Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:03:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Books for kids

Started by Ferris, June 09, 2020, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Mr. Men and Little Miss.

Don't buy the individual books as it'll cost you a fortune to collect them all at £4 a pop. Keep an eye out for the box sets instead as they often turn up in Aldi/Lidl and on The Book People for about £20 each. That's a lot of stories for your money.

Black Ship

I may have mentioned it before, but if you like Coraline, "The Thief of Always" by Clive Barker is pretty good.

jobotic

Quote from: Twit 2 on June 11, 2020, 07:16:21 AM
MR GUM

YES.

Alan Taylor, the obscenely rich gingerbread man with electric muscles.

I can'r remember which one it is but Polly has to go somewhere and can't because she is hypnotised (I think) and the same bit repeats over and over. We were both in hysterics!

holyzombiejesus

I've got a 3 year old.

Flying Eye books do some really nice stuff although lots of it is a bit Hebden Bridge. These ones have gone down well in our house...

Some of Britta Teckentrup's books are well worth a look too. I really really like her illustrations, some of the best I've seen in children's books. Again, some of them can be a bit mung bean but that's preferable to some of the horrible shit that is out there.

https://www.brittateckentrup.com/

Twit 2

WILD ANIMALS OF THE NORTH BY DIETER BRAUN
WILD ANIMALS OF THE SOUTH BY DIETER BRAUN

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27134686-wild-animals-of-the-north

Twit 2

Ferris

Quote from: Twit 2 on June 15, 2020, 07:15:48 AM
This is your life?

Michael Aspel/Kilroy crossover "quietly axed"

Ferris

My mum went us the full (?) back catalogue of Emily Gravett books and they're very good.

We like Cyril the Squirrel the best or whatever it's called, the dog one ("Dogs") and the apple pear bear book.

Spoiler: but everyone says Cyril can't be friends with his friend Pat because Pat is a rat, but they decide to be friends anyway even though they are different. If you think about it, there's a message there, isn't there? Hmm? Anyway, it's good.

Brian Freeze

The World of Happy books by Giles Andreae were very popular with ours. Short, sweet and beautifully daft. A set of all of them shouldn't be too pricey either.

I had to look up his surname and had no idea he was Purple Ronnie and is Edward Monckton among other things.

On a not recommended note - someone gave us the Flanimals books as hand me downs. Bloody hell. We hate them but the kids loved them. Almost worth it for the half hour my mum tried to read one to them and the anger and confusion in her face was very real and tangible.

Twit 2

My daughter (9) loves Katherine Rundell: Rooftoppers, Wolf Wilder, The Explorer. Also loves the Mr Gum books, which are hilarious. I can also recommend Abi Elphinstone and Emma Carroll for this age group. The Cog Heart books are a good steam-punk romp.

One of my favourite kids books of recent years is Blackberry Blue by Jamila Gavin, which contains some incredibly well written modern fairy tales. Properly dark in places (The Purple Lady is like a Ligotti story) and just lovingly and beautifully written.

On the good non-fiction front, Survivors has tales like blokey hacking his arm off and plane crash survivor in the jungle what Herzog did Wings of Hope about and that.

I also recently liked 'Moth: an Evolution story', which teaches natural selection with beautiful pictures.