Author Topic: Little Britain removed from streaming services  (Read 34311 times)

Re: Little Britain removed from streaming services
« Reply #870 on: June 28, 2020, 10:18:16 PM »
The housewife treated him to a slap up nosh off camera.
i wonder if his knob was coloured with selective single hatching too

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #871 on: June 29, 2020, 01:57:32 AM »
Alison Brie regrets Dianne Nygen in Bojack.
https://www.cbr.com/bojack-horseman-alison-brie-regrets-voicing-asian-american-character/?utm_content=buffer9f8c6&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=CBR-TW&utm_campaign=CBR-TW

I don't disagree with the idea that perhaps the gig should've gone to an actual Asian voice actor, but it seems a bit like she's having her cake and eating it deciding this after the show's recently ended and she's cashed the cheques for 6 years.

« Reply #872 on: June 29, 2020, 09:03:02 PM »
Alison Brie regrets Dianne Nygen in Bojack.
https://www.cbr.com/bojack-horseman-alison-brie-regrets-voicing-asian-american-character/?utm_content=buffer9f8c6&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=CBR-TW&utm_campaign=CBR-TW

I don't disagree with the idea that perhaps the gig should've gone to an actual Asian voice actor, but it seems a bit like she's having her cake and eating it deciding this after the show's recently ended and she's cashed the cheques for 6 years.

That's the feeling I get with a lot of this stuff: self-serving more than anything else, and without any real sacrifice. We've already speculated that the rights may have been expiring anyway for a few of the streaming shows, and it seems like even some of the recent Facebook advertising boycott might be a bit full of shit too.

Meanwhile, 30 Rock have opened themselves up for more criticism: https://www.buzzfeed.com/tatianatenreyrowhitlock/30-rock-racist-towards-latinos

« Reply #873 on: June 29, 2020, 09:06:28 PM »
My immediate thought when reading that yesterday was "okay then maybe give some of the massive wages you earned to an asian american charity or any kind of charity or cause". Fucking sick of all this shit.

People just think saying the right thing and having regrets and thoughts and prayers is good enough. Its fucking not its just lip service and isnt changing anything at all.

Hate all these cunts.

« Reply #874 on: June 29, 2020, 10:56:09 PM »
matt lucas was trending today for him doubling down on "anti-semitism" despite him blacking up less than a decade ago

Autopsy Turvey

• Albert The Grinder vs The Hooded Terror
« Reply #875 on: June 29, 2020, 11:52:12 PM »
My immediate thought when reading that yesterday was "okay then maybe give some of the massive wages you earned to an asian american charity or any kind of charity or cause". Fucking sick of all this shit. ... Hate all these cunts.

Try and look on the bright side, many famous people like to make sure their charitable donations remain anonymous so as not to come over all Dave Nice. Although I suppose the modern instinct is that there's no point in virtue unless it's signalled.

matt lucas was trending today for him doubling down on "anti-semitism" despite him blacking up less than a decade ago

This is confusingly worded, I thought you meant he was doubling down on his own anti-semitism, which seemed weird. Didn't realise BLMUK were overreaching their brief again in such amazing fashion.

« Reply #876 on: June 30, 2020, 07:38:36 AM »
That's the feeling I get with a lot of this stuff: self-serving more than anything else, and without any real sacrifice. We've already speculated that the rights may have been expiring anyway for a few of the streaming shows, and it seems like even some of the recent Facebook advertising boycott might be a bit full of shit too.

Meanwhile, 30 Rock have opened themselves up for more criticism: https://www.buzzfeed.com/tatianatenreyrowhitlock/30-rock-racist-towards-latinos

That's Modern Family fucked as well then

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

• Le corpse garlique of Hercule Poirot
« Reply #877 on: June 30, 2020, 08:50:20 AM »
"Hola Steve! I am the new foreign exchange student! In less than three years, this performance will be considered offensive!"

NoSleep

• This is your Uncle Jim speaking
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #878 on: June 30, 2020, 09:36:05 AM »
That Venezuela episode of Parks & Recreation was truly appalling. Actually put me off the show, which otherwise was able to deal with difficult subjects quite well. Well, that and Louis CK.

« Reply #879 on: June 30, 2020, 11:02:58 AM »
And the story arc where they all relentless bullied a man for 7 seasons but it was ok cos he ‘had a great family life’.

« Reply #880 on: June 30, 2020, 11:43:23 AM »
*And* a big penis!

« Reply #881 on: June 30, 2020, 11:52:28 AM »
Brie's voice is soft and cheesy.

NoSleep

• Space Is The Place
« Reply #882 on: June 30, 2020, 12:15:20 PM »
And the story arc where they all relentless bullied a man for 7 seasons but it was ok cos he ‘had a great family life’.

I'm not that made it "OK"; we were meant to think he was put upon unfairly by the others. The reveals about his life weren't for us, they were to see the reaction of his workmates.

« Reply #883 on: June 30, 2020, 01:37:24 PM »
Yeah their behaviour toward Gerry was always a bit off, and that was part of the joke. These generally nice people had an irrational dislike of a decent man. The kicker was that he had a much better and richer home life than any of them, which made us feel better for him but not feel that it was alright for them to do it

Brundle-Fly

• *Jooolie Andreeeews!! Thhhrrrrp!!!!*
« Reply #884 on: June 30, 2020, 01:42:42 PM »
I wonder if Curb Your Enthusiasm will be next for the microscope?

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
« Reply #885 on: June 30, 2020, 03:49:47 PM »

I've seen it come under fire on Twitter already for a few things, such as that episode they did which used a lot of stereotypes about Asian women being bad at driving. Think there was also something about a character or an accent that Claire or Phil did? Maybe one of the characters they do in that running thing where they do a sex roleplay every Valentine's Day. I've forgotten so much about that show.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #886 on: June 30, 2020, 04:03:51 PM »
Netflix have removed Peep Show's blackface scene, but 4 are saying they'll leave it in because of the context.  Which is fair enough.

Not a show that I'm keen on so it doesn't bother me, but for interest - there are also rumours (and I will stress that these are rumours) that future DVD and blu-ray pressings of 30 Rock will have all of the questionable stuff removed.  That might (probably) just be scaremongering idiots, though, but it's getting some traction on various forums.

« Reply #887 on: June 30, 2020, 04:07:10 PM »
I've seen it come under fire on Twitter already for a few things, such as that episode they did which used a lot of stereotypes about Asian women being bad at driving. Think there was also something about a character or an accent that Claire or Phil did? Maybe one of the characters they do in that running thing where they do a sex roleplay every Valentine's Day. I've forgotten so much about that show.

I was thinking more one of the main characters who conforms to a lot of the stereotypes laid out in the 30 Rock article

rue the polywhirl

• eight lives left
« Reply #888 on: June 30, 2020, 05:36:25 PM »
Netflix have removed Peep Show's blackface scene, but 4 are saying they'll leave it in because of the context.  Which is fair enough.

Not a show that I'm keen on so it doesn't bother me, but for interest - there are also rumours (and I will stress that these are rumours) that future DVD and blu-ray pressings of 30 Rock will have all of the questionable stuff removed.  That might (probably) just be scaremongering idiots, though, but it's getting some traction on various forums.

Not a fan of 30 Rock. Would be good with the future DVD/Blu Ray pressings if they removed all of the content. Or in an almighty cock-up they pressed the dvds so that only the questionable bits are intact.

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
« Reply #889 on: June 30, 2020, 06:00:01 PM »
I was thinking more one of the main characters who conforms to a lot of the stereotypes laid out in the 30 Rock article

Oh absolutely. Those were just the things I'd seen discussed on Twitter. Apparently there's loads of openly racist jokes aimed in many directions - at Colombians as you say, at Lily and Asian people generally, at black people - in the earlier seasons especially. Not such a modern family after all!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 06:11:24 PM by BritishHobo »

« Reply #890 on: June 30, 2020, 06:41:59 PM »

It surprises me that they'd press them again anyway.  Unless it's dead important that sitcoms are watched in 1080p.

