Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,171
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:02:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Staged (Tennant & Sheen Lockdown Sitcom)

Started by Malcy, June 10, 2020, 10:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

This starts tonight at 10.45. Playing fictional versions of themselves rehearsing a play during lockdown.

QuoteDavid Tennant and Michael Sheen (playing themselves) were due to star in a production of Six Characters In Search Of An Author in the West End.

The pandemic has put paid to that, but their director (Simon Evans - also playing himself) is determined not to let the opportunity pass him by. He knows how big a chance this is for him and turns his attention to cajoling his stars into rehearsing over the internet.

All they need to do is read the first scene, but throughout the series they come up against a multitude of oppositional forces: distraction, boredom, home-schooling and their own egos.

Absurd and humorous in equal measure, Staged takes on the challenges of creating a drama in lockdown, on stage and off, with a line-up including Georgia Tennant, Lucy Eaton and Anna Lundberg. The show will also have a selection of guest stars including Nina Sosanya

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/staged/

bgmnts

Love Sheen and Tennant is alright but got one chuckle at the end.

Bit crap.

Edit - REALLY crap.

amateur

Were there any jokes about people being on mute? Not a lockdown comedy without one imo.

olliebean

Quote from: amateur on June 11, 2020, 10:04:19 AM
Were there any jokes about people being on mute? Not a lockdown comedy without one imo.

Not in episode 1, but there was one about someone freezing and then losing connection just as they were about to say something important.

amateur

Quote from: olliebean on June 11, 2020, 10:11:41 AM
Not in episode 1, but there was one about someone freezing and then losing connection just as they were about to say something important.

Great to see the conventions of the genre being maintained even in these unprecedented times, might give it a go after baking banana bread and wanking off to Joe Wicks.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: bgmnts on June 10, 2020, 11:05:49 PM
Love Sheen and Tennant is alright but got one chuckle at the end.

Bit crap.

Edit - REALLY crap.

I thought it was poor too, inoffensive but lazy and it had nothing interesting to say at all.

Malcy

Thought it was ok. Not really any laughs though. It's main plus point is that it isn't actors constantly looking face on at the camera. Sick of that shit the past couple of months.

Sheen does capture the annoyance of people talking over one another on video calls well.

Malcy

This improves hugely as it goes on. Just finished episode 3 and thought it was great.

Brundle-Fly

You can tell it's influenced by The Trip. Not that that is a bad thing. Enjoying it so far but it's very 'in'.

thr0b

I like that we have some good but informal double acts going on at the moment. Obviously we've got Coogan and Brydon, and Sheen/Tennant have joined their ranks in the last couple of years.

We've probably got McGuinness/Lemon as well.

olliebean

Quote from: thr0b on June 11, 2020, 02:13:50 PM
I like that we have some good but informal double acts going on at the moment. Obviously we've got Coogan and Brydon, and Sheen/Tennant have joined their ranks in the last couple of years.

We've probably got McGuinness/Lemon as well.

Erm...

KennyMonster

I liked the first two I've seen so far, genuine chuckles.

Pretty decent for 15 minutes short episode comedies.

We are waiting to hear what a friend who works in theatre thinks of it.

Malcy

Quote from: olliebean on June 12, 2020, 10:10:12 PM
I enjoyed "Sam" in episode 3.

Added a lot of energy to it. Really enjoyed the ever changing credits of Tennant & Sheen as well. A lot of little things to enjoy in this. I wish there had been more.

Would happily welcome a second series but not another pandemic that would make it possible!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I don't particularly like this show, it's just nothing really, but you can tell that Tennant has obviously been waiting for years to reveal that he's really good at the old comedy swearing. His apoplectic delivery of "FUCK OFF!" in episode one was worthy of the third Scottish Doctor Who, Peter Capaldi.

I have never heard Sylvester McCoy swear, maybe he's really good at it too.

Alberon

The first episode is just there really. Not much you can say about it, but the second one is funnier and I'll carry on with it for a bit. Sheen is making the most of the limited format though, looming into the camera like a madman without warning.

I think I'd be interested if they took another shot at this after lockdown with better production values (obviously) and a little more time on the scripts. After all, this has been thrown together and broadcast in just twelve weeks.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 12, 2020, 10:17:34 PM

There's footage of him getting stuck up a ski lift in the snow on children's TV programme Vision On with him effing and blinding at the camera.

Luckily there was no sound.

Unluckily, Vision On was a programme for deaf children who are generally taught how to lip read at a very early age......

Malcy

Trying to remember if he swore as Archie in Still Game. Probably a few 'yer arse' and maybe a 'pish' or two but can't remember.

Thomas

In Remembrance of the Daleks he does say 'drink piss Davros twat'.

Remember The Trip? It's back. Without a trip.

dissolute ocelot

Sheen's done a bit of comedy and panel games and stuff recently but whenever I see him "as himself" I can't help but associate him with reports about children dying in horrible numbers in some desolate corner of the world. Does he at least wear a wig in this?

VelourSpirit

Unfortunately censored but you can imagine he is good at it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO0CGeNe-lY

Malcy

Fair do's to anyone that spotted a TARDIS in Tennant's back garden. Just saw a pic of it and didnt see it at all.

Have recommended this to a few people and they've all enjoyed it.

timebug

I liked it. Harmless fluff with two mates just pissing about. Nice to relax to shortly before bed.

Noodle Lizard

Sheen's the only remotely good thing about it. Gubbins, otherwise.

Malcy

Series 2 starts 4th Jan. Looking forward to some more. Did anyone watch the extended versions on Netflix? I think the extra bits have been uploaded to YouTube but haven't watched them yet.

olliebean

I didn't realise the versions on Netflix were extended. They kept that a bit quiet.

Malcy

2nd series starts tonight at 9.45. Whole lot up on iPlayer around then i would think.

Malcy

Quote from: olliebean on December 10, 2020, 08:54:04 PM
I didn't realise the versions on Netflix were extended. They kept that a bit quiet.

Here's the extended stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcmWNEyUzm4