Author Topic: RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars Season 5  (Read 273 times)

alan nagsworth

• there was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt
RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars Season 5
« on: June 10, 2020, 11:17:12 AM »
Alright, so I didn't watch anything beyond the first episode of season 12. I made that choice because of the Sherry Pie stuff. I understand why people wanted to continue watching but for me it was just a turn off.

Anyway!

It was announced last week that due to "factors beyond our control" Netflix was not able to broadcast the first episode last Friday as planned, but episodes 1 and 2 will be going up simultaneously this Saturday.

Anyway!

I got a copy through alternative methods last night and watched it.

Anyway! Here's my initial thoughts, spoilered since it's not officially aired yet:

This was a decent enough first episode, but is it just me or are they starting to really scrape the barrel for "All Stars" now? Derrick Barry? Mariah Paris Balenciaga? Come on mate. Derrick hilariously has not changed at all and Mariah only got a free pass in the first maxi challenge because her dreadful sixth form art project had a powerful message that Ricky Martin enjoyed.

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like the real class acts like Jujubee and Miz Cracker are just going to quickly outshine the filler queens which of course will not make for very interesting viewing.

Also fucking hell Blair St. Clair has had a lot of face work done and does not look good now.

Anyway!

Re: RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars Season 5
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 02:52:35 PM »
Is this watchable as a stand-alone thing or is it full of in-jokes and references that you need to have watched the previous seasons for?

alan nagsworth

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 08:39:44 PM »
Is this watchable as a stand-alone thing or is it full of in-jokes and references that you need to have watched the previous seasons for?

Bit of a tough call when watching All Stars I'm afraid. These seasons are collections of previous queens who never won but deserve a second chance against one another, so there is some knowledge to be had about the previous seasons. If you have access to the older stuff, though, I strongly recommend watching it, as it's some of the best reality TV going, in my opinion. Start from season 3, as it's quite ropey in the early days and less likely to suck you in. S3-6 are fucking gold.

alan nagsworth

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 09:05:24 AM »
Anyone watching? First two episodes are up on Netflix now, third one airs this weekend.

Tags: