Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:03:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"The Summer of Gaming"

Started by Kelvin, June 09, 2020, 02:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

After years of people predicting that E3 was going to die because it was unpopular and out of touch, the pandemic nailed down the coffin lid, and we've instead been left with this complete and utter mess; IGN's Summer of Gaming, Geoff Keighley's near identical Summer Game Fest, and then a bunch of unaffiliated events like the Playstation and X-Box events, Ubisoft, multiple "Dev showcases"...

How is this better than E3? One week of densely packed, heavily-hyped game announcements that most people watch as part of the week's overall excitement vs months of events and reveals that only only appeal to existing fans? Yes, the Pandemic has tied their hands this year, but is this really what they were aspiring to? Is this really better than a dedicated week of excitement and attention?

I dunno. Who really cares whether it's better for the companies. Purely as a fan of gaming, I just can't get excited about this slow roll-out. But are any of you lot looking forward to anything on that list? Or more importantly, is anyone going to watch anything other than the Sony and Microsoft events? 

Kelvin

Also, I just want to add how much I dislike this self-important prick:

I really hope he mixes up the MP4s, and the reveal for Hideo Kojima's next game accidentally features Keighley having a wank with a finger in his mouth.   

Sheffield Wednesday

Totally agree. Replace E3 flab with Direct-style game showcases and I'm happy. All killer approach, yeah. This AIDS carousel can get fucked. The only good thing is that I don't see 'Game Over Greggy' anywhere there which is fantastic news.

Kelvin

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on June 09, 2020, 05:42:52 AM
The only good thing is that I don't see 'Game Over Greggy' anywhere there which is fantastic news.

He's involved in one of the Indie showcases, I wouldn't be surprised if he's fronting it.

evilcommiedictator

Can't wait for the "Mel Gibson picture/Tom Cruise shirtless volleyball" event, I'm sure it's a DOA beach volleyball game announcement?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on June 09, 2020, 10:26:14 AM
Can't wait for the "Mel Gibson picture/Tom Cruise shirtless volleyball" event, I'm sure it's a DOA beach volleyball game announcement?

Yea what the fuck is this? Mel Gibson to. Cruise dating sin?

Fry

My completely uneducated opinion is that it seems worse marketing wise too. That one week blitz of e3, with everyone watching the big announcements in real time, coming up with memes and live tweeting hot takes and convention fails seems more effective for getting people to pay attention to the shit they're hawking. The slow drop off stuff over the summer, removing the big event around game releases, just makes it all less enjoyable.

Thursday

Are some of these things even part of "The Summer of Gaming" Destiny 2's expansion announcement the other day for instance is just something Bungie would always do around this time, no attachment to Geoff Keighley.  He's just writing his name under someone else's work.

Sheffield Wednesday

Summer of Cunting About In A Morgue

e3recap are still doing their thing - https://2020.e3recap.com/
You can filter by platform and watch the trailers you're interested in.

The devolver directs are usually good fun and this years is online now - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN2dcsx7mJA

Doesn't look like they've got much worth showing this year, but you can preorder Serious Sam 4 if you want - https://store.steampowered.com/app/257420/Serious_Sam_4/

Chedney Honks

Carrion looks like an interesting take on Butcher, from a couple of years ago. Instead of a 2D Doom clone, you're a sack of eldritch filth sloshing your way through some industrial nightmare, painting its decaying structures with entrails.

Seems like a metaphor for sumthin but I dunno wot.

Hen night, probably.
I see things like that and I just can't work out how it'd translate into a fun game. A lack of imagination on my part, I'm sure. Is it like a stealth/puzzle game?
I suppose I could download the demo.
You know what? I'm gonna do just that. Why not.

Chedney Honks

Did you ever play Butcher? I have a feeling you might quite like it even if it's kind of twin sticky. I'm guessing Carrion will feel like that, starts a bit cautious and then total bedlam.

I've played the demo for 8 minutes according to steam.
I vaguely remember there being something about it that I wasn't prepared to put up with. Too dark maybe. Maybe the mouse controls were gash.
I'll have to give it another go.

Sheffield Wednesday

It is pretty dark and grimy. I played it with twin stick but I can imagine mouse being decent enough. I'm not raving about it but I enjoyed the five or so hours it took me to complete it (over about three months).

Zetetic

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on July 12, 2020, 04:40:57 AM
The devolver directs are usually good fun and this years is online now - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN2dcsx7mJA

Doesn't look like they've got much worth showing this year, but you can preorder Serious Sam 4 if you want - https://store.steampowered.com/app/257420/Serious_Sam_4/
I doubt it's in the video, but the Disc Room Demo is quite fun.

Ah, it was the overdone screenshake going off every time you shot a bullet. I can't be doing with that. Maybe it's OK sat back with a pad but I'd rather aim with the mouse in that game, I think.
There's something weird about the scrolling in that game too, it's running at 60fps but the scrolling feels like it's at 30. Again, probably not an issue if you're sat back with a pad. The constant shaking and jerkiness and having to squint at the tiny sprites, it just all added up and I didn't think it was worth persevering.
Shame because it's fun.
I'll leave it installed and try it with a pad tomorrow, see if I can cope.

edit: Ew, aim locking?! I may as well watch the bloody thing play it's self. That's pad out of the question. Such a shame because the combat was pretty fun, couple of tweaks and it'd be smashing. Turn the lights on, get rid of the shaking.

Quote from: Zetetic on July 12, 2020, 09:44:24 PM
I doubt it's in the video, but the Disc Room Demo is quite fun.

Thanks, man. I'll give that a try!