Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:37:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars Season 5

Started by alan nagsworth, June 10, 2020, 11:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Alright, so I didn't watch anything beyond the first episode of season 12. I made that choice because of the Sherry Pie stuff. I understand why people wanted to continue watching but for me it was just a turn off.

Anyway!

It was announced last week that due to "factors beyond our control" Netflix was not able to broadcast the first episode last Friday as planned, but episodes 1 and 2 will be going up simultaneously this Saturday.

Anyway!

I got a copy through alternative methods last night and watched it.

Anyway! Here's my initial thoughts, spoilered since it's not officially aired yet:

Spoiler alert
This was a decent enough first episode, but is it just me or are they starting to really scrape the barrel for "All Stars" now? Derrick Barry? Mariah Paris Balenciaga? Come on mate. Derrick hilariously has not changed at all and Mariah only got a free pass in the first maxi challenge because her dreadful sixth form art project had a powerful message that Ricky Martin enjoyed.

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like the real class acts like Jujubee and Miz Cracker are just going to quickly outshine the filler queens which of course will not make for very interesting viewing.

Also fucking hell Blair St. Clair has had a lot of face work done and does not look good now.
[close]

Anyway!

olliebean

Is this watchable as a stand-alone thing or is it full of in-jokes and references that you need to have watched the previous seasons for?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: olliebean on June 10, 2020, 02:52:35 PM
Is this watchable as a stand-alone thing or is it full of in-jokes and references that you need to have watched the previous seasons for?

Bit of a tough call when watching All Stars I'm afraid. These seasons are collections of previous queens who never won but deserve a second chance against one another, so there is some knowledge to be had about the previous seasons. If you have access to the older stuff, though, I strongly recommend watching it, as it's some of the best reality TV going, in my opinion. Start from season 3, as it's quite ropey in the early days and less likely to suck you in. S3-6 are fucking gold.

alan nagsworth

Anyone watching? First two episodes are up on Netflix now, third one airs this weekend.

Cuellar

A season surely devised to 'right' the wrong of Shea not winning her season.

That being said, Jujubee is a complete star and if she were to win I'd be delighted.

bgmnts

Season 2-6 I really, really enjoyed. But getting into season 7 I am kind of drained of it a bit and none of these girls interest me.

So I may just give s4 and s5 of all stars a go.

The Mollusk

Quote from: bgmnts on July 10, 2020, 04:44:45 PM
Season 2-6 I really, really enjoyed. But getting into season 7 I am kind of drained of it a bit and none of these girls interest me.

So I may just give s4 and s5 of all stars a go.

Season 7 (despite having Katya and Trixie, two of my all time favourites) is rubbish in comparison to the others, especially following 6 which is one of the best. You could probably skip it entirely, to be honest. It picks back up again after that.

Quote from: Cuellar on July 10, 2020, 01:00:51 PM
A season surely devised to 'right' the wrong of Shea not winning her season.

That being said, Jujubee is a complete star and if she were to win I'd be delighted.

Yeah, agreed. The drama has been enjoyable enough I guess, but there's a gulf of talent between Shea/Jujubee and the rest of them. Really slim pickings this year, as mentioned in the OP. Jujubee deserves it more, as this is her third appearance now and she is marvellous. Cannot be fucking arsed at all with Alexis.