Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I May Destroy You

Started by mjwilson, June 09, 2020, 07:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwilson

New show from Michaela Coel.
Super-rave review from the Guardian. I've only seen the first one so far but a strong start.

Bence Fekete

This is excellent and more people should watch it.

Kinda reminds me of This Life in it's fearlessness and witty observational style, albeit with a slightly different agenda and mood. 4 eps in and looking forward to see where it goes.

If in doubt, watch this fine (as in, both good and representative) trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7QSHcCof1o

Blinder Data

I thought this could end up a bit annoying but it's good. Episode 3 gave me warm pangs of nostalgia of being off my face in a European disco, and then cold pangs of regret for being off my tits in a European disco.

I'm guessing we're meant to feel
Spoiler alert
conflicted towards Zain after he removed the condom without consent? It was horrible seeing how matey they were afterwards. The lying creep better get his comeuppance.
[close]

paruses

Started watching last night and enjoyed it. Very strong performances from all the cast. Not sure how Michael Coel manages to get so much into her physical performance without it being absurd or off putting.

Agree both with the This Life vibe and Blinder Dater 's European Disco memories.

Am only just at the very start of e4 so question may be premature but: Blinder - did I miss the bits of your spoiler or are they yet to come?

Blinder Data

Quote from: paruses on June 22, 2020, 07:02:31 AM
Am only just at the very start of e4 so question may be premature but: Blinder - did I miss the bits of your spoiler or are they yet to come?

I was talking about episode 4.

paruses

Quote from: Blinder Data on June 22, 2020, 10:54:49 AM
I was talking about episode 4.

Thanks. Thought it might have been part of the
Spoiler alert
threesome
[close]
bit that I missed. I wonder if they will revisit any fallout from that as I like the character and it seems important to her.

I will finish e4 and stop trying to guess.

mjwilson

I didn't feel conflicted, chap's a wrong'un. I was surprised she didn't seem to take it more seriously.

MojoJojo

Right, so this is like a 21st century Antiques Road Show?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: MojoJojo on June 23, 2020, 07:48:56 AM
Right, so this is like a 21st century Antiques Road Show?

Sort of. With bumming.

paruses

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 23, 2020, 08:54:07 AM
Sort of. With bumming.
Not much though. Not enough some might say.

Finished it yesterday and was impressed with it. At times I thought it was going to be too on the nose but it was misdirection.

I liked that there are lots of threads left dangling because I suppose that's how life is. The only thing I didn't get on with was T's story. It felt a bit underdeveloped. Or maybe I was looking for more than there is. A more general question would be : what is point Italy episode?

Enjoyed how hateful the publisher was.

Interesting ending. I definitely understood it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I would have thought the Italy episode was to show something of the freewheelin' spirit of Mike Pepsi and her mate, no shrinking violets, they. To demonstrate the character of their characters.

paruses

Yes that was the only point of it I could see except for T's experience there. I feel certain that means more than was shown but can't really work out what.

Blinder Data

I just found out that there are six more episodes! Like you I was trying to work out how they were going to settle all the storylines. Hopefully that's actually going to happen now and we'll find out what happened that first night.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Blinder Data on June 26, 2020, 11:34:48 PM
I just found out that there are six more episodes! Like you I was trying to work out how they were going to settle all the storylines. Hopefully that's actually going to happen now and we'll find out what happened that first night.
Well that's excellent news & kind of makes sense of what I thought was a strange ending. Thanks, Blinder!

paruses

Yes. Thanks for that. Same thing happened to me over  Breaking Bad. I only watched the second part of the final series last year. Must remember not to do that this time.

mjwilson

Hmm. Was not expecting her to go off the rails like that.

Rev+

The sixth episode might have been the better point at which to end it.  This doesn't need to be as long as it is, and weakens itself with every new episode.  It's partly due to storytelling -  the original attack has been all but forgotten at this point - and how it jumps about, but there's nothing compelling here.  That's just a general failure.

peanutbutter

last few episodes have felt like the aimless underwhelming second season, I wonder if it's just something to do with BBC crew on the whole just not being that used to doing more than 6 episodes in a season or if it's my expectations of things with English accents.

