Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:12:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vaccine Progress

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, June 07, 2020, 08:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

The Independent  has published a vaccine story "in association with the UK government" - so I presume the government has basically paid the UK for an advertisement feature which doesn't just promote the people involved in the vaccine rollout but promotes the government as well:

QuoteThousands of people across the UK – from healthcare workers to army reservists – have come together to ensure the country's mammoth vaccine rollout programme can reach those who are most in need.

After becoming the first country to approve a vaccine for use, the UK government has bought hundreds of millions of vaccine doses and distributed them to all parts of the UK.

Today, the country has three authorised vaccines for Covid-19 – Pfizer/BioNTech, Oxford/AstraZeneca and Moderna – and the government's priority is to save as many lives as possible, as quickly as possible, while also reducing the hospitalisations that are creating such pressure on the NHS...

Doesn't feel like the government's priority is to save as many lives as possible, as quickly as possible.

MojoJojo

Just been reading Richard Littlejohn in the Mail (okay, so shoot me) talking of receiving the Oxford jab.  He's not anti-vaccination, by the way, he's very much pro.  He says it gave him a night of trippy hallucinations.  It's made me quite look forward to getting my shot.

Old Thrashbarg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56211755

A little bit of good news amongst the wallowing in misery.

MrMrs

Coronavirus spread slowed by vaccines, study suggests

BTW

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on February 19, 2021, 12:19:35 PM
Just been reading Richard Littlejohn in the Mail (okay, so shoot me) talking of receiving the Oxford jab.  He's not anti-vaccination, by the way, he's very much pro.  He says it gave him a night of trippy hallucinations.  It's made me quite look forward to getting my shot.
Had the Oxford vaccine midday Monday. Started feeling shitty about 5am/17hr later. Sort of flu-like headache, pain in my joints, chills and generally feeling a bit 'off'. Had trouble sleeping, or thought I had trouble sleeping (I think I was just having lucid dreams, so that's probably what Littlecock thought was 'tripping') Right as rain again by 2pm the next day.

JamesTC

I heard it makes your anus fall off.

Bazooka

Quote from: JamesTC on February 26, 2021, 05:37:53 PM
I heard it makes your anus fall off.

What about if that's already happened?

JamesTC

Quote from: Bazooka on February 26, 2021, 06:37:57 PM
What about if that's already happened?

You grow a new one and then the second dose causes it to fall off.

frajer

Quote from: JamesTC on February 26, 2021, 06:56:44 PM
You grow a new one and then the second dose causes it to fall off.

The cruellest thing is how it plays with you like that. Oxford Vaccine Dangles New Anus.

BlodwynPig

Hang on, have they moved on from Group 6? where the fuck is mine!?

JamesTC

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 26, 2021, 07:12:32 PM
Hang on, have they moved on from Group 6? where the fuck is mine!?

You missed your chance.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: JamesTC on February 26, 2021, 07:28:26 PM
You missed your chance.

*goes to red phone box...perfects Irish accent...dials local cop shop...leaves message...travels to Westminster*

Zetetic

"Pilot scheme" with some CCGs to de-prioritise certain individuals, either on the basis of high chronic health and social care costs and or interagency data sharing indicating that they occupy the "pre-crime space".

Early results suggest considerable savings and improved political unity after 3-5 years post-pandemic. "Draft document for discussion purposes only - not government policy", of course.

jobotic

If Littlejohn's had it I really hope it turns gammon men into "shirt-lifters".

He'll be safe to go to the Trump rally on his doorstep now.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on February 26, 2021, 07:44:09 PM
"Pilot scheme" with some CCGs to de-prioritise certain individuals, either on the basis of high chronic health and social care costs and or interagency data sharing indicating that they occupy the "pre-crime space".

Early results suggest considerable savings and improved political unity after 3-5 years post-pandemic. "Draft document for discussion purposes only - not government policy", of course.

why you!

not really looking forward to those side effects, mind

BlodwynPig

I just had a look at the appointment booking and it asked me if my GP had said I'm on the extremely vulnerable list - previously was I front line worker - I said yes as the Diabetic UK page says we have been classified as such. Now I am able to book an appointment but as the GP did not tell me I wonder if this right or I will be turned away at the vaccine centre? Any ideas?

BlodwynPig

just booked it anyway, 2nd dose in June.

Janie Jones

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 04, 2021, 08:43:55 AM
Now I am able to book an appointment but as the GP did not tell me I wonder if this right or I will be turned away at the vaccine centre? Any ideas?

You'll be fine. I'm afraid I know people in their 40s with no underlying health condition who have downright lied and ticked the box online classifying them as them as carers or social care workers and they've got their jab, no questions asked.

I've also heard about people getting vaccinated ad hoc by wandering into the vaccination centre at the end of the day. When I had my jab late one afternoon (my GP invited me, I got it legit) loads of passers by kept asking the volunteer on the door about this but she turned them away saying they had already made provision for no-shows and leftover vaccines.

I'm disappointed that my card with my vaccine details on it is scrappy and handwritten. The person who administered the jab couldn't even read my name in it, it's such a mess. You could knock up a forgery of a blank card with the most rudimentary of photoshop skills and write on it yourself.

Fishfinger

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 04, 2021, 08:43:55 AM
I wonder if this right or I will be turned away at the vaccine centre? Any ideas?

Based on what I saw when I went, they're only interested in whether you have an appointment or not. They'll check your temperature, usher you in then after a few questions about your health you'll get jabbed.

Edit: what Janie said.

BlodwynPig

Thanks both. Glad you are also vaxxed to the maxx.

shiftwork2

It's legit.  The NHS app says you can book if 'clinically vulnerable' (e.g. diabetes) now, not just 'clinically extremely vulnerable' - who should have all been done ages ago, quite frankly.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 04, 2021, 11:48:46 AM
It's legit.  The NHS app says you can book if 'clinically vulnerable' (e.g. diabetes) now, not just 'clinically extremely vulnerable' - who should have all been done ages ago, quite frankly.

but my pre-question was 'extremely', so wonder if its based on stats on who's had it in an area.

shiftwork2

Just turn up and get it done.  Your priority group is now on.  And if you are literally a few days ahead or behind then so what, literally nobody is going to check at this stage.

jobotic

My brother has been given an appointment. He's in his mid-thirties and twelve years younger than me and eight years younger than our sister, who lives round the corner from him.

His GP sent a letter to them saying that he was at moderate risk. He's not sure why. He had cancer years ago but has been clear for twelve years. Can't imagine being coeliac is relevant.

Anyway, I'm pleased. The jammy git.

Blue Jam

Still pretty pissed off about this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56281064

Had a chest infection back in January and for a period of about 24 hours I was really struggling to breathe. This was just a bog-standard bacterial infection, I dread to think what the 'vid would do to my crappy little lungs.

How are you all booking appointments? My GP said I'm "borderline" for group 6 but I assumed I'd be called when it was decided my time had come. The NHS Scotchland app doesn't give you an option to book a vaccination.

Inspector Norse

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/05/covid-vaccines-who-chief-backs-patent-waiver-to-boost-production

QuoteThe normal rules of business that protect the profits of vaccine manufacturers will have to be set aside if that is what it takes to ensure everybody is immunised against the coronavirus, according to the director general of the World Health Organization.

Pretty bloody ludicrous that there's even any debate about this really.

Fambo Number Mive

What is happening with the Johnson and Johnson vaccine in the UK? Are we still waiting for it to be approved?

MojoJojo

They applied for approval in the UK at the end of February, apparently. Since we're already rolling out with other vaccines, I doubt the J&J one will actually get used much in the UK.

bgmnts

https://news.sky.com/story/waterstones-and-amazon-urged-to-add-warning-tags-as-anti-vaccination-book-sales-surge-12234972

Free market though so what can you do?

I enjoyed this:

QuoteOne of the most popular books in that genre is Anyone Who Tells You Vaccines Are Safe And Effective Is Lying, which is also available on Foyles' website.

The author of that book, Vernon Coleman, stridently denies that he is anti-vaccine or that he publishes any medical misinformation, and claims he is publishing truths that are being suppressed.