Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:48:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grounded: new Louis Theroux podcast

Started by Ferris, June 08, 2020, 08:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: AllisonSays on December 29, 2020, 06:07:42 PM
I've got no issue with him politically and think he speaks well about politics, but there was a bit of a guru-ish, self-satisfied affect to the way he talked about comedy with Louis which I found really irritating.

I agree: the Seinfeld effect. Boyle does have a very soothing voice, though. He could make a mint from releasing relaxation tapes.

The Ruby Wax episode is so much better, one of the best so far. It's all a bit awkward at first, as Louis bites the bullet and asks Ruby about her recent comments on the Adam Buxton podcast (in a nutshell, she resented Louis for stealing her crown). But she's commendably honest, it's a really interesting chat. Unlike Boyle, there's no whiff of bullshit surrounding Ruby Wax. I like her.

Sin Agog

Those old interviews of hers are really fun (can't quite go so far as to call them docs), and the ones she's hard on herself about, namely the Madonna and Trump ones, are much better than she gives herself credit for.  She was such a quick, disarming comedic presence in her time.  I'd say therapy and age may have softened some of her more abrasive edges that made her so fun to watch, but she shouldn't feel bad about her career.  When she clicked with her guests, particularly the more grand guignol, self-satirising types like Burt Reynolds and Goldie Hawn, they were brilliant.  Hawn brought up a really horrific, Weinstein-esque moment while in bed with Wax.  Anyone have any idea where I can catch that Cosby one?

AllisonSays

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 29, 2020, 06:28:03 PM
I agree: the Seinfeld effect. Boyle does have a very soothing voice, though. He could make a mint from releasing relaxation tapes.

The Ruby Wax episode is so much better, one of the best so far. It's all a bit awkward at first, as Louis bites the bullet and asks Ruby about her recent comments on the Adam Buxton podcast (in a nutshell, she resented Louis for stealing her crown). But she's commendably honest, it's a really interesting chat. Unlike Boyle, there's no whiff of bullshit surrounding Ruby Wax. I like her.

The Seinfeld effect is totally right, haha! And you're right on the Wax one, thanks for pointing me in that direction because I'd never have listened to it without that encouragement. It's a really good comparison to the other one I think in that you get a real sense of someone thinking and talking seriously about how they feel, rather than a spiel.

phes

Wax one was ace, fascinating and entertaining in so many ways. Absolutely essential listening for any geeky comedy family-tree fans.  First Theroux/Buxton episode I've not turned off halfway through in about half a dozen episodes. Boyle was tedious by comparison

Retinend

I just caught up with the Frankie Boyle episode. He is a lot more soft-spoken and introverted ("I don't know many comics, socially") that I expected him to be, considering his fierce reputation. It was nicely surprising to hear him call PG Woodhouse the "driving engine of British satire - everything has that sort of circumlocution and wordiness[nb]... maybe so that the plebs don't know what we're talking about", he quips, and concludes "sometimes comedy brings out the worst in people... so he's a little torn about his affection for Jeeves and Wooster, clearly[/nb] " because I would never imagine Boyle having any time for that sort of gentle, good-natured humour, since his sense of humour is more like the blunt, unpretentious humour of the Irish - presumably inherited from his Irish parents.

LINK: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08ybt8d - sometime around 30 minutes, I lost the exact timestamp

(he mentions Gervais on trans people at 28 minutes)