Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:05:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vaccine Progress

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, June 07, 2020, 08:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pranet

Ah, Dr Vernon Coleman. My parents got the Sunday People. So despite him being a dangerous lunatic, whenever I see his name I get a warm hit of nostalgia.

Endicott

I haven't seen this posted yet, apologies if I missed discussion.

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/02/finland-vaccine-covid-patent-ip

This is disgraceful isn't it? A vaccine available since last May, and for peanuts.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Endicott on March 08, 2021, 05:42:48 PM
I haven't seen this posted yet, apologies if I missed discussion.

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/02/finland-vaccine-covid-patent-ip

This is disgraceful isn't it? A vaccine available since last May, and for peanuts.

The article makes some good points, but the way it tries to imply the finnish vaccine was ready to be deployed and we could all be vaccinated already is shitty. It hadn't gone through the trials, which is the time consuming bit. We don't know if it's safe or effective.

thugler

Are some areas massively ahead of others? My mate who's the same age as me (mid 30's) was contacted to book his jab this week, has no vulnerabilities or conditions whatsoever, while I know people are in the clinically vulnerable range (not extremely) and are 40+ who've not been offered it.

bgmnts

My friend in NYC said people are just going for them as the rollout has been incredibly mismanaged and there are plenty spare I think. She's 37 and fine.

Fuck knows.

Billy

Just to test it out I entered in my NHS number and date of birth to the booking website, it asked me if I was a health worker (and made it clear that if I was I had to bring proof or no vaccine for u) and after clicking 'No' it said sorry, wait your turn mate. I'm 32 and other than a nasty head injury three years ago fairly healthy, so fair enough if I have to wait a few more months.

Currently it's officially for 55 and over, which is a bit of a bugger for my 1967-born father.

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: thugler on March 11, 2021, 11:32:12 AM
Are some areas massively ahead of others? My mate who's the same age as me (mid 30's) was contacted to book his jab this week, has no vulnerabilities or conditions whatsoever, while I know people are in the clinically vulnerable range (not extremely) and are 40+ who've not been offered it.

Pretty much. We had some of our expected deliveries diverted to other CCGs a few weeks ago because we were so far ahead of the national average. And then it also depends on the demographic make up as well. The surgery I work at is quite big, and has a large proportion of elderly patients, so we're behind some other nearby, smaller, GPs who didn't have as many 60+'s to get through.

C_Larence

Quote from: bgmnts on March 11, 2021, 11:35:03 AM
My friend in NYC said people are just going for them as the rollout has been incredibly mismanaged and there are plenty spare I think. She's 37 and fine.

Fuck knows.

Yep, heard the same from Philly. A link spread on social media that wasn't meant to and people of all ages managed to sign up from it. My girlfriend's friend was one of them and had her vaccine yesterday. 26 years old with no underlying conditions.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: thugler on March 11, 2021, 11:32:12 AM

From what I understand, lung health declines from mid 30s so I guess they're just putting everyone 35ish and over up to 50s (when other physical aspects start to decline) together in one big tombola, or whatever they use.

vanilla.coffee

Got my invite to book by text on Wednesday this week (I'm 51 and three quarters)
I had my Morris Oxford/Vauxhall Astra vaccine this afternoon. No dead arm or aching limbs thus far, although I do occasionally feel light headed and a bit disconnected - sort of just starting to feel pissed sort of disconnected.
I'll report back tomorrow on side effects if any or not.

I had mine on Thursday afternoon. Had a few side-effects yesterday - pounding headache, mild fever, temperature far higher than normal for me, aching arm. All cleared up today except for the arm and that's not as painful as it was.  Far better than having covid.

buttgammon

The use of AZ has been suspended in Ireland, but it sounds like they're erring on the side of caution more than anything. The rollout has been so dismally slow here that I doubt it will change anything anyway.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: MrMrs on March 14, 2021, 12:00:58 PM
why suspended?

blood clots in Norway.

1 vaccine death in the US.

