Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:13:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grounded: new Louis Theroux podcast

Started by Ferris, June 08, 2020, 08:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Really enjoying these - the Lenny Henry one was excellent. He's a very thoughtful and interesting person, and it was a very nice chat. Same for the Ronson ep.

Rather than throw it in the generic thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Ta for the reminder, I'd forgotten about these. His chat with Jon Ronson was very candid and interesting.

ASFTSN

Anyone listened to the KSI one? I know nothing about "Youtubers" and had to look him up, was quite surprised to see this seemingly thoughtful, carefully spoken interviewee was the same guy I remembered acting like a dickhead and being sexually inappropriate for the LOLS in a gaming convention video.

It's a pretty fascinating look from Theroux about this totally alien (to me) culture of Youtube celebrity and the sort of person that does well in it - in this case the "nerdy" son of working class Nigerian parents who sent him to private school who went on to become an internet celebrity, rapper and boxer in youtube beef matches, something else I didn't know happened.

Probably one of the only instances I've seen of this type of celebrity being explained to old gets like me...I'd quite like to see Theroux give it the TV treatment.   

thugler

Quote from: ASFTSN on June 09, 2020, 11:25:23 AM
Anyone listened to the KSI one? I know nothing about "Youtubers" and had to look him up, was quite surprised to see this seemingly thoughtful, carefully spoken interviewee was the same guy I remembered acting like a dickhead and being sexually inappropriate for the LOLS in a gaming convention video.

It's a pretty fascinating look from Theroux about this totally alien (to me) culture of Youtube celebrity and the sort of person that does well in it - in this case the "nerdy" son of working class Nigerian parents who sent him to private school who went on to become an internet celebrity, rapper and boxer in youtube beef matches, something else I didn't know happened.

Probably one of the only instances I've seen of this type of celebrity being explained to old gets like me...I'd quite like to see Theroux give it the TV treatment.

Actually I thought Theroux absolutely had his number. Frequently embarrassed him and saw through his bravado, made him dwell on stupid stuff he'd done. Credit to him for admitting his faults and seeming somewhat contrite however.

The Lenny Henry one for me was stuff I'd heard all before on that big interview/tv docco he did. Also he just went on with his usual stories and there was less room for Theroux to get a word in. Also the Bonham Carter one was only mildly diverting.

Surprised how interesting I found the Rose McGowan one, as I had basically no idea who she was. Long may these continue, I think Louis is a super charming interviewer who puts his guests at ease immediately, while being able to drop in a difficult question or lead his guest to the place he wants to go.

ASFTSN

Quote from: thugler on June 09, 2020, 12:12:55 PM
Actually I thought Theroux absolutely had his number. Frequently embarrassed him and saw through his bravado, made him dwell on stupid stuff he'd done. Credit to him for admitting his faults and seeming somewhat contrite however.

Oh for sure! I guess I was just surprised to hear a Dumpghost type talk about this stuff supposedly sincerely. Also the way Theroux talked about his supposed book 'I Am A Bellend' cracked me up. "Tell me you've read it..."

bgmnts

Can I ask a thick question and ask if this is actually a podcast? It's on the radio. Isn't it a radio show?

Also fuck me this guy's accent is incredible.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: bgmnts on June 09, 2020, 01:05:12 PM
Can I ask a thick question and ask if this is actually a podcast? It's on the radio. Isn't it a radio show?

It's not on the radio. Not that they won't appear at some point, probably, but for now they're just available as podcasts through BBC Sounds.

Bad Ambassador

It is on the radio. They were on Radio 4.

Old Thrashbarg

Well, there we go. No idea how I missed that. Looks as though they started broadcasting them in May, with the Rose McGowan episode on last week.

Tony Tony Tony

Just listened to the Miriam Margolyes one. Feck me she is as filthy as she is forthright and also funny. She strikes as the sort of woman you would not  like to get on the wrong side of though her tale about wanking off a soldier in Edinburgh had me howling. I cannot see this one airing on Radio four.

Schnapple

Quote from: thugler on June 09, 2020, 12:12:55 PM
Surprised how interesting I found the Rose McGowan one, as I had basically no idea who she was. Long may these continue, I think Louis is a super charming interviewer who puts his guests at ease immediately, while being able to drop in a difficult question or lead his guest to the place he wants to go.

Louis asking McGowan if she perhaps suffered from "black and white thinking" as a side-effect of her cult upbringing really made me gasp. Not only because it was so bold to ask a rape victim following a five minute rant against an entire industry, but because it was a really good observation, too.

bgmnts

Indeed, she also mentioned that she still was under the sway of the behaviour modification long after she left, without even realising.

Thomas

I'd recommend Louis' recent appearance on The Adam Buxton Podcast to complement this new series. He discusses the podcast, and examines bits he thinks he might have got wrong. It's also absolutely hilarious, as it always is when he and Adam get together.

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 09, 2020, 10:17:50 PM
Just listened to the Miriam Margolyes one. Feck me she is as filthy as she is forthright and also funny.

I'm twelve minutes into this episode and I've already been slightly stunned. A refreshing and powerful frankness of language.

I'd love for Chris Morris emerge from radio silence again, and dip his toe back into the pool of very funny private school podcasters.

buntyman

My favourite bit of the Rose Mcgowan one was Louis labouring his lame jokes about Denny's and I think some British celebrity that she wouldn't have heard of. It got short shrift but he wasn't perturbed.

As an interviewee I thought Boy George was the best. Open and candid but still thoughtful and not just reciting the same sort of stuff you'd hear the guests say on any other podcast. I quite enjoyed the KSI one too for the reasons mentioned above.

Yeah, Boy George is always good value. I bailed on the Helena Bonham Carter one pretty early, bored the arse off me. Is it worth persevering with that one or does it just carry on in the same fashion?

Thomas

The Boy George one was good, but for one glaring omission  - though perhaps an episode of When Louis Met... would have been a more suitable medium for addressing the chained-to-a-radiator episode, rather than a casual, friendly podchat.

I didn't bother with Bonham Carter. I'm not really interested in what she reckons about things.

Margolyes did some of the dubbed voices on The Water Margin and Monkey.

Ferris

Did I see the latest one was Troy Deeney?!

EOLAN

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 15, 2020, 11:19:03 PM
Did I see the latest one was Troy Deeney?!

Yep. Thought it was quite good. All up for what appeared to me to be a frank and open discussion. Theroux seemed to be trying to squirm away his round to delve into details and Deeny was like - "Yeah, I am totally talking about that", with one or two exceptions.

Nice bit of owning on Matt Hancock as well.

Also; he actually seemed to be quite nice about Aston Villa in it.

phes

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on June 12, 2020, 09:32:03 AM
Yeah, Boy George is always good value. I bailed on the Helena Bonham Carter one pretty early, bored the arse off me. Is it worth persevering with that one or does it just carry on in the same fashion?

I don't recall it becoming interesting at any point and only made it through on account of my phone being packed away in my backpack

Ferris

I really enjoyed the Troy Deeney one, strangely enough. Seems a nice chap, and very open and interesting. Would love him to stop scoring against Villa though.

Sort of given up halfway through Rose McGowan, and I'm another person who has no interest in anything Helena bonham-carter has to say. That leaves KSI and Boy George - for all the talk of being searingly honest, the latter has always denied he lived in Walsall for 2 years. Some secrets are just too shameful I suppose.

Sin Agog

God, if listening to my shielding mum shout on Zoom for the last four months wasn't hard enough, now I've got to listen to Boy George doing the exact same thing.  It's like when a builder forgets he has ear defenders on and asks you for a lighter, only for people in neighbouring counties to whip out their zippos for no one.

Retinend

Funny to hear echos of his childhood friends, Adam Buxton/Joe Cornish, in the Helena Bonham Carter episode: "flippin' heck, tucker!" - he even drew attention to it after saying it.

I'm not sure what I think about the American accent he puts on as a joke. It's a really good accent, but it's surprising to hear him do something so extravert.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Have you heard him on the Buxton podcast? He's always daft and funny on that. He has a very powerful falsetto, our Louis.

Retinend

Yes! That was my first taste of this Louis and this is my second.

Retinend

Ferris

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 18, 2020, 07:57:05 PM
Have you heard him on the Buxton podcast? He's always daft and funny on that. He has a very powerful falsetto, our Louis.

Oh yes sir, I can boogie!

jsgibble

Found these quite relaxing, I hope he does more.

Ferris

Quote from: jsgibble on August 11, 2020, 01:08:10 PM
Found these quite relaxing, I hope he does more.

He said he wants to do more of 'em so we'll see. They don't take a lot of production so hopefully sooner rather than later