Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:44:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Little Britain removed from streaming services

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 09, 2020, 05:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on June 22, 2020, 07:22:38 PM

Yep blocking out contrary opinions is the best option, that way you'll keep being shocked and horrified when democracy continually fails to go your way.

The fucking grandiosity of that statement. Yes, ignoring your fuckhead opinion is the reason bad things happen

Shit Good Nose

Apologies for briefly hijacking the thread back to its original topic, but Knowing Me Knowing You is being removed from Netflix in a few days (along with Jonathan Creek) as it has reached the end of its allotted time.  I can't remember if there's anything cancelatious in it, but just putting this here in case the media try to wrongly link it to BLM like they did Little Britain.

Carry on.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

SavageHedgehog

That 30 Rock episode mentioned earlier, along with 3 others, are getting the treatment seemingly at the request of Fey herself. Can't argue with that, although I do wonder if excluding\removing episodes is replacing the previous practice of editing\removing the offending scenes.

idunnosomename

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 23, 2020, 12:41:17 AM
i would like to buy a pirate memory game
Can't wait for all the pirate movies to be cancelled because of their historical inaccuracy in regards to the amount of sodomy going on in Pirate Ships, Ahoyyyyyy Maties!

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on June 23, 2020, 12:29:13 AM
That 30 Rock episode mentioned earlier, along with 3 others, are getting the treatment seemingly at the request of Fey herself. Can't argue with that, although I do wonder if excluding\removing episodes is replacing the previous practice of editing\removing the offending scenes.
I'm sure at least the one with Jenna in blackface would be just as funny if you pixelated her out.

phantom_power

Are they being permanently removed or just temporarily while they add some accompanying context?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: phantom_power on June 23, 2020, 09:00:21 AM
Are they being permanently removed or just temporarily while they add some accompanying context?

It's too early to guess at any permanent ones, but at the moment it depends on the platform and/or rights holders. 

My advice would be to get hold of a physical and/or digital copy (if something you like has been or you suspect is about to be affected) just in case.

Zetetic

It's 2020. Anything short of an all-out nuclear exchange is going to struggle to make this stuff truly unavailable.

NoSleep

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 22, 2020, 10:28:25 PM
Apologies for briefly hijacking the thread back to its original topic, but Knowing Me Knowing You is being removed from Netflix in a few days (along with Jonathan Creek) as it has reached the end of its allotted time.  I can't remember if there's anything cancelatious in it, but just putting this here in case the media try to wrongly link it to BLM like they did Little Britain.

Carry on.

Isn't this generally going to be happening to all the British comedy on Netflix because the BBC are starting their own streaming service in the near future? If you want to (re)watch that stuff on Netflix (Monty Python, Red Dwarf, etc) make it soon.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: NoSleep on June 23, 2020, 12:30:55 PM
Isn't this generally going to be happening to all the British comedy on Netflix because the BBC are starting their own streaming service in the near future? If you want to (re)watch that stuff on Netflix (Monty Python, Red Dwarf, etc) make it soon.

Yep.

I'm sure there's every chance Netflix WOULD have removed it anyway ahead of time to follow suit (like another BBC show they removed around the same time that I can't remember now), but all these are getting swept up in the media panic regardless.

TheMonk

Quote from: phantom_power on June 23, 2020, 09:00:21 AM
Also, ‪I see iTunes is listed for episode removal. What happens if you've bought the 30 Rock series before this? Do the episodes still disappear ‬?
While playing for an incomplete series (where presumably the story arc ends up with holes in it) would be irritating, if you've already paid then this would be highly dubious commercial behaviour and would put a big question mark over the whole "buy" process on iTunes.
Edit or pixilate, sure. But episode removal seems disrespectful to those who have paid for your product in goodwill. Who the hell wants an incomplete series? It would do my head in.

jobotic

On a barely related note (where should I put this though?), before Copvid i was watching Righteous Gemstones on Amazon Prime (which to my shame I pay for). I wasn't really in the mood for TV for a long time but went back last week to watch the remining episodes and it wants me to pay for them seperately. Are they only "free" to Prime members for a limited time?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: TheMonk on June 23, 2020, 01:41:50 PM
Also, ‪I see iTunes is listed for episode removal. What happens if you've bought the 30 Rock series before this? Do the episodes still disappear ‬?...

In the past, what's happened is the content is removed from the store but still tied to someone's account and can be accessed. However, for any such service, personally, I would download a copy of something that I didn't want to lose.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: jobotic on June 23, 2020, 01:49:28 PM
On a barely related note (where should I put this though?), before Copvid i was watching Righteous Gemstones on Amazon Prime (which to my shame I pay for). I wasn't really in the mood for TV for a long time but went back last week to watch the remining episodes and it wants me to pay for them seperately. Are they only "free" to Prime members for a limited time?

Depends on the licensing deal, but from what you've said, that does sound to be the case.

NoSleep

Quote from: jobotic on June 23, 2020, 01:49:28 PM

RARGB has it.

TheMonk

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 23, 2020, 01:56:02 PM
In the past, what's happened is the content is removed from the store but still tied to someone's account and can be accessed. However, for any such service, personally, I would download a copy of something that I didn't want to lose.
A worry considering how much I've "bought". I assume there's something covering them in those reams of terms and conditions.

Shit Good Nose

THIS IS WHY PHYSICAL MEDIA IS BETTER THAN STREAMING, PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on June 23, 2020, 12:29:13 AM

This is a shame - some of those are great episodes, and I'd be surprised if a significant number of people were really upset by them, especially since 30 Rock has a really good track record for being ultimately quite good-natured and dealing with taboo subjects without seeming mean or trying to shock for shock's sake. It seems a pity to make an example of them (albeit self-sanctioned) as being something that's "unacceptable".

I think I'm also just bristling at the idea of retroactively removing things from history rather than just committing to different ideals in future work. I'm sure you can technically find box-sets of those various seasons of 30 Rock from third-party sellers or dodgy old torrents, but this move effectively deletes those episodes from the public consciousness (especially since they won't even be available for digital purchase). I really object to this quote from Tina Fey: "Going forward, no comedy-loving kid needs to stumble on these tropes and be stung by their ugliness." I am one of those "comedy-loving kids", and who the fuck are you to tell me what I "don't need to see" when it's something you made and released publicly, made money off and, sometimes, collected Emmys for? I'd have been furious at the idea that I wasn't able to see some episodes of a show I liked just because someone involved suddenly felt bad about them. It shows a distrust in (and a disrespect for) your audience more than anything else.

Yes, that second paragraph is mostly an emotional argument, but they're using emotional arguments to justify its takedown in the first place. So nerrrr.

chveik

yep that's quite hypocritical, especially coming from SNL people that basically made their living out of stereotypes

idunnosomename

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on June 23, 2020, 06:25:43 AM
Can't wait for all the pirate movies to be cancelled because of their historical inaccuracy in regards to the amount of sodomy going on in Pirate Ships, Ahoyyyyyy Maties!
not every pirate was a gay

phantom_power

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 23, 2020, 08:02:56 PM
This is a shame - some of those are great episodes, and I'd be surprised if a significant number of people were really upset by them, especially since 30 Rock has a really good track record for being ultimately quite good-natured and dealing with taboo subjects without seeming mean or trying to shock for shock's sake. It seems a pity to make an example of them (albeit self-sanctioned) as being something that's "unacceptable".

I think I'm also just bristling at the idea of retroactively removing things from history rather than just committing to different ideals in future work. I'm sure you can technically find box-sets of those various seasons of 30 Rock from third-party sellers or dodgy old torrents, but this move effectively deletes those episodes from the public consciousness (especially since they won't even be available for digital purchase). I really object to this quote from Tina Fey: "Going forward, no comedy-loving kid needs to stumble on these tropes and be stung by their ugliness." I am one of those "comedy-loving kids", and who the fuck are you to tell me what I "don't need to see" when it's something you made and released publicly, made money off and, sometimes, collected Emmys for? I'd have been furious at the idea that I wasn't able to see some episodes of a show I liked just because someone involved suddenly felt bad about them. It shows a distrust in (and a disrespect for) your audience more than anything else.

Yes, that second paragraph is mostly an emotional argument, but they're using emotional arguments to justify its takedown in the first place. So nerrrr.

This sort of suggests we as viewers have an intrinsic right to see something despite what the makers or distributors want. I haven't had a proper think about it all but this seems wrong to me. Obviously it is annoying to not see something you want to see but I don't think that is necessarily justification. For one thing the DVDs are available so it isn't like these episodes have been wiped from existence.

As I think I said earlier this is a very modern problem as in the past most TV programmes got shown once live and then the odd repeat and that was it. Then physical media could be withdrawn but that didn't stop sold copies existing. It is only now in this world of streaming libraries that this problem exists and I don't think it is as cut-and-dried as "I want to see it therefore I should be able to"

evilcommiedictator

Collectors, nerds and digital pirates win again?!?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: phantom_power on June 24, 2020, 09:46:20 AM
This sort of suggests we as viewers have an intrinsic right to see something despite what the makers or distributors want. I haven't had a proper think about it all but this seems wrong to me. Obviously it is annoying to not see something you want to see but I don't think that is necessarily justification. For one thing the DVDs are available so it isn't like these episodes have been wiped from existence.

To an extent, once something has been released and available to the public (especially over a matter of decades), I think there actually might be something to the existence of a de facto public (or cultural) domain. Not enshrined in law, obviously, but sentimentally nevertheless. When you've produced content with a major television network (and subsequently released them on streaming platforms and other media) designed to be seen in perpetuity by as many people as possible, I think there is something of an obligation not to suddenly withdraw bits of it on a whim - especially if it's not something anyone even seemed to be demanding.

And yes, "DVDs are available", but people simply don't consume media on DVD anymore, and that is important to realise when making this argument. Fey and NBC and whoever else have done all they can to effectively remove those episodes from existence, short of recalling all physical copies in circulation - they've taken them out of re-runs, off streaming, off digital purchase. That's got to account for nearly all platforms people realistically would watch the show on in 2020. It's also worth remembering that availability of DVDs is finite, and even if there even were to be a reprint of 30 Rock seasons on physical media, these episodes would no longer be included. If they realistically could have taken them off of pre-existing DVDs, they would've.

If anyone really cares for me to go on, I'd also be more convinced by their reasoning if they pledged to return the money they've already been paid for those episodes as well as royalties (in Fey's case, thad'd be: writer, showrunner, exec producer, creator and lead actor credits) to the classes they now claim it victimised. What it actually is is a hollow gesture to pre-empt future "cancellation" that might hamper future projects, whilst also appearing to be right-on[nb]I also don't think it's entirely irrelevant that this move has coincided with the announcement of a 30 Rock Quarantine Reunion Special (which is a ghastly idea for countless reasons, not least that 30 Rock had one of the neatest endings of any recent sitcom I can think of). It's just PR guff that helps nobody other than to absolve the creators of potential past sins whilst punishing people who actually cared about their show.[/nb]. It'd be a slightly different matter if the content of those episodes really had been contested to any significant degree, but I've found absolutely nothing to suggest that was ever the case. If anything, a couple of those episodes in particular were some of the most scathing in terms of criticising the American media's treatment or depiction of black people.

Quote from: phantom_power on June 24, 2020, 09:46:20 AMAs I think I said earlier this is a very modern problem as in the past most TV programmes got shown once live and then the odd repeat and that was it. Then physical media could be withdrawn but that didn't stop sold copies existing. It is only now in this world of streaming libraries that this problem exists and I don't think it is as cut-and-dried as "I want to see it therefore I should be able to"

It absolutely is a modern problem, but that makes it a pertinent problem - and one that I think might become more pronounced with the growing abandonment of physical ownership of entertainment. Sure, there will always be ways around it, but that's kind of like saying it's fine for a government to ban films since "you could always find a torrent". That's just not how most people consume media anymore, and it's beside the point anyway. The idea of effectively erasing parts of history (even in a microcosm like "televised comedy") is fucking horrible and creepy to me, and if it's not abhorrent to anyone else yet, it might eventually affect something you value too.

Fuckitpost.

DrGreggles

Zetetic

I don't think your point is ridiculous, Noodle Lizard. If there was a legitimate way to access those episodes, but with a considerably higher bar to access than current streaming services, would that change how you feel?

This is extremely artificial: If you had book a slot out a day in advance of watching them, for example, would that be sufficient? Is it important that people can watch them in the manner of how most people consume media now?

An aside, I emphasise, but I have rattling around in my head how Black Dresses pulled all their music from streaming services in the last few weeks as part of their decision to disband - but left it up on Bandcamp (where you can stream it all free, as it happens). Very different context: Nothing to do concerns about cancellation but about wanting to limit how people came across the music and reduce... passing interest? Or something like that.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 24, 2020, 10:11:41 PM
Fey and NBC and whoever else have done all they can to effectively remove those episodes from existence, short of recalling all physical copies in circulation

cough cough nerds who have everything stored on their local NAS, see my previous post

phantom_power

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 24, 2020, 10:11:41 PM

It absolutely is a modern problem, but that makes it a pertinent problem - and one that I think might become more pronounced with the growing abandonment of physical ownership of entertainment. Sure, there will always be ways around it, but that's kind of like saying it's fine for a government to ban films since "you could always find a torrent". That's just not how most people consume media anymore, and it's beside the point anyway. The idea of effectively erasing parts of history (even in a microcosm like "televised comedy") is fucking horrible and creepy to me, and if it's not abhorrent to anyone else yet, it might eventually affect something you value too.

Fuckitpost.

My point about the modernity of the problem was that we haven't come up with a reasonable solution yet, or even an agreed way of feeling about this issue. There are still vestiges of the idea of physical media and "owning" something, and these temporary libraries are something we haven't had to worry about before. I am still not sure how I feel about it all and how much right I have as a passive consumer to expect things to be available to me on demand. If I care that much about something is it not too much to ask me to put a bit of effort into obtaining it, like in the old days. And why should I dictate what a private company chooses to put on their streaming service. It is that collision point between art and commerce that is always so tricky

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: phantom_power on June 25, 2020, 08:29:28 AM
My point about the modernity of the problem was that we haven't come up with a reasonable solution yet, or even an agreed way of feeling about this issue. There are still vestiges of the idea of physical media and "owning" something, and these temporary libraries are something we haven't had to worry about before. I am still not sure how I feel about it all and how much right I have as a passive consumer to expect things to be available to me on demand. If I care that much about something is it not too much to ask me to put a bit of effort into obtaining it, like in the old days. And why should I dictate what a private company chooses to put on their streaming service. It is that collision point between art and commerce that is always so tricky

If I'm a paying subscriber and I've paid for notion of having access to all 30 Rock and Always Sunny and they start removing specific episodes that make each of those series incomplete that is kind of them reneging on what made me subscribe in the first place.