Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:52:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vaccine Progress

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, June 07, 2020, 08:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

is this the level Islamist propaganda has sunk to?

"ahhhhhhh you got the vaccine that means your gay"

couple of years ago they were blowing up Palmyra and cutting journalists' heads off. sad state of affairs.

George Oscar Bluth II

I think the media coverage around the vaccines has been fucking appalling tbh, probably down to a complete lack of understanding over what the vaccines need to do for us to end lockdown. It's actually very nice if the vaccine stops us getting ill entirely, but tbh all we really need at this point is for it to turn serious cases that need hospitalisation or result in death into mild ones you just wait out at home. That's the important thing from a 'getting back to normal life' perspective.

Problem with Oxford/AZ in South Africa is that there's a question mark over that final, most basic requirement. But once the work is done it'd be a surprise to discover it doesn't prevent serious cases.

Cuellar

STRONG T-cell response against ALL variants from the Pfizer vaccine.

And we're stuck on plague island with the knock off piss-water Oxford one.

JamesTC

Pretty sure only around 20% of the vaccines that we have used are the Oxford one.

olliebean

They'll all be Oxford by the time I get mine.

Cuellar

Quote from: JamesTC on February 11, 2021, 10:02:44 PM
Pretty sure only around 20% of the vaccines that we have used are the Oxford one.

So we're already through a quarter of the good stuff. This country.

idunnosomename

both my folks got fobbed off with the toff vaccine which was made in a punt on the thames

jobotic

Same with my parents. Don't know anyone who has had the Pfizer, although when I applied to volunteer at the vaccine centre near me I was told that I'd get it (couldn't do it the end as work wouldn't release me).

non capisco

My dad seems fairly sanguine about having been given the Oxford one, more laidback than me about it anyway. I'd only just breathed a sigh of relief when they both got jabbed last week only to wake up to the news headline on Monday that seemed to say 'TURNS OUT THAT ONE'S SHIT.' Well, I had two days of optimism as a bit of novelty I suppose, like the snow.

I had to remind my mum today that there's a national lockdown on due to a deadly virus so I doubt she's fussed either way. At least she was holding the phone the right way up this time.

shiftwork2

In a few year's time the 2021 take-home will be 'they all completely prevented serious disease'.  Would have been happy to lower myself to the Oxbridge dickspray vaccine.

AZ's share price has apparently taken a tumble due to the negative PR around their perfectly-serviceable vaccine.

My parents got their first jabs a fortnight ago and they both had the Pfizer ones.  Neither of them felt rough afterwards.  Must admit I was quite relieved they'd had that one. 

shiftwork2

edit: bit weird, removed

GMTV

Quote from: shiftwork2 on February 11, 2021, 11:06:28 PM
In a few year's time the 2021 take-home will be 'they all completely prevented serious disease'.  Would have been happy to lower myself to the Oxbridge dickspray vaccine.

AZ's share price has apparently taken a tumble due to the negative PR around their perfectly-serviceable vaccine.

Appear to be too honest for their own good

Fambo Number Mive

Congratulations to Wales:

QuoteWales will be the first UK nation to have offered the top four priority groups a Covid jab, the Welsh Government has said.

Within hours, officials say, all over 70s including care home residents, will have been offered a first dose.

JamesTC

All of Britain should be done by Saturday. Pretty impressive.

Bearing in mind an adult population of around 50m, we could have all adults get the second jab by the end of August.

Can't help but feel they'll screw it up somehow.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 12, 2021, 10:39:16 AM

"Offered" is not the same as "Received". Mealy mouthed wording.

Blue Jam

Quote from: JamesTC on February 09, 2021, 02:12:41 PM
The vaccine turns you gay!

What happens if you're already gay?

Bit worried about this development here in Scotchland:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-56034499

QuoteOlder people are more at risk of developing severe disease or dying from coronavirus. But Heather Riddoch, the senior charge nurse [at Forth Valley Royal Hospital], says they have seen a different profile among some patients in the second wave.

"We're certainly seeing younger patients that are coming in and requiring ventilatory support," she says.

"All ages contract Covid, but we are seeing more people ending up in intensive care in their 30s and 40s in this second wave."

Senior charge nurse Heather Riddoch has been shocked by the shift in patient age
"I think it's more shocking to see younger people coming in. We've got patients in who are close to our age and younger.

"A lot of young nurses here are seeing patients who are the same age as their parents, and more families in the ward all at the one time as well.

"There's a definite shift there and it's shocking and it's more real because it could be you."

This means the increased protection of vaccination for the over-70s won't immediately relieve all the pressure on the NHS.

OH GOODY.

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 12, 2021, 12:45:41 PM
What happens if you're already gay?

You go hyper-gay. Louie Spence, Bruno Tonioli or Alan Carr levels of gayness.

Pranet

Ref the article about younger people getting it and ending up in hospital- I read a thing a few weeks back, I don't it was linked to here, an interview with an advisor to the German government. He was concerned that when the at risk groups are vaccinated there will be a lot of economic and political pressure to open things up again. He is concerned that could lead to the biggest wave of infection yet that would overwhelm the health service. He was talking about Germany but you'd think it applies here even more so.

JamesTC

That's definitely how they'll fuck it up in the UK. All the Tory MPs are already lining up to call for things to be re-opened.

C_Larence

Didn't the second wave of the Spanish Flu mainly affect younger people too, suddenly killing them on the spot in some cases?

idunnosomename

this isn't influenza and i don't think there's any sign of it killing the young like the post-Great War pandemic did. it's still awful but that was something else especially since it took young men who survived the trenches.

if you're under middle age it's fucking painful and horrible but chance of you dying is very low

JamesTC

Get in! Off to lick doorknobs.

bgmnts

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 12, 2021, 10:39:16 AM

To be fair, only about 12 people actually live in Wales.

If we were to offer the vaccine to every single sheep in the country then I'd say fair play.

Some of the shine might be taken off the 'Britain is best' at vaccines by the fact that several European countries have fully vaccinated significantly more people with both doses. It certainly gets interesting now with supplies and whether dose 2 gets delivered on time.

Fambo Number Mive

Cockup on the appointments front at my local vaccine centre:

QuoteHUNDREDS of people are reported to have been turned away from Oxford's Kassam Stadium coronavirus vaccination hub this weekend because of a booking error.

Some social care professionals, including early years teaching staff, who were offered jab appointments at the stadium - the home of Oxford United - have been turned away after being told there is no vaccine for them.

One early years teacher at a north Oxford pre-school slammed the system as a "chaotic shambles" after being turned away by a steward at the centre being run by Oxford Health NHS Trust on Saturday evening.

A member of staff at the centre said "at least 200 people" had also been turned away on Saturday alone many having driven long distances from around Oxfordshire.

He said the mix-up involved those who had been classed as social care workers, saying some should not have been offered appointments in the first place...

Confusion appears to have originated in a list posted on the National Careers Service website which included early years providers, including nursery staff and childminders, as social care workers who were included in this phase of the roll out. They were then offered appointments for jabs...

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19089502.covid-vaccine-patients-turned-away-kassam-stadium-oxford/

Blue Jam

Priority Group 6 guidelines now changed, people with "severe asthma" now won't include those who use steroid ("preventer") inhalers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56069455

QuoteAsthma sufferers will be vaccinated in the sixth priority group, after the over-65s and frontline staff, if they meet any of the following criteria:

They have received a letter advising them to shield
They have ever had an emergency asthma admission
They have had three oral (tablet or liquid) steroid prescriptions over a three month period

Bit annoyed about this after I had an emergency appointment with my GP after a severe attack. I decided not to go to A&E and take up a hopsital bed while there are people who need them more urgently than me. I think I did the resposible thing there so it seems wrong that if I'd called an ambulance and added to the pressure on the NHS I would have been allowed to jump the queue. Also as my attack was brought on by a chest infection I shudder to think what Covid might do to my lungs so I'd imagine I am pretty vulnerable. Been really frightened of getting Covid since that little health scare.

Bit mad that asthmatics who use steroid inhalers can still get a free winter flu jab while we're being told we shouldn't be too worried about Covid.

BlodwynPig

Oh, it looks like it is my turn now...happy to offer my space up to you BJ if you shun Eat Out meals.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Chedney Honks

Once they've all already died, the numbers can only go down.