Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,358
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Little Britain removed from streaming services

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 09, 2020, 05:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natnar

Maybe the next step is to cancel Mrs Brown's Boys cause there's a man pretending to be a women on it, we can but hope!

kidsick5000

Jimmy Fallon was called out for blackface recently.
Again, it was an older sketch from his SNL days about 20 years ago where he was playing Chris Rock.
Fallon has apologised while he's got an ally in Jamie Foxx who defended him.

"He was doing an impression of Chris Rock. It wasn't blackface. We comedians I know it's a tough time right now. But this one is a stretch"

When Vic and Bob first did Otis and Marvin, it felt dodgy. More so than Vic's Barry White. They must have been the first of our generation of comedians to dare to try it. But then it wasn't malicious and obviously silly. So it went by without much visible comment. But then it was pre-internet.
That said, in later instances they just did it with wigs and moustaches.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 09, 2020, 05:37:26 PM
I think in the case of Netflix it was more that it was about to be removed by default anyway as it was reaching the end of its time on there - it was on "Being Removed Soon" lists for a few weeks prior. 

Congratulations everyone for falling for a media release pretending to be news. The notorious leftist BBC and let's assume Corbyn loving Britbox doing it as well remains unclear.

SavageHedgehog

From what I can tell the BBC only commented on it because the Daily Mail looked into it once it was discovered. It might have gone unnoticed at another time. It does leave a bit of a bad taste that they can just go "eh, it was a different time" (which it was but not *that* different) and wash their hands of it, Lucas and Walliams will probably be asked about this at every interview for years. Not saying they shouldn't be held accountable for it, but still.

jobotic

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 10, 2020, 09:28:15 AM
You've already done that one.

They must be discussing it in his little group - "tell them they should cancel League of Gentleman next - lefties love that".

Ignatius_S

Quote from: kidsick5000 on June 10, 2020, 09:38:58 AM...When Vic and Bob first did Otis and Marvin, it felt dodgy. More so than Vic's Barry White. They must have been the first of our generation of comedians to dare to try it. But then it wasn't malicious and obviously silly. So it went by without much visible comment. But then it was pre-internet.
That said, in later instances they just did it with wigs and moustaches.

There were complaints about the use of blackface - hence, it being dropped from those characters. Personally, I've never understood why they thought it was good idea and found the characters worked better without it.

BritishHobo

Did they ever do blackface in Monty Python? Don't bother checking, I bet they did. Cancelled. If you're quote them, ever, you're cancelled. Quoting Dead Parrot sketch? Cancelled. Very naughty boy? Cancelled. What have the Romans ever done for us, cancelled, mother was a hamster father smelled of elderberries cancelled. All cancelled.

SavageHedgehog

The Loretta scene in Life of Brian has got some heat recently.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 10, 2020, 01:26:03 AM
With the IASIP episode (the first one anyway), I thought part of the joke was that the blackface, once revealed after so much debate, was more just weird and uneasy rather than lazily offensive like we were expecting - as in it's a pretty professional job (a la Tropic Thunder) rather than an outright offensive caricature, which tells you that Mac's conviction about it being fair to do was actually sincere. This is quickly undermined by the gag of the Juggalo kid trying to copy it. I guarantee you everyone on set was pissing themselves the whole way through, for multiple reasons.

Is it that one or a later one where they swap over half way through and Dennis refuses to black up, making it a farce bit also obvious that Dennis as a narcissist is far more concerned about being seen to be racist over actually not being racist?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 10, 2020, 10:23:32 AM
Did they ever do blackface in Monty Python? Don't bother checking, I bet they did. Cancelled. If you're quote them, ever, you're cancelled. Quoting Dead Parrot sketch? Cancelled. Very naughty boy? Cancelled. What have the Romans ever done for us, cancelled, mother was a hamster father smelled of elderberries cancelled. All cancelled.

Mrs. Scum: I don't like darkies.
John Cleese the oleaginous quiz show host: She doesn't like darkies...HAHA HAHA...who does?
* RAUCOUS LAUGHTER AND APPLAUSE FROM 1970S AUDIENCE*

DrGreggles

Benjaminos

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on June 10, 2020, 09:04:00 AM
you think the mob care about context??

ahaha, you manually inserted your own cunt's emoji, amazing

Tony Tony Tony

Things are getting a bit OTT now with Gone With The Wind being pullled from HBO with a spokesperson saying it was "a product of its time" and depicted "ethnic and racial prejudices" that "were wrong then and are wrong today".

Apparently the movie will be reinstated at some unspecified point in the future accompanied with a "discussion of its historical context". How about a quick warning before it starts like they do with Tom and Jerry (yes you read that right... Tom and Feckin Jerry) 

idunnosomename

BUT I WANTED TO WATCH GONE WITH THE WIND NOW WAAAAH

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 10, 2020, 10:42:46 AM
John Cleese the oleaginous quiz show host: She doesn't like darkies...HAHA HAHA...who does?