« Reply #891 on: July 01, 2020, 04:43:45 PM »
I wonder if Curb Your Enthusiasm will be next for the microscope?

I can sometimes be guilty of being racist in the guise of poking fun of racism, but if we banned every show that did that, there wouldn't be much left in the canon (Larry Sanders was sometimes outrageously sexist in the guise of poking fun at outrageous sexism, especially in Tambor's sleaziest Hank storylines, but I'd cancel HBO forever if they took it off the platform).

And the racism in Curb is complicated by the fact that it's acted by a black guy (and Wanda Sykes in a very ironic way). Similarly with the dog barking at the lesbian character, who is being played by a lesbian - Rosie O'Donnell.)

Treat the audience as intelligent adults who can make mature choices about whether they think the irony is sufficient cover for the offensiveness. We're not talking about a mass channel being viewed by half the population that owns a TV.

With DVD and blu-ray, how hard would it be to release censored and uncensored versions, clearly labelled, side by side?

« Reply #892 on: July 01, 2020, 07:53:38 PM »
Tend to think Curb is just too self-aware for this. Could see him doing a story about it happening to Seinfeld.

Brundle-Fly

« Reply #893 on: July 02, 2020, 11:18:48 AM »
I can't imagine Wanda Sykes having anything to do with Curb, if she felt it was problematic regarding race. Although she's not been in the show since 2011. Anyone know why? I did google this link where she discusses her absence, but the video is unable to be viewed.

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2017/09/wanda-sykes-larry-david-curb-your-enthusiasm-audition

NoSleep

• Space Is The Place
« Reply #894 on: July 02, 2020, 11:26:12 AM »
The video worked for me and she says, "I was surprised he didn't ask me to come back... see how that goes."

Brundle-Fly

« Reply #895 on: July 02, 2020, 11:29:57 AM »
Ah, thanks. I'll take another look. Maybe they felt they'd taken that character as far as they could?

« Reply #896 on: July 02, 2020, 04:02:53 PM »
One of my favourite scenes is with Wanda after Larry has seen her power walking and the ass comments, just Larry's broken man defence as he can't win against her and Cheryl's pincer attack, and the ensuing ass fetish accusations arc.

« Reply #897 on: July 02, 2020, 04:25:15 PM »
Has anyone mentioned the removal of the Community Advanced Dungeons and Dragons episode from Netflix yet? A bizarre decision, I think - surely the joke is that Chang is utterly socially inept, and Shirley explicitly calls it out as a "hate crime". It's also (IMO) a pretty on-the-nose comment on the subtle forms of racism in fantasy and gaming, and adds to the punch of an episode which is fundamentally about the shittiness of bullying others.

« Reply #898 on: July 02, 2020, 06:31:33 PM »
Meanwhile Mad Men has announced that its blackface episode is remaining up but with a disclaimer.

(I'd forgotten Mad Men had a blackface episode tbh.)

« Reply #899 on: July 02, 2020, 06:33:47 PM »
Has anyone mentioned the removal of the Community Advanced Dungeons and Dragons episode from Netflix yet? A bizarre decision, I think - surely the joke is that Chang is utterly socially inept, and Shirley explicitly calls it out as a "hate crime". It's also (IMO) a pretty on-the-nose comment on the subtle forms of racism in fantasy and gaming, and adds to the punch of an episode which is fundamentally about the shittiness of bullying others.

That is disappointing. I watched the episode again about a month ago and thought it was brilliant. He's also not supposed to be in blackface - he's in character as some kind of orc, if I remember correctly. That said, I suppose it does get a cheap laugh out of the reveal of how Chang looks - that it looks like blackface. I suppose have-your-cake-and-eat-it gags are in a way just as problematic as overly dodgy and unjustified gags. Hmmm.

Tags: