participants who received a low [half] dose followed by a standard dose, efficacy was 90·0% (67·4–97·0; three [0·2%] of 1367 vs 30 [2·2%] of 1374; pinteraction=0·010). Overall vaccine efficacy across both groups was 70·4% (95·8% CI 54·8–80·6; 30 [0·5%] of 5807 vs 101 [1·7%] of 5829)".

JamesTC

Fambo Number Mive

Surely filming, interviewing and photographing people about to get the vaccine puts them at risk, given it involves more people in the same indoors environment as them? Like when the first person who got Pfizer was wheeled past a load of medical staff who were less than 2 metres away.

shiftwork2

You do consider every angle and every eventuality Fambo, I will give you that.

Cuellar

I think it's a bit fucking rich that I didn't get the first shot of the Oxford vaccine.

jobotic

I got a load in the van, I've had five already. Bell me, yeah?

Whenever Hancock talks about having capacity, it's a sign that they're fucking things up.

jobotic

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on January 04, 2021, 12:56:21 PM
Whenever Hancock talks about having capacity, it's a sign that they're fucking things up.

Johnson has been lying about supply this morning.

Unchallenged of course.

Cuellar

Did that stupid vaccine queue calculator thing a few weeks back and it suggested I'd be done mid/late 2021. Just done it again and it's saying Feb - Jul 2022 now!!

jobotic

Same here.

Did it for my parent's details and they've gone from start of this February to March.

It's based on one million a week though and Super Hancock says we'll get two million. Four million. 100 million!

Cuellar

But we've just got shitloads of the Oxford one, surely it should be quicker now??

If you knock the 'uptake' down to around 20% you shoot up the queue, so it might be worth spreading anti-vaxx shit.

jobotic

Figures for vaccines not updated for over a week. What the fuck is going on?

idunnosomename

Boris johnson visited the vaccine factory in oxford and farted on the vaccine machine and it fell over and knocked all the vaccines into the thames

Norton Canes

Can't they just line hundreds of people up at a time and get the army to shoot them with vaccine-filled hypodermic darts?

Pranet

Quote from: jobotic on January 05, 2021, 04:56:20 PM
Figures for vaccines not updated for over a week. What the fuck is going on?

I've been annoyed by that. I could do with some hope here so it would at least be nice to see the numbers go up.

Fambo Number Mive

Johnson's claiming 1.3 million have been vaccinated at the press conference.