Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:59:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vaccine Progress

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, June 07, 2020, 08:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

That's good to know, apologies for getting the wrong end of the stick, just worried about the government breaking with convention on vaccine delivery.

Uncle TechTip

What's the convention? We've never done this before at such speed.

Cuellar

The convention being what all the trials did, which we aren't doing.

olliebean

i.e., the convention being to do what has been clinically proven to work, rather than what some random war criminal ex-PM with no relevant expertise thinks would be a good idea.

Uncle TechTip

Sorry, i got the wrong end of the stick. There simply isn't enough vaccine(s) to go round. But it was JCVI advice to give two doses over 12 weeks.

Cuellar

Well they could have used the vaccine stocks they DO have to give people the clinically tested regime. Who knows why JCVI gave that advice but it seems SHIT WRONG.

Fambo Number Mive

Patel's been asked about "vaccine queue jumpers". Have there been any reports of this?

olliebean

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 21, 2021, 05:53:59 PM
Patel's been asked about "vaccine queue jumpers". Have there been any reports of this?

Quite useful if you have to queue outside in the cold, I'd have thought.

Fambo Number Mive

BBC reports that BMA are saying regarding the second dose gap that "the current plan was "difficult to justify" and should be changed to six weeks"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55777084

Cuellar

Quote from: Cuellar on January 21, 2021, 05:41:00 PM
Well they could have used the vaccine stocks they DO have to give people the clinically tested regime. Who knows why JCVI gave that advice but it seems SHIT WRONG.

See? Get me in there, sorting all this out.

JamesTC

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 23, 2021, 09:23:34 AM
BBC reports that BMA are saying regarding the second dose gap that "the current plan was "difficult to justify" and should be changed to six weeks"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55777084

I don't believe that the consensus is that the 12 week gap is dangerous but rather that 4 to 6 weeks is tested and effective.

I do think it is a precarious position with the vaccine and the narrative with the public. Negative news stories from the BBC and other outlets can have far more of a negative impact on the vaccine rollout. Any stories like this need to be framed in a more factual and neutral way so as not to mislead stupid people who will read it and just say they won't get it as the newspaper said it didn't work.

I know I'm kind of in a roundabout way saying they shouldn't hold the government to account in this instance but really there are lives at stake and vaccine take up is one of the most important factors. I was happy to see the UK was quite high up in a survey of adults over who would agree to take it. France was less than 50% which is quite scary.

Cuellar

On the other hand, lower uptake means I get it faster.

Zetetic

JamesTC

Turns out the conspiracy theorists were correct. This guy got the vaccine and now Bill Gates is controlling everything he does.

Dr Rock

Cuellar

That really is the Best of British. Why can't 'Captain' 'Sir' Tom Moore come out with belters like that? Fucking useless.

olliebean

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on January 21, 2021, 04:47:30 PM
Sorry, i got the wrong end of the stick. There simply isn't enough vaccine(s) to go round. But it was JCVI advice to give two doses over 12 weeks.

Only for the Oxford vaccine, I think, on the grounds that there was unpublished evidence from the trials that this would still be effective. There is no corresponding evidence for how it might affect the efficacy of the Pfizer.

George Oscar Bluth II

Still struggling to get my head around the UK doing something well. 478,000 vaccine doses done yesterday.

How are we fucking this up, I wonder. (It's the delayed doses thing isn't it, that's how we're fucking it up)

olliebean

That, plus probably lifting restrictions and encouraging people to get out and consume like billy-o before sufficient numbers have been vaccinated.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: olliebean on January 23, 2021, 09:40:39 PM
That, plus probably lifting restrictions and encouraging people to get out and consume like billy-o before sufficient numbers have been vaccinated.

"Sorry, the boomers are all safe now so everyone under 60 must go back to work to serve them" followed by 200,000 cases a day and ICUs overflowing with young people.

Followed by tax rises to pay for it all of course.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on January 24, 2021, 06:51:42 PM
"Sorry, the boomers are all safe now so everyone under 60 must go back to work to serve them" followed by 200,000 cases a day and ICUs overflowing with young people.

Followed by tax rises to pay for it all of course.

Big infrastructure kills Britain's last native species.

jobotic

Soooo...this German newspaper claim that the AstroZeneca vaccine has 8% efficiency.

Please you knowledgeable people, reassure me

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/26/astrazeneca-vaccine-may-not-be-given-to-older-people-says-eu-medicines-chief

shiftwork2

The little I've read suggests that they've confused '8% of participants were 56-69' with 8% efficacy which seems an unlikely level of wilful arseholery, but then I can't read German.

Of course all the papers have run with it for scares and clicks.

In short: dunno.  But it's probably balls.

non capisco

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 26, 2021, 11:30:41 PM
The little I've read suggests that they've confused '8% of participants were 56-69' with 8% efficacy which seems an unlikely level of wilful arseholery, but then I can't read German.

Yeah, it's this. The linked article says as much. The vaccines work, lads, it's all good.

jobotic

I had been convinced the 8% was bollocks but seeing as everything is pinned on this, and we have a government who, although deeply sorrowful about the whole thing, are willing to kill as many of us as possible, I do get a bit panicked about it.

JamesTC

I hope that newspaper gets sued to fuck for that. Cunts.

Ferris

Quote from: jobotic on January 26, 2021, 11:22:37 PM
Soooo...this German newspaper claim that the AstroZeneca vaccine has 8% efficiency.

Please you knowledgeable people, reassure me

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/26/astrazeneca-vaccine-may-not-be-given-to-older-people-says-eu-medicines-chief

The efficiency polls are wrong lads

non capisco

Quote from: jobotic on January 27, 2021, 12:01:32 AM
I had been convinced the 8% was bollocks but seeing as everything is pinned on this, and we have a government who, although deeply sorrowful about the whole thing, are willing to kill as many of us as possible, I do get a bit panicked about it.

Same, man. The worst possible people to have in charge at this time, bunch of out and out sociopathic incompetents, the appalling death toll speaks for itself. Dying for another chance to vote these cunts out. On the vaccine front I have an old school friend who is one of the many small cogs that made up the big machine that made AstraZeneca happen and I completely trust him when he says the vaccines are going to end this.