Author Topic: "The Summer of Gaming"  (Read 723 times)

Kelvin

• The best bits of a pantomime horse
  • Silver Member
  • With skin the colour of a freshly peeled apple
"The Summer of Gaming"
« on: June 09, 2020, 02:14:08 AM »
After years of people predicting that E3 was going to die because it was unpopular and out of touch, the pandemic nailed down the coffin lid, and we've instead been left with this complete and utter mess; IGN's Summer of Gaming, Geoff Keighley's near identical Summer Game Fest, and then a bunch of unaffiliated events like the Playstation and X-Box events, Ubisoft, multiple "Dev showcases"...

How is this better than E3? One week of densely packed, heavily-hyped game announcements that most people watch as part of the week's overall excitement vs months of events and reveals that only only appeal to existing fans? Yes, the Pandemic has tied their hands this year, but is this really what they were aspiring to? Is this really better than a dedicated week of excitement and attention?

I dunno. Who really cares whether it's better for the companies. Purely as a fan of gaming, I just can't get excited about this slow roll-out. But are any of you lot looking forward to anything on that list? Or more importantly, is anyone going to watch anything other than the Sony and Microsoft events? 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 02:29:41 AM by Kelvin »

Kelvin

• Silver Member
Re: "The Summer of Gaming"
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 02:22:23 AM »
Also, I just want to add how much I dislike this self-important prick:

I really hope he mixes up the MP4s, and the reveal for Hideo Kojima's next game accidentally features Keighley having a wank with a finger in his mouth.   

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 05:42:52 AM »
Totally agree. Replace E3 flab with Direct-style game showcases and I'm happy. All killer approach, yeah. This AIDS carousel can get fucked. The only good thing is that I don't see 'Game Over Greggy' anywhere there which is fantastic news.

Kelvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 07:34:56 AM »
The only good thing is that I don't see 'Game Over Greggy' anywhere there which is fantastic news.

He's involved in one of the Indie showcases, I wouldn't be surprised if he's fronting it.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 10:26:14 AM »
Can't wait for the "Mel Gibson picture/Tom Cruise shirtless volleyball" event, I'm sure it's a DOA beach volleyball game announcement?

PlanktonSideburns

• time takes its toll, but not on the eel dicks
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 10:36:12 AM »
Can't wait for the "Mel Gibson picture/Tom Cruise shirtless volleyball" event, I'm sure it's a DOA beach volleyball game announcement?

Yea what the fuck is this? Mel Gibson to. Cruise dating sin?

Fry

• BIG UNIT
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 08:32:59 AM »
My completely uneducated opinion is that it seems worse marketing wise too. That one week blitz of e3, with everyone watching the big announcements in real time, coming up with memes and live tweeting hot takes and convention fails seems more effective for getting people to pay attention to the shit they're hawking. The slow drop off stuff over the summer, removing the big event around game releases, just makes it all less enjoyable.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 09:30:37 AM »
Are some of these things even part of "The Summer of Gaming" Destiny 2's expansion announcement the other day for instance is just something Bungie would always do around this time, no attachment to Geoff Keighley.  He's just writing his name under someone else's work.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 09:42:55 AM by Thursday »

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 05:31:32 PM »

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 05:38:20 PM »
Summer of Cunting About In A Morgue

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 01:22:32 PM »
e3recap are still doing their thing - https://2020.e3recap.com/
You can filter by platform and watch the trailers you're interested in.

Tags: