Author Topic: I May Destroy You  (Read 1590 times)

I May Destroy You
« on: June 09, 2020, 07:34:33 PM »
New show from Michaela Coel.
Super-rave review from the Guardian. I've only seen the first one so far but a strong start.

Re: I May Destroy You
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 10:34:55 PM »
This is excellent and more people should watch it.

Kinda reminds me of This Life in it's fearlessness and witty observational style, albeit with a slightly different agenda and mood. 4 eps in and looking forward to see where it goes.

If in doubt, watch this fine (as in, both good and representative) trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7QSHcCof1o

Blinder Data

• Use your library
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 09:44:07 PM »
I thought this could end up a bit annoying but it's good. Episode 3 gave me warm pangs of nostalgia of being off my face in a European disco, and then cold pangs of regret for being off my tits in a European disco.

I'm guessing we're meant to feel conflicted towards Zain after he removed the condom without consent? It was horrible seeing how matey they were afterwards. The lying creep better get his comeuppance.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 07:02:31 AM »
Started watching last night and enjoyed it. Very strong performances from all the cast. Not sure how Michael Coel manages to get so much into her physical performance without it being absurd or off putting.

Agree both with the This Life vibe and Blinder Dater 's European Disco memories.

Am only just at the very start of e4 so question may be premature but: Blinder - did I miss the bits of your spoiler or are they yet to come?

Blinder Data

• Use your library
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 10:54:49 AM »
Am only just at the very start of e4 so question may be premature but: Blinder - did I miss the bits of your spoiler or are they yet to come?

I was talking about episode 4.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 11:45:55 AM »
I was talking about episode 4.

Thanks. Thought it might have been part of the threesome bit that I missed. I wonder if they will revisit any fallout from that as I like the character and it seems important to her.

I will finish e4 and stop trying to guess.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 08:24:01 PM »
I didn't feel conflicted, chap's a wrong'un. I was surprised she didn't seem to take it more seriously.

MojoJojo

• Between a cow college and a MetaLab.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 07:48:56 AM »
Right, so this is like a 21st century Antiques Road Show?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

• It was with a harpoon gun.
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 08:54:07 AM »
Right, so this is like a 21st century Antiques Road Show?

Sort of. With bumming.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 09:45:11 AM »
Sort of. With bumming.
Not much though. Not enough some might say.

Finished it yesterday and was impressed with it. At times I thought it was going to be too on the nose but it was misdirection.

I liked that there are lots of threads left dangling because I suppose that's how life is. The only thing I didn't get on with was T's story. It felt a bit underdeveloped. Or maybe I was looking for more than there is. A more general question would be : what is point Italy episode?

Enjoyed how hateful the publisher was.

Interesting ending. I definitely understood it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

• It was with a harpoon gun.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 01:36:30 PM »
I would have thought the Italy episode was to show something of the freewheelin' spirit of Mike Pepsi and her mate, no shrinking violets, they. To demonstrate the character of their characters.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 02:21:56 PM »
Yes that was the only point of it I could see except for T's experience there. I feel certain that means more than was shown but can't really work out what.

Blinder Data

• Use your library
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 11:34:48 PM »
I just found out that there are six more episodes! Like you I was trying to work out how they were going to settle all the storylines. Hopefully that's actually going to happen now and we'll find out what happened that first night.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 01:44:13 PM »
I just found out that there are six more episodes! Like you I was trying to work out how they were going to settle all the storylines. Hopefully that's actually going to happen now and we'll find out what happened that first night.
Well that's excellent news & kind of makes sense of what I thought was a strange ending. Thanks, Blinder!

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2020, 01:49:27 PM »
Yes. Thanks for that. Same thing happened to me over  Breaking Bad. I only watched the second part of the final series last year. Must remember not to do that this time.

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 08:42:16 PM »
Hmm. Was not expecting her to go off the rails like that.

Rev+

• Take care of yourself, and each other
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 12:39:50 AM »
The sixth episode might have been the better point at which to end it.  This doesn't need to be as long as it is, and weakens itself with every new episode.  It's partly due to storytelling -  the original attack has been all but forgotten at this point - and how it jumps about, but there's nothing compelling here.  That's just a general failure.

Tags: