Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:47:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Blocked Internet Access on some sites

Started by Puce Moment, June 08, 2020, 06:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

I have been grappling with these issues for what seems like weeks now. Whilst I was trying to get my PC to run eMule properly I think I have ended up buggering with my proxy/DNS/ports settings. I ended up switching over to Soulseek anyway, so I really want everything back the way it was.

Some websites are not accessible for me anymore (including BBC iplayer) as I get the standard:

QuoteYour Internet access is blocked
Firewall or antivirus software may have blocked the connection.
Try:
Checking the connection
Checking firewall and antivirus configurations
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED
Check your Internet connection
Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems or other network devices you may be using.
Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.
If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.

I have run through quite a number of youtube tutorials to sort this out, including runnning cmd as admin to try and reset my settings. Nothing works so far.

In an annoying twist my Logi bluetooth speakers are now incapable of being paired with my PC after a year of flawless service. I assume the two problems are related somehow.

Have I broken my PC?

BlodwynPig

Uncle TechTip

Have you got any anti virus software installed? Can you remove it for a while? Soulseek is pretty safe and you could rely on the built in Windows 10 AV.

Puce Moment

I removed AVG completely but it's still not working. May have to simply pay someone to fix it even though I am pretty sure it is a box that needs to be ticked/unticked. Not that the Troubleshooters know this.

Uncle TechTip

Well unless you are running av you shouldn't need a proxy set, so check these settings via internet explorer. Also try to ping some of the addresses you couldn't access at command line eg ping www.bbc.co.uk and see if it returns a number or says host not found. Also type nslookup and report the dns server it says it is using.

JesusAndYourBush

Do a system restore.  (Assuming you have a restore point for a date before you messed with things.)
It won't tell you what happened (and therefore how to avoid it in future), but it will probably fix it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 09, 2020, 05:16:28 PM
Do a system restore.  (Assuming you have a restore point for a date before you messed with things.)
It won't tell you what happened (and therefore how to avoid it in future), but it will probably fix it.

Agreed.  If this doesn't work, you could always go for a clean install - one or both should reset your proxy setting to normal, assuming that's where the problem is.

Puce Moment

I don't have a restore point so I honestly think I'm just going to carry on not being able to access some sites. It appears to be completely random, from what I can see. Most sites are fine, but about 25% or so go to generic 'cannot connect' pages. This probably fucks with my ability to use my wireless printer as well, but this box I must tick or untick remains frustratingly elusive.

JesusAndYourBush

Have you tried Uncle TechTip's suggestion?
Open a command prompt and type ping www.site.com
(replace 'site' with the name of a site you can't connect to.  Have a few attempts with several of the sites.)

If the ping is successful It'll ping the site 4 times telling you how many milliseconds it took.  If it fails it'll time out.
Depending on the result, it might help where to go next.

Also typing nslookup will tell you if you're using your own isp's dns server or if this has been changed surreptitiously to something less reliable.

Puce Moment

Hey guys, appreciate the perseverance. So I can get to the bbc page with no problem, but not ther iplayer page. Here are the results:

Quoteping www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

Ping request could not find host www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/. Please check the name and try again.

Quoteping www.bbc.co.uk

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.237.251] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.237.251: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=53
Reply from 212.58.237.251: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=53
Reply from 212.58.237.251: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=53
Reply from 212.58.237.251: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 212.58.237.251:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 27ms, Average = 14ms

The nslookup has given me an address but I really don't know what it means.

JesusAndYourBush

I just tried it myself, I get the same results myself because you can only ping the top level domain.

Can you view other pages on the BBC site?  If other pages are ok but just not iplayer pages, then that is odd.

As for nslookup, the default server might have the name of your isp in it, although that won't always be the case.

JesusAndYourBush

If you can view other BBC pages ok, then look in your hosts file.
It should be in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
A file called hosts with no file extension.

Open it in notepad (or any other text editor) and see what's in there.
Antivirus progs sometimes add stuff in there for your own protection so don't worry if there's a lot of stuff in there, but do a ctrl-f (find) and see if there are any entries for bbc.

Puce Moment

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 11, 2020, 02:25:22 PM
I just tried it myself, I get the same results myself because you can only ping the top level domain.

Can you view other pages on the BBC site?  If other pages are ok but just not iplayer pages, then that is odd.

As for nslookup, the default server might have the name of your isp in it, although that won't always be the case.

I tried with some sites that I know have been doing this. So, google.co.uk was doing this and then I pinged it and now it is fine. Not sure how that happens.

Then I pinged avclub:

C:\Users\> ping www.avclub.com

Pinging avclub.com [151.101.66.166] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 151.101.66.166: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=57
Reply from 151.101.66.166: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 151.101.66.166:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 17ms, Average = 14ms

avclub defnitely will not connect.

