Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:12:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vaccine Progress

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, June 07, 2020, 08:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

Can't believe none of the rags went with 'Taking Our Jabs' re: the EU story tonight.

Uncle TechTip

poo

UK Gov - horrible incompetant cunts
EU - horrible incomptentant cunts

JamesTC

You get a miniature England flag with the English one.

jobotic

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Captain Z on January 28, 2021, 12:48:22 AM
Can't believe none of the rags went with 'Taking Our Jabs' re: the EU story tonight.

Surely the vaccines have been ordered upfront.  Months ago when the first vaccines were revealed, the news story usually ended with "The UK has ordered x million vaccines."
So if various EU countries have also ordered x million vaccines then there shouldn't be a problem with another country "getting our vaccines".  If everyone has put their orders in already, just follow the rules and deliver what everyone ordered.

MojoJojo

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 29, 2021, 12:04:59 PM
Surely the vaccines have been ordered upfront.  Months ago when the first vaccines were revealed, the news story usually ended with "The UK has ordered x million vaccines."
So if various EU countries have also ordered x million vaccines then there shouldn't be a problem with another country "getting our vaccines".  If everyone has put their orders in already, just follow the rules and deliver what everyone ordered.

I've not looked into it in detail, but from what I understand there are production problems with the vaccine in Europe, which is the cause of the shortfall. In the UK vaccine production is going fine (AstraZeneca says this is because the UK placed it's order earlier so they've had more time to get it going). EU says the contract they've signed means they should be getting some of the UK produced vaccine. AZ says no because of their contract with the UK.

Tbh, it doesn't sound like the EU has much of a case - if nothing else shipping vaccines from the UK to Europe isn't a simple matter. But then I've only heard from UK sources on this.

Buelligan

Once more, the free market shows itself to be the most efficient way of solving humanity's problems

idunnosomename

JamesTC

Feel like shit, just want a Russian to pump me with their sputnik.

idunnosomename

told you this Oxford one was a load of bobbins. they probably just jerked off into a big bat of saline for the bants

Cuellar

Yeah not arsed about getting the Oxford one now. No doubt the South Africa variant will soon become the dominant one so we're all fucked anyway. Total lockdown until 2022.

JamesTC

Like how it was ineffective in over-65s until it turns out it was effective?

Cuellar

Yeah, like that, except where the drug makers themselves say 'yes it doesn't work well at all, we'll need to tweak it and we won't have it ready before Autumn'

and

'This means we'll probably have to abandon the idea of herd immunity through vaccination'

JamesTC

QuoteA new study, not yet peer reviewed, involved about 2,000 people who were on average 31 years old.

But Prof Sarah Gilbert, Oxford lead vaccine developer, said vaccines should still protect against severe disease.

She said developers were likely to have a modified Oxford jab by the autumn to combat the South Africa variant.

Link

So it will still protect you from severe disease.

Cuellar

Seems to be sufficiently shit that South Africa itself has stopped using it, though.

Cuellar

No, it's completely useless. Smash up the supplies we have, like prohibitionists. Empty them into the sewers and wait for death.

Blue Jam

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 08, 2021, 01:09:58 PM
told you this Oxford one was a load of bobbins. they probably just jerked off into a big bat of saline for the bants

Bit sinophobic there mate

Ferris

Quote from: Cuellar on February 08, 2021, 02:05:17 PM
Smash up the supplies we have, like prohibitionists. Empty them into the sewers and wait for death.

Finally someone speaking sense.

jobotic

Galveston, oh Galveston!

QuoteThe Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine is effective against the coronavirus variant that emerged from South Africa, according to a new study. The PA Media report goes on:

In a study of 20 vaccine recipients, researchers at the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) at Galveston, America, found that the vaccine neutralises the virus with the N501Y and E484K mutations ...

In the UTMB study published today, after testing the sera samples - obtained from blood - authors found evidence that the mutant viruses were neutralised - destroyed by the sera panel.

However, there was variation as neutralisation against the E484K mutation was slightly lower than neutralisation against the N501Y mutation, according to the study published in Nature Medicine.

New strains of the virus that appeared in the UK and South Africa share the same N501Y mutation.

A separate South African strain has an E484K mutation, but a number of cases have also been detected in the UK causing concern.

These mutations are located in the viral spike protein, and could potentially increase the affinity of the viral spike for the ACE2 receptor to which SARS-CoV-2 is known to bind.

Researchers say the N501Y mutation also seems to expand the range of hosts the virus can infect to include mice.

Two days after my dad had a dose of the stupid useless Oxford one.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jobotic on February 08, 2021, 02:43:56 PM
Galveston, oh Galveston!

Two days after my dad had a dose of the stupid useless Oxford one.

He's going to have to cancel that Safari now.

JamesTC

The vaccine turns you gay!

QuoteAyatollah Abbas Tabrizian wrote on his Telegram social-media platform: "Don't go near those who have had the COVID vaccine. They have become homosexuals."

The radical Islamist has nearly 210,000 followers on his Telegram account.

He doesn't say whether it is all the vaccines or just Pfizer. I don't think his study has been peer reviewed so obviously take it with a pinch of salt but it makes you think.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: JamesTC on February 09, 2021, 02:12:41 PM

He doesn't say whether it is all the vaccines or just Pfizer. I don't think his study has been peer reviewed so obviously take it with a pinch of salt but it makes you think.

Makes me think of cock. With a pinch of salt on the end.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 08, 2021, 02:14:06 PM
Bit sinophobic there mate
your honour, please look at your keyboard!!!!!!!!! i am innocent.

flotemysost

Quote from: JamesTC on February 09, 2021, 02:12:41 PM

Maybe he means one of the forthcoming ones. Johnson & Johnson = two Johnsons, again, makes you think.

Would genuinely love it if my very conservative great uncle, who had the Pfizer jab in December, came out aged 90.

Gulftastic

Just had my first dose. My arm's not burst yet.

Cuellar

And how gay are you feeling?