Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:40:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vaccine Progress

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, June 07, 2020, 08:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Quote from: jobotic on January 05, 2021, 04:56:20 PM
Figures for vaccines not updated for over a week. What the fuck is going on?

Because they can't claim anyone's been vaccinated until they've had a second dose?

jobotic

No because they have in the two weeks previously.

So if half the 1.3 million are over 80s who are the rest? Because care workers have been waiting for the Oxford one haven't they?

Junket Pumper

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 05, 2021, 05:13:44 PM
Johnson's claiming 1.3 million have been vaccinated at the press conference.

They should have done that in hospitals really, would have been much safer and easier.

jobotic

QuoteQ: Does delaying the second dose of the vaccine increase the risk of the virus mutating?

Whitty says the new vaccination programme should achieve more than 50% protection within three months.

He says delaying the second dose dose great some risk of virus mutation. But he says the risk is small, and that the scientists concluded very strongly that the balance of risk favoured vaccinating more people quickly.

Vallance says vaccination does put viruses under pressure to mutate. But he says the evidence backs the current plan.

So...50% of those who have been first dosed will quite likely still get it, the way it's seemingly spreading? This delaying the second dose seems insane.

Rizla

My missuses pal works for the NHS in York, says there's loads of vaccine lying around going out of date so they're trying to give it to all the NHS staff they can while it's good. Sounds chaotic. People volunteering to administer it being made to jump through hoops, like get unconscious bias and heavy lifting training that has no bearing on ability to inject people. Fucking farcical.

JamesTC

Quote from: jobotic on January 05, 2021, 05:18:45 PM
No because they have in the two weeks previously.

So if half the 1.3 million are over 80s who are the rest? Because care workers have been waiting for the Oxford one haven't they?

23% of over 80s have been jabbed.

Health care workers will make up a large amount of the rest. My mum is a nurse on a non-Covid ward and has had the jab.

imitationleather

Quote from: Rizla on January 05, 2021, 05:38:49 PM
My missuses pal works for the NHS in York, says there's loads of vaccine lying around going out of date so they're trying to give it to all the NHS staff they can while it's good. Sounds chaotic. People volunteering to administer it being made to jump through hoops, like get unconscious bias and heavy lifting training that has no bearing on ability to inject people. Fucking farcical.

I expected nothing less from this country!

Captain Z

Bloody EU red tape bureaucracy, can't wait to leave!

jobotic

Quote from: JamesTC on January 05, 2021, 05:44:03 PM
23% of over 80s have been jabbed.

Health care workers will make up a large amount of the rest. My mum is a nurse on a non-Covid ward and has had the jab.
That's good

Viero_Berlotti

My wife works in admin for the NHS and has been given a vaccine date of mid Feb. This was a surprise because she isn't frontline and is below 40 and not in an at risk group, so didn't expect to be offered the vaccine until the April/May at the earliest.

jobotic

I'm still quite perturbed by this leaving the second dose for three months business.

I men I understand a million people with 50% effectiveness is more than half a million with 90% effectiveness, but the WHO and the manufacturers are saying that it shouldn't be done. And won't the behaviour of those who have the first dose change (or possibly more likely, those around them - we can take the kids to grandma's because she's had the vaccine) - putting them more at risk?

Is it a good idea or is it just to say look we've vaccinated more people than they have in dirty Europe?

Uncle TechTip

From what i gathered via posts here, there is not as much of the supply as is publicly announced and this is a way to get more people vaccinated than would be possible given true levels of supply.

MojoJojo

I think it's a gamble made in a panic. I think the new variant has caught them off guard and they're worried with it's faster transmission rate and people being tired of lockdowns even the current lockdown won't bring down numbers.

Which isn't too say it's a bad gamble - there's good reason to think spacing out the vaccines will bring the R value and reduce the numbers going into hospital sooner, and if something doesn't change hospitals are going to start running out of beds.

jobotic

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 06, 2021, 11:42:51 AM
I think it's a gamble made in a panic. I think the new variant has caught them off guard and they're worried with it's faster transmission rate and people being tired of lockdowns even the current lockdown won't bring down numbers.

Which isn't too say it's a bad gamble - there's good reason to think spacing out the vaccines will bring the R value and reduce the numbers going into hospital sooner, and if something doesn't change hospitals are going to start running out of beds.