I'm recalling old memory here as it's been a LONG time since I've seen any of the series, but wasn't the point of that sketch that it was a horrible quiz show featuring horrible people?  All prizes being smashed on the head with a hammer followed by being jumped on?

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 10, 2020, 11:00:36 AM
Things are getting a bit OTT now with Gone With The Wind being pullled from HBO with a spokesperson saying it was "a product of its time" and depicted "ethnic and racial prejudices" that "were wrong then and are wrong today".

Apparently the movie will be reinstated at some unspecified point in the future accompanied with a "discussion of its historical context". How about a quick warning before it starts like they do with Tom and Jerry (yes you read that right... Tom and Feckin Jerry) 

Talking Pictures TV channel have got it right - their catalogue is made up of TV shows and films made during the worst periods of modern history in terms of thinking, but instead of editing stuff or not bothering to show it at all, they always have tailored ratings/disclaimers at the beginning of each thing and at every ad break.  Obviously they don't show stuff like the Black and White Minstrel Show, but they have aired loads of variety shows from the archives and there's always at least one questionable thing in those.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 10, 2020, 10:42:46 AM

I think The Middle Of The Film/ African Zulu announcement in Monty Python's Meaning Of Life (1983) might be an issue now.

and Mrs N-word baiter.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 10, 2020, 11:04:44 AM
I'm recalling old memory here as it's been a LONG time since I've seen any of the series, but wasn't the point of that sketch that it was a horrible quiz show featuring horrible people?  All prizes being smashed on the head with a hammer followed by being jumped on?

I was thinking more of the " Live At Drury Lane" ( Charisma Records, 1974) version, and the truly discmfiting laughter from the 70s audience, all hopped up on pints of Double Diamond.

Eric Idle as blackface boss- eyed " hey, massah" butler on " The Attila The Hun" show.

Brundle-Fly

Palin's Indian waiter sketch in How To Irritate People. too.  This is an even-handed blog on 'dodgy wobbly head accents/ browning up'  with lots of clips from old favourites.

https://blogofthebeardedone.wordpress.com/2015/10/11/islam-and-humour-part-5-the-evolution-of-the-indian-restaurant-sketch/

MojoJojo

Little Britain now number 2 & 3 on amazon's DVD sales.

mippy

Happy to cancel anyone quoting Python tbh.

SavageHedgehog

I wonder when the last time half of the people buying it watched or thought of Little Britain before yesterday?

idunnosomename

Quote from: MojoJojo on June 10, 2020, 11:31:58 AM
Little Britain now number 2 & 3 on amazon's DVD sales.
buying optical media to own the libs

dissolute ocelot

Going beyond the current focus on anti-black racism, if you cancel all media for being sexist, homophobic, transphobic, anti-semitic, etc, you'll not only lose a lot of shitty white middle-class comedy, but also a lot of black culture and other minority culture, like Eddie Murphy, Blacksploitation, gangster rap, Tyler Perry (aww), a lot of reggae/dancehall, etc. Calls for censorship generally come from those in power (Daily Mail) and historically targeted black (rap), queer, working class (metal), or otherwise marginalised art forms, not Stuff Middle Class White People Like. There are good sociological and artistic reasons why marginalised cultures don't stick to polite middle-class rules, but if there's a war to censor as much as possible, it's not going to be the establishment that loses. (This doesn't alter the fact that it's absolutely fine to critique media we don't like, but don't ban it.)

And this is aside from the fact that Little Britain is about to become the alt-right's favourite TV show.

Tony Tony Tony

checkoutgirl

Quote from: jobotic on June 09, 2020, 10:24:55 PM
Can we still  laugh at really fat women who have the audacity to have sexual appetites though?

Probably not.

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on June 10, 2020, 09:04:00 AM
you think the mob care about context??

Ah yes, the nuance of calling those seeking social justice a mob to imply they're actually bad. Such context, so nuance.

And you went to the trouble of finding the c*nt emoji as an image? Mate...

jobotic

They're not banned. They're nos 2 and 3 in Amazon's best-selling DVD sales, as we've been discussing.

idunnosomename

Ah yes but imagine if they were. It's just like Hitler

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on June 09, 2020, 10:51:21 PM
Did Jim Davidson dress up as a black man? It wouldn't surprise me, but I haven't seen that yet. Just thought he did his Chalky White voice.

D'ye remember Jim's packet of chips routine he did for the army? Ooof.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: mippy on June 09, 2020, 11:42:23 PM
You know that whole 'separate the artist from the work' thing? Yeah, reeeeeeally doesn't work with Allen.

I think Louis CK did a bit about rape being an option if you really want to fuck someone but they not wanting to fuck you. I mean in that sitiation rape is the only option. Then his surprise masturbation exhibitionism came to light and...yeah.