Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:44:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone know the name of this short film?

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, May 12, 2005, 12:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Passing Turk Slipper

Someone a while ago described a short film they had seen in which someone was being followed by a house. Wherever they went, the house would be there. The person tried to escape to the country, but the house was still there, so they finally decide to see what is inside and as they do the film ends. The film could be different but that's how I remember it. I think this sounds great and I have spent ages googling but with no luck. Can anyone help and tell me the films title or where it could be purchased? Cheers.

followed by a house?!

It just reminds me of that bit in the Brasseye Special where the school is stalking people.

fanny splendid

kjkinky

Is it any of these:

http://www.channel4.com/film/ffchannel/listings.pdf

(list of show times but mentions lots of short films and descriptions)

Edit: Ok ignore this I just finished reading them and nothing sounds remotely like it

Rats

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Tag 26

Haha (moonwalks) hit me

mothman

I miss the original C4 Shooting Gallery. Hours of short films, just tape the whole lot then you could Fast-Forward through the boring ones. That Coriolis Effect was well cool.

Frinky

Sounds brilliant, I'd love to hear about this, too.

Did anyone see that short time travel one with Charles Dance (who really hasn't been in enough films?). I really really enjoyed that one.

Schlippy

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Tag 26
It's "The Cat Came Back", and you know it.

gazzyk1ns

Yeah I was going to post about it in here but then I thought 1. The starter of this thread might not appreciate the hijack, and 2. I've posted about it in another thread before and I can't remember getting any responses, so...

A Passing Turk Slipper

Heh, feel free to hijack as much as you like, I doubt this film even exists. I have a vague memory of someone mentioning how much they enjoyed it when it was shown on Channel 4 and I think it sounds absolutely brilliant. I told a friend about it who also loved the sound of it but he couldn't find any mention of it  anywhere either. It really does seem like this person made the film up or something, has anyone even seen it? Or heard of it anywhere else?

Does anyone remember seeing a film on C4 a few years back (around 15 minutes long) about a man who keeps repeating a day over & over again? Sort of like a businessman's groundhog day.   (He might've been a doctor tho).

There's been some great shorts on C4 over the years which have never been released.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"Does anyone remember seeing a film on C4 a few years back (around 15 minutes long) about a man who keeps repeating a day over & over again? Sort of like a businessman's groundhog day.
Yeh. Does he keep hearing a weird crackling noise, then returns to a traffic island on a busy road, over and over again?

It was around years before GD as it goes. Dunno what it was called though.

Frinky

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Yeah I was going to post about it in here but then I thought 1. The starter of this thread might not appreciate the hijack, and 2. I've posted about it in another thread before and I can't remember getting any responses, so...

You talking to me, Gareth?

If you are, I don't suppose you remember it's title, do you?

Quote from: "Muteki"Yeh. Does he keep hearing a weird crackling noise, then returns to a traffic island on a busy road, over and over again?

That sounds familiar.  It's another set of words to bung into Google.

mothman

It's callled 12:01pm - http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0098962/. Avoid the full-length TV movie remake at all costs.

Wicked thanks!

Lead Kurtwood Smith has been in a barrage of stuff, Star Treks, Robocop, X-Files, Blue Thunder, the A-Team.  Everything.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Frinky"
Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Yeah I was going to post about it in here but then I thought 1. The starter of this thread might not appreciate the hijack, and 2. I've posted about it in another thread before and I can't remember getting any responses, so...

You talking to me, Gareth?

If you are, I don't suppose you remember it's title, do you?

What? No!? What are you on about? I just thought people were rolling their eyes about me starting a separate thread for my Tag 26 thingy, as opposed to putting it in here.

Frinky

I was hoping against hope you were referring to the post of mine before that, and you had seen the film I was talking about, etc.

gazzyk1ns

No such luck I'm afraid, sorry about the confusion and overly startled reaction.

jutl

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Someone a while ago described a short film they had seen in which someone was being followed by a house. Wherever they went, the house would be there. The person tried to escape to the country, but the house was still there, so they finally decide to see what is inside and as they do the film ends. The film could be different but that's how I remember it. I think this sounds great and I have spent ages googling but with no luck. Can anyone help and tell me the films title or where it could be purchased? Cheers.