Rev+

It could have been a great, tight series - but it was too long and the door's open for a second series, which is probably happening.  Fuck's sake. 

If anything needed to be a 'one and done' it was this.

thugler

3 episodes in, I'm not entirely sure this is any good. Her performance is strong, but that's about it. Bad over done drug taking and i expect there to be a 'drugs are bad' message later. Episode 3 seemed entirely pointless and the content of it could have been dealt with in about 5 minutes rather than 30.

Does it get better?

paruses

Yes - it gets better then worse then better with an ending that's possibly strong.

I watched the end eps the other day and want to write a post about it but just need to think a bit.

Have to say their millenial world was pretty alien to me and I found myself thinking I was a million years old and a gammon in that it gave me a different perspective on issues around consent.

paruses

Quote from: paruses on July 15, 2020, 08:43:00 PM
Yes - it gets better then worse then better with an ending that's possibly strong.

I watched the end eps the other day and want to write a post about it but just need to think a bit.

Have to say their millenial world was pretty alien to me and I found myself thinking I was a million years old and a gammon in that it gave me a different perspective on issues around consent.

Just to be clear - I'm not a rapist. I'm just saying it made me feel old and it made me think a bit differently about current ongoing debates.

peanutbutter

Finished it there, thought the last episode was pretty good. They're surely not doing a second season?

Second half was quite a lot weaker I thought asides from the last episode. Felt like a two season thing that got turned into one season to work for HBO and a big chunk suffered from being rushed a bit

McFlymo

I thought this was absolutely perfect and genuinely one of the most gripping and original TV shows I've seen in many years!
So many touching and heartbreaking moments, some harrowing stuff too. I was bawling my eyes out at a few points. The focus on how it is for a survivor of rape / sexual assault, determined not to be destroyed by the experience is something I haven't seen done like this before. I loved the flashbacks to different times, the drug experiences, the music, the silly gags (often in the background), how it threw some real curve balls into the plot. I loved the way it dealt with sexuality, consent, promiscuity, gender - Ach it was just fucking brilliant.

ProvanFan

Aye I thought it was excellent. Watched it two episodes at a time and it didn't feel long at all.

thugler

Finished this now. There were things I liked about it and it was entertaining enough but i can't say I really get the level of praise. Felt a lot like atlanta in parts once it settled down a bit. The characters didn't seem particularly well drawn and the world felt a bit hyper exaggerated. It did have some interesting things to say about the subjects it dealt with though and it's nice to see something that was exactly as the artist intended to make it without being tamed by producers. But it was an uneven experience for me. I always cringe at naff drug scenes. It seemed odd to see a bunch of young people living in London, constantly doing drugs and not really working but rarely having any issues with money, but i guess she may have wanted to present black people on tv being rich and successful for once. I'd definitely be interested in whatever she does next.

mjwilson

She's not really rich or successful though right? She's a minor celebrity but she is flat out of money and trying to get more on her advance for her second book.

Spoiler alert
I didn't care for the "multiple narratives" bit of the finale, pulled me right out of the story.
[close]

jfjnpxmy

Quote from: mjwilson on July 18, 2020, 01:31:34 PM
She's not really rich or successful though right? She's a minor celebrity but she is flat out of money and trying to get more on her advance for her second book.

That's a hoary old trope in itself, though. Pay occasional lip service to being skint, but it never stops any of the characters swanning around in a different outfit every scene, eating and drinking out constantly, hoovering class As, swanning off on holidays and living in the Big City.

thugler

Quote from: jfjnpxmy on July 18, 2020, 01:48:53 PM
That's a hoary old trope in itself, though. Pay occasional lip service to being skint, but it never stops any of the characters swanning around in a different outfit every scene, eating and drinking out constantly, hoovering class As, swanning off on holidays and living in the Big City.

Yeah, this stuff also prevented the characters being all that likeable also. We're told that she is a talented writer but aren't really shown much evidence of this. They're glamorous and wild and have strong friendships and exciting or horrendous stuff happens to them, that in itself is reason enough to follow their adventures. It's an interesting choice, but i quite liked that they were very far from perfect or idealised people.