Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:17:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Final" or "Last" movies that actually were

Started by Famous Mortimer, June 11, 2020, 07:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

How many movies that have "Final" or "Last" in their titles are actually the final or last instalments of their respective franchises? Has that term ever not been a lie?

SavageHedgehog

The Naked Gun 33 1\3: The Final Insult, which ironically they probably had no intention of making any kind of finale.

If you wanted to be incredibly generous you could say Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare is at least the last original Elm Street film; Wes Craven's New Nightmare is set in the "real" world, Freddy Vs Jason starts off with a montage of clips from the previous films but shares no continuity or cast and isn't a sequel per say, and the remake is a remake. A half truth at very best, but better than you can say for Friday the 13th or Saw.

mjwilson

The Final Destination franchise found a loophole for your question.

Mister Six

The inverse of this is probably The Neverending Story 3.

Shit Good Nose

A mate of mine - an Eagles obsessive - has seen more "final tours" of theirs than regular ones in support of an album.

Just thought it was apposite to mention here, even though it's not films.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Mister Six on June 11, 2020, 08:34:31 PMThe inverse of this is probably The Neverending Story 3.

A proper joke on CaB! Made me larf.

Bad Ambassador

SteveDave

rue the polywhirl

The Last Of The Mohicans - there has been no movie sequel as far as I am aware so that's probably the last in the Mohicans series.

chveik

The Yakuza Papers 5: Final Episode

The Last Temptation of Christ

Inspector Norse

The Last Movie was not what it said on the tin

Inspector Norse

The Last Days of Disco was rendered redundant by the 2000 revival

Inspector Norse

Ferngully may yet prove to be The Last Rainforest

beanheadmcginty

Bad Ambassador

purlieu

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 12, 2020, 03:04:41 PM
Last of the Summer Wine
They did the prequel, First of the Summer Wine, well after it had started, so in some senses, not even that counts.

Dr Rock

Dr Rock

easytarget

Bad Ambassador

Brundle-Fly

The Omen 3: The Final Conflict (1981) was close but no cigar.

Bad Ambassador

There was a fourth Omen film for television.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 14, 2020, 06:03:31 PM
There was a fourth Omen film for television.

Awakening. Does TV sequels count? Psycho 4 was made for TV

Deanjam

Whichever Final Fantasy they make last with count.

The Last Jedi was anything but, however people seemed to hate the next one even more, so I imagine they'd be happy to draw a line under it.

Blumf

Conversely, Batman Begins was nowhere near the first Batman film.

dissolute ocelot

Final Analysis thankfully never spawned a sequel (although Fatal Instinct was a parody of it and others).

The Italians seem really fond of final films: Misery was known as O Capítulo Final (The Final Chapter), Armageddon was Giudizio finale (Final Judgment), and less accurately Aliens 2 was Scontro finale (Final Battle).

Arnie deserves credit for Last Action Hero, End of Days, and Last Stand, none of which seem to have had sequels. Or maybe that was just the career slump. Much better than The Bourne Antepenultimatum for sure.