Puce Moment

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 11, 2020, 02:30:06 PM
If you can view other BBC pages ok, then look in your hosts file.
It should be in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
A file called hosts with no file extension.

Open it in notepad (or any other text editor) and see what's in there.
Antivirus progs sometimes add stuff in there for your own protection so don't worry if there's a lot of stuff in there, but do a ctrl-f (find) and see if there are any entries for bbc.

Quote# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#   127.0.0.1       localhost
#   ::1             localhost

I don't have a danny.

JesusAndYourBush

If that's all that's in your hosts file then that's not the problem.  (The hosts file can be used to block a domain, or even redirect it.)

Presumably you've tried an incognito window on your browser to see if sites behave the same there?

buzby

If it's ok on bbc.co.uk pages, but not on iplayer, then is sounds like the a firewall or antivirus is blocking pages that want to run java extensions.

Uncle TechTip

Go through services from start menu  and see if any element of AVG was left behind. Also I'm sure they have manual removal instructions, you could follow them to pick up any components that didn't uninstall.

Wilbur

There is an AVG removal tool on their web site

https://www.avg.com/en-gb/avg-remover

It usually does a pretty good job of removing the awful mess AVG invariably creates.

(edited for clarity)

Puce Moment

Thanks all - it is much appreciated. I have used the AVG tool to remove all traces of it. I have completely turned off Windows Defender and Firewall. So now my PC has absolutely zero defence from anything, yet the same thing is still happening.

It's also so random - from what I can see. Twitter works fine, Netflix will not connect.

One thing I just tried to test - I turned my Nord VPN on and I can connect to the sites ok, albeit more slowly. I guess I could just keep VPN running.

Wilbur

OK looks like its your dns then.  What are your DNS settings ? Try changing them to Googles. 8.8.8.8 and  8.8.4.4

Puce Moment

Thanks Wilbur. So, I'm going into the Network and Sharing Centre, double-clicking Ethernet, and then I am going into the IPv4 and IPv6 properties which are completely blank.

Also, in the Ethernet Status area, IPv4 connectivity is listed as 'Internet' and IPv6 is listed as 'No Internet access'. I have no idea if this is normal.

I inserted that dns setting into IPv4 but there is no change.

Wilbur

Ignore IPV6

Can you go to a command prompt or powershell and type in ipconfig /all and see what that returns for your DNS ?

Puce Moment

Hey Wilbur, thanks for persevering!

So, here is what I get:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-JFK71B1
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Unknown adapter NordLynx:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NordLynx Tunnel
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 6C-4B-90-0B-75-73
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b09f:d14c:f98f:b365%5(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.90(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 12 June 2020 15:23:34
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 14 June 2020 13:50:23
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 57428880
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-20-D5-20-BE-6C-4B-90-0B-75-73
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::66cc:22ff:fee9:799c%5
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :
                                       home

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter V9
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-9E-91-69-24

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 36-F6-4B-80-1B-AA
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 4:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #4
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 34-F6-4B-80-1B-AB

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 34-F6-4B-80-1B-AE

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 34-F6-4B-80-1B-AA

Wilbur

Looks like there is something a bit weird going on there . Its almost as if its been set up as a domain machine.  Connection-specific DNS Suffix I'd not expect to see there nor the IPV6 entries and there is a mac address sitting at the top of the DNS list. You didn't set it up as a works machine did you perchance ?

I'd be inclined to delete the network device in the device manager and re-install it. DONT delete the drivers though or you'll end up with no connection at all.

Puce Moment

Hey Wilbur - I don't know which network device to re-install out of the 13 listed in 'Network adapters'

Wilbur

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 14, 2020, 05:46:23 PM
Hey Wilbur - I don't know which network device to re-install out of the 13 listed in 'Network adapters'

Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller

this one.

If that makes no difference then I 'd probably look to remove the VPN client as that's whats changing your DNS settings I'd think. It may be worth talking to their tech team.

Puce Moment

Thanks fella, I appreciate it. Nothing is fixing this damn thing, and I have contacted support from the VPN support team at work!

But I think at the moment I will just be running this with VPN on so I can access sites until I can get someone out to look at it. Madness.

Uncle TechTip

Clearly it's the vpn that is altering settings so that when it's on, things work. I'm sure it's at a sweet spot now but unless i desperately needed it I'd be removing nord.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on June 15, 2020, 05:25:50 PMClearly it's the vpn that is altering settings so that when it's on, things work. I'm sure it's at a sweet spot now but unless i desperately needed it I'd be removing nord.

Going to try it now!

Edit: Well that seems to have worked in terms of accessing sites! Thank you!

I still cannot connect to my bluetooth speakers but at this point beggars can't be choosers!