If it's a tower then I know the film that you mean:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125016/

http://www.luxonline.org.uk/reviews/black_tower.html

Ciarán2

I've a question along this topical line too...

I think it's a Czech film, I saw it in the mid-late 80s and it made an impression on me. About a lonely elderly man who becomes besotted with a teddy bear in a shop but can't afford to buy it, so he keeps going back to look at it each day until one day he sees it being bought buy a woman to please her spoilt brat of a child. It breaks the old man's heart. Really miserable film, but more affecting than I make it sound. Any ideas?

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "jutl"
Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Someone a while ago described a short film they had seen in which someone was being followed by a house. Wherever they went, the house would be there. The person tried to escape to the country, but the house was still there, so they finally decide to see what is inside and as they do the film ends. The film could be different but that's how I remember it. I think this sounds great and I have spent ages googling but with no luck. Can anyone help and tell me the films title or where it could be purchased? Cheers.

If it's a tower then I know the film that you mean:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125016/

http://www.luxonline.org.uk/reviews/black_tower.html
Oh wow. Thanks sooo much jutl! I really was beginning to think I had imagined it. Thanks again.

A Passing Turk Slipper

It doesn't look like you can buy it anywhere annoyingly, oh well. Have you seen it jutl? What's it like, is it any good? And is it at all like the description I gave or did I make half of that up?

mcbpete

Where does one obtain like short films. It's annoying because they are usually the programs that I remember most fondly on TV but I never get round to recording them because they're usually on at pretty obscure times and I never seem to have a tape ready, plus I only ever think to record them about 10 minutes in which is usually too late.

3 Short Films I'd love to obtain:

Burn your phone [or telephone, maybe ?] (Was on a few years back about someone who worked at the telephone exchange and kept getting prank calls)

A Cartoon by the National Film Boards Of Canada called something like "2D or not 2D" where they played around with a 2d representation of 3d space or something like that.

Some foreign film a couple years back called something like 'Music for five musicians and a flat' where a group of people broke into a house and each scene they'd go into a different room of the house and play objects like turning the kettle on and off, opening cupboards etc. to make a percussive musical piece. Was much better that how I've described it :)

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "Ciarán"I think it's a Czech film, I saw it in the mid-late 80s and it made an impression on me. About a lonely elderly man who becomes besotted with a teddy bear in a shop but can't afford to buy it, so he keeps going back to look at it each day until one day he sees it being bought buy a woman to please her spoilt brat of a child. It breaks the old man's heart. Really miserable film, but more affecting than I make it sound. Any ideas?

Does it say something bad about my ability to appreciate art that I find films like that too depressing to watch? Films which are relentlessly depressing just seem too hard to endure.

jutl

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"It doesn't look like you can buy it anywhere annoyingly, oh well. Have you seen it jutl? What's it like, is it any good? And is it at all like the description I gave or did I make half of that up?

If it's the same one then yes, I saw it on C4 probably around when it came out. It made quite an impression on me at the time, which is why I've remembered it. Having said that all I can really remember now is the repeated and menacing appearance of the tower in various locations and the fact that it had a monologue voice-over explaining the action (I think). Why don't you sign up to the trial of imdb pro, get the director's agent's address and ask how you can get hold of a copy for personal viewing?

mothman

One film I'd like to get hold of is The Beast (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0195543/) about an intelligent ape. Brilliant end theme by Simon Boswell on that.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "jutl"
If it's the same one then yes, I saw it on C4 probably around when it came out. It made quite an impression on me at the time, which is why I've remembered it. Having said that all I can really remember now is the repeated and menacing appearance of the tower in various locations and the fact that it had a monologue voice-over explaining the action (I think). Why don't you sign up to the trial of imdb pro, get the director's agent's address and ask how you can get hold of a copy for personal viewing?
I may do that, thanks for the info.

El Unicornio, mang

Does anyone know the name of a short film that was shown on Channel 4 a few years ago which was set in an elevator and had this one guy who looked like a Reservoir Dog, covered in blood, acting all crazy. I think it was Canadian.

Suttonpubcrawl

On the subject of short films, I remember being allowed to watch that one with the telephone box which the man gets locked in when I was young. What the fuck were my parents thinking?