Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:27:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sitting in Limbo (Windrush scandal drama)

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, June 08, 2020, 08:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

This intensely angering standalone drama arrives tonight, with perfect timing, on BBC One. At 8:30pm to be exact. I hope it attracts massive viewing figures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52743684

QuoteAnthony Bryan had lived and worked in Britain for 50 years when he was suddenly detained and almost deported. His brother has now told his story in a feature-length TV drama that brings home the impact of the Windrush scandal.

Anthony Bryan's story has been told in newspaper articles and a TV documentary and at a damning House of Commons hearing - but a TV drama has the power to really plunge you into a person's life.

In BBC One's Sitting In Limbo, we follow Bryan, a painter-decorator who had never been in trouble with the law, as he is told he can no longer work, before being arrested in his London home, detained for five weeks and booked on a plane to Jamaica, a country he hadn't visited since 1965, when he was eight.

Patrick Robinson, who plays Bryan, says: "When I read the script, I was in tears easily halfway through and blubbing at the end, knowing that I wanted to be involved in this piece, because it made me feel."

Bryan was one of many people to be caught up in the Windrush scandal - people who had moved from the Caribbean to the UK, mostly as children, and became collateral damage as the government created a "hostile environment" towards immigration.