Nothing to worry about, I think its statistically normal that some will have complications from vaccines. I am worried about AZ though given its severe lack of rigorous testing.

Zetetic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 14, 2021, 12:05:49 PM
I think its statistically normal that some will have complications from vaccines.
And, more importantly, coincidental problems that are nothing to do with the vaccine. (Which, hopefully, the Norway thing is.)

Particularly since we're vaccinating a whole bunch of people who are chronically unwell or very old and whose expected future lifespans are a matter of months or a few years in a decent number of cases.

JamesTC

I've heard death rates of all the vaccines are estimated to be 100% when measured over a 200 year period. Not bothering now thanks Bill.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: JamesTC on March 14, 2021, 02:02:00 PM
I've heard death rates of all the vaccines are estimated to be 100% when measured over a 200 year period. Not bothering now thanks Bill.

Get vaccinated, but with the best one. Sputnik V.

JamesTC

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 14, 2021, 02:03:47 PM
Get vaccinated, but with the best one. Sputnik V.

Pfft. Tell that to Laika.

buttgammon

Quote from: Zetetic on March 14, 2021, 01:52:22 PM
And, more importantly, coincidental problems that are nothing to do with the vaccine. (Which, hopefully, the Norway thing is.)

Particularly since we're vaccinating a whole bunch of people who are chronically unwell or very old and whose expected future lifespans are a matter of months or a few years in a decent number of cases.

Exactly and to be fair, the expectation in Ireland is that the use of AZ will resume very soon, it's just a matter of being extremely cautious.

poo

The UK has given over 10 million doses of both the Oxford and Pfizer vaccine.

Number of blood clot related events:

Oxford = 13

Pfizer = 15

These numbers are no higher than what is seen in the general population (no increased risk).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: poo on March 14, 2021, 09:56:06 PM

The UK has given over 10 million doses of both the Oxford and Pfizer vaccine.

Number of blood clot related events:

Oxford = 13

Pfizer = 15

These numbers are no higher than what is seen in the general population (no increased risk).

After mine, 14, no doubt.

George Oscar Bluth II

The AstraZeneca reaction from Europe is bananas. Can't get my head around it at all.

Old Thrashbarg

I expect it's more of an Oxford reaction than an Astra Zeneca reaction.

Vitalstatistix

EU having an absolute shocker. Are they going to suspend the vaccine rollout every time someone, amongst the millions of people vaccinated, happens to keel over? How could that possibly outweigh the covid deaths which could be prevented if they didn't pause? With a massive third wave nearly upon them. Utterly absurd. And in a few weeks when they restart they'll be complaining again about low take up and 'vaccine hesitancy'.. Oh, I wonder why?

Cuellar

This EU lot are little slugs, they're little slugs with no personalities, they're just jealous that we're better at everything than them

idunnosomename

wonder how EU Supergirl feels about this

BlodwynPig

Calm down our brave British boys

idunnosomename

i wont be injected with oxford gunk. just fill my veins with good, natural air. can only do me good

MojoJojo

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on March 15, 2021, 05:09:02 PM
EU having an absolute shocker. Are they going to suspend the vaccine rollout every time someone, amongst the millions of people vaccinated, happens to keel over?

It's all a bit weird. I think we have to be aware that the astrazeneca vaccine is the UKs product and the UK press might be down playing the risk because of that.

Other than that, we have the EU countries doing this to spite the UK because they're still pissed about the earlier stuff. Or it's to cover for problems they're having with their vaccine rollout, or a combination of both.

More complicated explanation is its some concern about how the vaccine is delivered. I think I read that there haven't been any blood clots in the UK, despite the vaccine being used more here, so there might be some concern about using different needles or something.

Most likely explantation is just that other countries are just a lot less trusting of the vaccines, and their health authorities feel it necessary to be excessively cautious to avoid a backlash.

JamesTC

Just read that the contraceptive pill has a higher blood clot rate than AstraZeneca.