Ta. That makes sense.

But does the delay mean that ultimately the full vaccination (both doses) is less efficient than it would have been? Meaning in the long term there will more cases.

Old Thrashbarg

It's unknown. The trials were run with the aim of getting the vaccine out as quickly as possible, so I expect they'll have been trying to find the shortest possible time between the primer and the booster to give a decent level of effectiveness. Trialling an interval of 6 months obviously adds 6 months to the time they can be approved. So that hasn't been done (or at least, hasn't had time to finish and be analysed).

So I think the assumption is that the 3 week period is a lower limit and the booster shouldn't be administered sooner than that - potentially down to reduced effectiveness, potentially down to the efficiency of using the available supply. Many vaccines that require multiple doses have the booster months or years later.

The companies producing these particular vaccinations are probably largely covering themselves in case the effectiveness is reduced, rather than having any specific concerns that the effectiveness will be reduced. Though anyone who has had the first dose administered under the condition that the second dose will follow 3 weeks later should rightfully be pissed off that their treatment has been changed without their consent.

Schrodingers Cat

Had mine this morning, as NHS staff. Kinda feel a bit guilty about having it early when I'm clearly not as high risk as some of those who've not had it yet, nor am I clinical staff. But still, I wasn't going to turn it down, was I?

jobotic

You bastard, my dear old ma could have had that one.

jobotic

I saw a vaccine priority list that had the percentages of deaths next to each category but can't find it now. Anyone know where to find it?

Thanks!

Fambo Number Mive

They're already trying to shut down criticism of the vaccine rollout. From today's briefing:

QuoteSir Simon adds that today is the first day of the vaccine rollout by GPs - and that with more than a thousand locations for the vaccine to be delivered to on a daily basis, there will be bumps along the road.

"We've just got to have a sense of gathering round to get this thing does as a big team effort, rather than poking and prodding [at small bumps in the road]," he says.

Icehaven

Peak gammon;
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-55579004

Patients turning down the Pfizer vaccine because they "want the English one."

Cuellar

Well they're idiots then because apparently the Pfizer one will work (maybe) against the South Africa variant.

And we're giddily pumping into the bodies of old cunts who are going to die of old age in a month anyway.

Sebastian Cobb

Stanley Johnson getting his second jab despite the rules changing, lots of more vulnerable people and him breaking the rules frequently etc etc.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/pms-dad-stanley-johnson-says-23283347

sirhenry

Blue Jam

imitationleather

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 08, 2021, 12:02:47 PM
Stanley Johnson getting his second jab despite the rules changing, lots of more vulnerable people and him breaking the rules frequently etc etc.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/pms-dad-stanley-johnson-says-23283347

That's terrible news because if I had to choose one octogenarian who should definitely die of this...

frajer

Quote from:  Stanley Johnson
"I don't have to go far, and I think I'm going to be fancy free after that."

100% disconnected from reality. Cunt's living in The Matrix eating steak with Joey Pantoliano.

Sebastian Cobb

It's probably best to vaccinate complete dangers given the risk they pose to everyone else.

Although a bolt gun would do the same thing.

Blue Jam

There's lots of stories in the media today about unprecedented levels of NHS staff absences that might hamper the vaccine rollout. It shocks me that they didn't jab the jabbers first. Indeed all front line staff and paramedics should've got it. That would've created the first line of defence.

Fambo Number Mive

I agree totally, confettiinmyhair

In New York, the eligibility for a COVID vaccine has been so strict that some doses had to be thrown out. Now the criteria has been widened

Quote...Among the clinics were the Callen-Lorde Community Health Center in Manhattan, where the chief medical officer, Dr. Peter Meacher, had expected to receive just a small supply of Moderna's coronavirus vaccine to inoculate employees at the network of clinics he oversees.

Instead, 600 doses arrived late last month, far more than he needed to administer a first dose to his staff.

For two weeks, more than half of the supply sat in freezers. At another clinic in the city, small numbers of unused doses were even thrown out.

Dr. Meacher said that he would like to give the extra vaccine to high-risk patients, but that he had not for fear of violating the state rules about who could receive it...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/nyregion/nyc-coronavirus-vaccine-delays.html