Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Character assasination du jour

Started by Adrian Brezhnev, May 12, 2005, 12:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Brezhnev

I am a relative newcomer for these boards. For a while, I read them with interest, but then somehow felt the urge to start posting myself.

People have clearly discovered CAB over the years in a variety of ways, and are motivated for widely differing ways in how they post.

What intrigues me is that I have managed to start a post (and contribute to others others) that has resulted in interesting comments from the majority of people visiting, but largely lead to severe attacks on my character, often founded, often (I suggest not).

It would appear that this happens to a number of people here, often regardless of the subject in hand. I think it's great to have widely differing opinions in everything, but I for one never asked "Dumping a girlfriend" to become the 20 page blockbuster that it did.

Earlier this week, people were getting so upset by it that they would scream lines like "Please lock this thread!" What's all that about? Are people scared of what it may contain in the future? Or is it simply a case of it taking valuable bandwidth away from other potential uses?

Who knows.... but could I suggest that any insults against me (and others) be posted here, then other threads could remain much more pure and on topic.

Just an idea.....

Frinky

LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOOOOOOOKY

Lady Beaner

Please tell me thats the 'jangling' of keys I can hear!

Adrian Brezhnev

Quote from: "Frinky"LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOOOOOOOKY
Frinky... are your replies always that predictable?

Captain Crunch

Quote from: "Lady Beaner"Please tell me thats the 'jangling' of keys I can hear!

Unless it gets derailed.  So Lady Beaner, read any good books lately?

Lee

Quote from: "Adrian Brezhnev"
Quote from: "Frinky"LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOOOOOOOKY
Frinky... are your replies always that predictable?
Oh give him a break. At least it didn't have Sophie Ellis-Bextor in it.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "Adrian Brezhnev"Frinky... are your replies always that predictable?
I honestly can't believe your gall! You accuse one of the most interesting posters here of being predictable.  That's surely for the irony factor, no?

Borboski

Breznhev, you were rubbish compared to Kruschev.

Look at me, I'm wonderful, shoobie do aaaaahhh, I'm not a bit like you or you, I'm a super showbiz star...

I love Frinky, he is tall and designed for sheltering tiny persons like me in times of carnage, bad weather and strong sunlight.  Please do not leave me in direct sunlight, store in a cool and dry place.

Oh wait, character assassination.  I hate Frinky.  Where is PT?  He'd love this.

Lady Beaner

Quote from: "Captain Crunch"
Quote from: "Lady Beaner"Please tell me thats the 'jangling' of keys I can hear!

Unless it gets derailed.  So Lady Beaner, read any good books lately?

I made the nig mistake of trying to re-read a Dan Brown book this morning on the tube, but got distracted by a very smelly old tramp who decided to join the morning commuters... which was nice.

I do need something 'fresh' to read, but nothing has taken my fancy lately!  What say you?

Saturday Boy

Quote from: "Lady Beaner"
I made the nig mistake of trying to re-read a Dan Brown book this morning on the tube

Dan Brown... On the tube?!?!

I remember someone saying it was possible to read White Teeth without buying it because someone on your carriage would have a copy on the page you were up to. Same with LOTR, Harry Potter, and now, anything by Dan Brown.

Get Michael Chrichton - Sphere. Don't see the film though, it's well bargain.

Rubella

^ Belle De Jour 'The Diary of a London Call Girl'

I'm enjoying it anyway - fascinating read and very witty.

Frinky

Quote from: "Saturday Boy"Get Michael Chrichton - Sphere. Don't see the film though, it's well bargain.

Aww, c'mon - worst ending ever.

Lady Beaner

Its true about the Dan Brown explosion on the tube. I do feel a bit like a sheep!
I HAVE to read on the tube, else I will fall asleep.  Does anyone else do that 'bobbing head' thing when trying to NOT fall asleep?

Rubella, I am definitely going to try and get my hands on that book.  Sounds interesting!

Saturday Boy

The ending of the book was class!

And it actually made sense. Now, the film... when the ***** **** ** *** ** *** **** with a splash, I just thought "bah, shouldn't ** **** **** **********?"

Not as good as the ending of The Andromeda Strain, i'll give you that, but it had a nice few ideas running around.

kjkinky

if its ideas for books you after try "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski - may be a bit big for reading on tube though...

Captain Crunch

Just finished 'Jennifer Government' and 'The Life and Loves of a She Devil' (I was just curious) but I wouldn't recommend either of them.

I'd recommend David Lee Roth's 'Crazy from the Heat' - don't let the reputation sway you, it's the most amazing book I've read in the past year.  The few people I've managed to force into reading it have all agreed so far so get down to Music Zone and part with that £2.97!

zozman

Is this the new "I have nothing of worth to say" thread then?  There goes some more bandwidth.  Todays good news is that i'm off to register to get married (or something) this afternoon.  Everybody on here is doing it lately daaaarling (apart from Adrian obviously).  Wedding's not for another year though.  

Oh, and I had a ham sandwich for my dinner.

Lady Beaner

Have you ever read a book that you were totally geared up for thinking 'this is bollocks', but then found it amazing?

I did that with Laura Esquivel's 'Like Water For Chocolate', which later became a C4 film.  I am not one for fantasy and romance, but this book blew me away and to this day I still have no idea why.  Just one of the books that I never get tired of reading!

Saturday Boy

It's a book thread.

Douglas Rushkoff - The Ecstacy Club

Horrible cover, awful concept, one of the most fantastic, funny, witty and intreuging books I've ever had the pleasure to read.

It's a great mix of characters, druggy silliness, out-there philosophy/sci-fi, and of course, a beautiful love story.

Gazeuse

I've seen quite a few films made fro Crichton books and they all seem to start brilliantly with interesting concepts and they sort of fizzle out at the end...Are the books better???

oceanthroats

The Glue Balloon by Fergus Teague. Awful. Awful. Awful.

Adrian Brezhnev

"Godchildren" by Nicholas Coleridge.... an excellent read.

Saturday Boy

Quote from: "Gazeuse"I've seen quite a few films made fro Crichton books and they all seem to start brilliantly with interesting concepts and they sort of fizzle out at the end...Are the books better???

God yes!

Jurrasic Park, Sphere, The Lost World, Airframe, The Andromeda Strain and a few others are fantastic. Congo and Disclosure had some really good bits.

Timeline and that last one about nano-bots were a bit wank.

Frinky

Yes, I'm still dreaming of the day they do a 3 hour, entirely-faithful-to-the-book version of Jurrasic Park, with the same actors, the same sets, and the same special effects.

It is unlikely to happen.

Gazeuse

falafel

micanio

Futebol - The Brazilian Way of Life by Alex Bellos. Rereading it actually. A great book about how football has become so dominant in Brazil... well worth a read even if you don't like football...

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Frinky"Yes, I'm still dreaming of the day they do a 3 hour, entirely-faithful-to-the-book version of Jurrasic Park, with the same actors, the same sets, and the same special effects.

It is unlikely to happen.

It would almost have been enough if they'd just used all the really good bits they missed out (the midget elephant, the crocodile-style T-Rex, Hammond's death etc) in one of the sequels.

This is the best thing I've read in ages, and I'm only on Book Two: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2981.

Character assassinations? Oh I know all about them...